RGB bypass mod

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Stupid question, what do the yellow boxes indicate? Removal of those resistors?

Kiel

20 Year Member
It worked, I no longer have the checkerboard problem!

Only issue now is the image is a little unstable/wavy at the top of the screen. Any ideas what might be causing this MKL? If not I can live with it, it's a lot less irratating than the checker...

Kiel

20 Year Member
Nevermind, it seems the problem has worked itself out.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Remove the yellow wire and put back the resistor to restore composite video instead of composite sync:

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3264/35b.jpg

As for the checkerboard effect, further tests would be necessary to establish the cause. The layout is pretty much identical to that of a 3-3 or 3-4 revision so I have no idea at the moment. I don't remember seeing anything like that though so I wonder if you would see the same effect with a 3-3 or 3-4 board.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Thank you for all the help, the image quality is amazing.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Another question, I will be getting a revision 3-6 system and if I preform the 3 trace cutting mod would composite video still work?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yes it will. The 3 trace cut/removal gets rid of the vertical line problem.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Sefer Halilović (Xian Xi --if you refuse to deal with him over a name change a mod will stab*;3030911 said:
*you with a goddam spork and watch you slowly bleed into oblivion while dancing the two-step and screaming "I'M THE SECOND COMING OF THE RAPTOR-JESUS AND YOU'RE ALL ABOUT TO GO EXTINCT!" over and over and over as you just wish a bullet could take**
Oh my god... :blow_top:

Kiel

20 Year Member
Sefer Halilović (Xian Xi --if you refuse to deal with him over a name change a mod will stab*;3030875 said:
Yes it will. The 3 trace cut/removal gets rid of the vertical line problem.

Okay, this system has an s video mod so I'm guessing if the composite still works that would as well?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well, if the RGB trace cut was done properly then everthing should still be working. I've had to fix an AES that had an incorrect trace cut, instead of cutting the extra traces that run under the clock and to the NTSC area, he cut the main RGB traces.

So if you are getting composite then the RGB is still coming into the encoder which is a good thing.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Sefer Halilović (Xian Xi --if you refuse to deal with him over a name change a mod will stab*;3031154 said:
Well, if the RGB trace cut was done properly then everthing should still be working. I've had to fix an AES that had an incorrect trace cut, instead of cutting the extra traces that run under the clock and to the NTSC area, he cut the main RGB traces.

So if you are getting composite then the RGB is still coming into the encoder which is a good thing.

*fixing display.

Kiel

20 Year Member
It will be waiting for me when I get home today, we'll see what happens.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's funny when you imagine his avatar is explaining about the S-video.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I have a 3-5 with the checkboard pattern but I'm not using RGB via the AV socket so what causes the problem with the internal side?

I don't know. There are a few layout differences between 3-5 and 3-4 but it's difficult to say what could be causing that. One notable difference is that on the 3-5 the mono out from the CXA runs very very close to the R input to the CXA. This is not the case on either 3-4 or 3-6. But I wouldn't expect that to give any problems. Try disabling mono by removing the 10uF cap connected to pin 8 of the CXA. It doesn't hurt to try...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'll try that in the morning and report back.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hmm, that didn't change anything but turns out the checkerboard effect I was experiencing was from using the ground from the headphone jack also for video. Once I disconnected it from the video and tapped it elsewhere the checkerboard was gone. I only get this from 3-5 though. This is the second time so I guess it's only from the 3-5.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Here's a picture of what I was seeing when I used the ground from the headphone jack for both audio and video.

35checker.jpg

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I've never had any problems using the same ground for video and audio. There's just one ground pin on the A/V port. Have you tried that?