Nintendo DS: One man's impressions after buying one.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
After playing a friend's DS, and realizing how much nicer the screen is compared to a GBA-SP, I scooped one up. I really like the solid feel of this system, and while it is lacking in terms of actual DS software, new releases like Zelda: The Minish Cap and lots of other great GBA games are more than enough to keep me busy until Castlevania and other DS games come out. The bigger D-pad and real backlit
screen are welcome indeed.

I need to get the OG NES Castlevania now, and a bunch of other GBA games on my mental list.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Loopz said:
After playing a friend's DS, and realizing how much nicer the screen is compared to a GBA-SP, I scooped one up. I really like the solid feel of this system, and while it is lacking in terms of actual DS software, new releases like Zelda: The Minish Cap and lots of other great GBA games are more than enough to keep me busy until Castlevania and other DS games come out. The bigger D-pad and real backlit
screen are welcome indeed.

I need to get the OG NES Castlevania now, and a bunch of other GBA games on my mental list.

The backlit screen is much better than the horrible frontlit GBASP screen (or the dim GBA screen), but its a shame they wasted the resources on an extra screen, when they could have just stuck with a single, larger, backlit screen . . . and GBA games would have looked and played even better. IMHO, they blew the design in that one major area in a huge way. :oh_no:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
chimpmeister said:
The backlit screen is much better than the horrible frontlit GBASP screen (or the dim GBA screen), but its a shame they wasted the resources on an extra screen, when they could have just stuck with a single, larger, backlit screen . . . and GBA games would have looked and played even better. IMHO, they blew the design in that one major area in a huge way. :oh_no:

Man, thats the point of it having 2 screens...

If you played Mr. Driller you would see how cool it actually is...

I own both systems, (DS and PSP) both are great, and if I had to pick one, it would be the DS, just for the GBA library alone.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:

Stretched out GBA games? They look bad enough at 1x.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
buy Feel the Magic and Ridge Racer DS

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
chimpmeister said:

They're trying to do something different. It may end up paying off with some very cool, unique titles. I'm reserving judgement for now, I basically consider it like I bought a high-end GBA with a better screen and D-pad. Judging it at this point is really premature.

I dream of a arcade-style Punch-Out!!! with the double-screen love.
Castlevania will be nice to not have to toggle to the map back and forth.
I should pick up Mr. Driller.

As far as durability, I know for damn sure the DS will beat the hell out of PSP.
That isn't to say there aren't PSP games I wanna play, because there sure are, but I'm honestly a bit frightened to buy a launch unit, given Sony's history.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I love my DS, but Mario 64 is the only game I've held onto for it, and it's getting old. I would kill for just one new DS game from Nintendo that was worth buying, like Mario Kart DS. It's a great substitute for the GBA with the bright screen and all, but the good DS titles are still a ways off. It's great hardware though, very solid and well designed. An analog control other than the touch screen would have been nice.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:

I heard that lik3 orginaly,

They were going to have one big screen likeyou said. But one of the buttons were in the way. SO rather than make the system any bigger or have a button that is unresponive, they went with two screens...

yep yep yep

thats wat 1 hurd.

What a major design flaw.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
Ghost-Dog said:
I love my DS, but Mario 64 is the only game I've held onto for it, and it's getting old. I would kill for just one new DS game from Nintendo that was worth buying, like Mario Kart DS. It's a great substitute for the GBA with the bright screen and all, but the good DS titles are still a ways off. It's great hardware though, very solid and well designed. An analog control other than the touch screen would have been nice.

Did you try zoo keeper yet. If you like puzzle games, give it a whirl.

†B†V†

buster_broon

The Rock,
TonK said:
I own both systems, (DS and PSP) both are great, and if I had to pick one, it would be the DS, just for the GBA library alone.

i'm the proud owner of both as well now and the PSP is a fragile pos

the games look stunning and the video is amazing but you dont dare touch it incase bits fall off

still a ds man i'm afraid