US PSP launch: Date, March 24th, Price $249.99

It both looks and feels flimsy. As I've said from day one- this is a portable for people that don't play games on the go. I'd be terrified to have it with me in public.

BIG

sony fanboy
jethrek said:
It both looks and feels flimsy. As I've said from day one- this is a portable for people that don't play games on the go. I'd be terrified to have it with me in public.

Have you actually played it?

Don't get me wrong,I love Nintendo,and I would like to see the DS succeed as much as the next guy,but this quote here is simply ludicrous.

BIG-

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
Yeah,I'm glad that Sony decided on a higher price tag,since this will prolong the life of the DS,as they could 've easily just kill off the DS by launching the PSP at $150.

BIG-
actually... I Don't think its true.

I have played the DS and PSP - 4 games a piece.

the psp looks nicer (graphic wise), but overall system... I Am leaning towards the DS. Gameplay wise...... it can offer a lot more..... especially with the touch screen.

The PSP will be nearly all 3d based, while there is great 2d and 3d stuff coming to the DS.

I think the DS is going to fair out quit well when their top notch titles start rolling out.

†B†V†

BIG

sony fanboy
Bluevoodu said:
actually... I Don't think its true.

I have played the DS and PSP - 4 games a piece.

the psp looks nicer (graphic wise), but overall system... I Am leaning towards the DS. Gameplay wise...... it can offer a lot more..... especially with the touch screen.

The PSP will be nearly all 3d based, while there is great 2d and 3d stuff coming to the DS.

I think the DS is going to fair out quit well when their top notch titles start rolling out.

†B†V†

You care to make a little wager on this here quote,Dave? ;)

Just about every aspect of the PSP,outside of the dead-pixel (the DS also experienced this issue at launch,as well) and square button issues,is far superior to that of the DS. I know,I currently own a PSP,and I used to own a DS...:glee:

I'm not saying that the DS is a bad system,but I do feel that it is somewhat lacking in terms of innovation and creativity. Seriously,how many more N64 ports do we need,and just where exactly are the games that will fully support the true use of the touch screen and make good use of the Stylus other than for the purpose of gimmicry?

BIG-

Snooptalian

Hairdresser, ,
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
Seriously,how many more N64 ports do we need,and just where exactly are the games that will fully support the true use of the touch screen and make good use of the Stylus other than for the purpose of gimmicry?

BIG-

Warioware does a nice job of making use of the touch screen. Damn good game IMO. Surely more good DS games will finally be released, it looks as though the DS was simply released too early. Not enough software to support it yet...

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
You care to make a little wager on this here quote,Dave? ;)

Just about every aspect of the PSP,outside of the dead-pixel (the DS also experienced this issue at launch,as well) and square button issues,is far superior to that of the DS. I know,I currently own a PSP,and I used to own a DS...:glee:

I'm not saying that the DS is a bad system,but I do feel that it is somewhat lacking in terms of innovation and creativity. Seriously,how many more N64 ports do we need,and just where exactly are the games that will fully support the true use of the touch screen and make good use of the Stylus other than for the purpose of gimmicry?

BIG-
If I had any extra cash right now, I would put some on that wafer.... But all the spare cash I have is floating to formula lol. And I am back to school full time so its not getting any better.

I think the DS is going to do a heck of a lot better than what you think.

The games are more unique than what you can get on a console.
Wait till Castlevania hits..... and a ton of the RPG's.

The PSP only has graphics going for it right now. I have been playing this psp for many hours straight to get the feel of it. I play Dynasty Warriors, Puzzle Bobble Pocket, VAmpire Chronicle, and Puyo Pop Fever. NOTHING there is any different that what you can get on a console. Puyo Pop Fever is identical to my Gamecube version. Vampire Chronicle controls ok at best.

The controls on the PSP are lacking and a bit loose. I am not talking about the square button either.

I was going to buy a PSP as well.... but I cannot stand the screen smudges from just pressing a button and controlling the game (because they are too close to the screen). I have to clean the thing off of finger prints every time I play (on the system front side case, not the screen).

sure, I like the big screen.... but beyond that *so far* it doesn't offer much.
and I am not going to be watching a movie on this either.... lol.

†B†V†

why are they only making us buy a value pack? is it cuz the standered didnt do well in japan or what? i think 250 is a little to high i would rather buy a standered pack and buy my own accessories i dont need a memory chip got one, i dont need useless head phones, i dont need a cloth and i dont want there lame samples besides the spider man movie.. with that i could buy 2 games for it, or buy me another damn console with 2 games,... though im still gettin the psp regardless of the price.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
Most analyst believe its profits. Sony will make more money this way initially and it would look good at the end of their fiscal year. I bet the normal one will come out after that, probably before European launch since they delayed it to Spring.

PlayerOne

Marked Wolf
Yes, I expect it's a stealth price rise. The extra crap in the Value Pack probably costs next to nothing to make, so the profit margin is higher. Also, they probably figure that they can sell all they make whatever the price, so they might as well charge more, but throw in the extra bits to stop buyers feeling ripped off.

They just don't seem to be able to make enough of them. That has to be annoying for Sony, and will be a worry for developers.

Bigp0ppaLarge said:
Have you actually played it?

Don't get me wrong,I love Nintendo,and I would like to see the DS succeed as much as the next guy,but this quote here is simply ludicrous.

BIG-

Yes, I have.

Call me when you take your foot out of your mouth.

The system was pretty much dead-on my expectations though.

BIG

sony fanboy
jethrek said:
Yes, I have.

Call me when you take your foot out of your mouth.

The system was pretty much dead-on my expectations though.

Laughable,we'll see when the PSP hit your favorite storeshelves ;)

BIG-

BIG

sony fanboy
Bluevoodu said:
If I had any extra cash right now, I would put some on that wafer.... But all the spare cash I have is floating to formula lol. And I am back to school full time so its not getting any better.

I think the DS is going to do a heck of a lot better than what you think.

The games are more unique than what you can get on a console.
Wait till Castlevania hits..... and a ton of the RPG's.

The PSP only has graphics going for it right now. I have been playing this psp for many hours straight to get the feel of it. I play Dynasty Warriors, Puzzle Bobble Pocket, VAmpire Chronicle, and Puyo Pop Fever. NOTHING there is any different that what you can get on a console. Puyo Pop Fever is identical to my Gamecube version. Vampire Chronicle controls ok at best.

The controls on the PSP are lacking and a bit loose. I am not talking about the square button either.

I was going to buy a PSP as well.... but I cannot stand the screen smudges from just pressing a button and controlling the game (because they are too close to the screen). I have to clean the thing off of finger prints every time I play (on the system front side case, not the screen).

sure, I like the big screen.... but beyond that *so far* it doesn't offer much.
and I am not going to be watching a movie on this either.... lol.

†B†V†

I hope so Dave,I'd hate to see Nintendo reduced to a mere rubble,as it will mark the end of the 2-D era as we know it....:(

But yeah,I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the time comes now,wouldn't we?

BIG-

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I've owned 13 PSP's so far, and almost all of them had a defect...

I sold 2 to BigChai and he didnt have a problem with either of them... one was my personal unit which didn't have any dead pixels.

But every other PSP I got had at least 1 dead pixel.

Other problems worth noting from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

- Squeaky "right" on the D-Pad

- Analog cap popping off

- EASILY and I mean EASILY scratch magnet... I take GREAT care of my stuff... if people put this in their backpack or whatever, it will be a total mess.

- Memory Stick door is ALWAYS loose...

- Square button not responding

- L and R triggers jamming

- UMD door popping open for no reason (2 actually did this)

- Disc read errors for no reason

- Battery jiggling around inside the battery bay

- Battery bay door not staying tightly closed

- UMD door not tightly closing

- Speakers gargle at higher volumes

Problems with my DS Systems?

- Honestly, none.

Bluevoodu said:
†B†V†

I think the touch screen is just a terrible idea. I refuse to buy a game if it makes me use it. Now an RPG would be ok but for any type of action I find it a huge pain in the rear.

For me it's a glorified GBA at this point, but heavier.

B

Bigp0ppaLarge said:
Laughable,we'll see when the PSP hit your favorite storeshelves ;)

BIG-

What's this? Short on another half-thought-out two-bit speculation? It's not my fault your poorly concieved, cookie cutter response happened to be false, bigpoopa. :smirk:

Last edited:

BIG

sony fanboy
jethrek said:
What's this? Short on another half-thought-out two-bit speculation? It's not my fault your poorly concieved, cookie cutter response happened to be false, bigpoopa. :smirk:

True or false,we shall see in a few short weeks now won't we? ;)

BIG-

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
brentsg said:
I think the touch screen is just a terrible idea. I refuse to buy a game if it makes me use it. Now an RPG would be ok but for any type of action I find it a huge pain in the rear.

For me it's a glorified GBA at this point, but heavier.

B

Sounds like the PSP would be the system for you then! :mr_t:

I already picked up a DS so I don't see a PSP in my near future. I played thru Feel the Magic and got pretty far in Super Mario 64 DS, but right now I'm waiting for teh games to come out. Pretty much playing GBA on it right now (Finally almost beat Circle of the Moon though :buttrock: )

The PSP looks awesome technologically, but there aren't enough games that scream must have for me yet. I already have a PS2. And I can wait for a price drop...

But, I think both systems will do well... Apples iPod won't need to lose any sleep over the PSP though...

Ben