PSP Memory Stick compatibility

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
I was reading the 'leaked' english manual and it said something about Audio can not be recorded on 'Pro Duo' Memory Stick. Why is this? What is the advantage of getting a Pro Duo stick then if the obvious dissadvantage is that you can record audio on it?

Also, I was reading a faq's on the PSP on GameFaqs and one of the frequently asked questions was about the Memory Stick( I think the question was, what memory size are avalible for it or something), and it said that there where reports of the 1 gig High Speed Memory Sticks were not reliable. Is there any truth to this?

Next, what is the differance between having a Magic Gate Memory Stick or just a regular one w/out Magic Gate? I read somewhere about encyrption on The Magic Gate, if thats the case wouldn't you rather have one without encryption so you could swap files with friends?

Finaly, what Mem Sticks do you guys recommend? I want a 1gig one. Should I go Sony, SanDisk, Magic Gate or not, Pro Duo or just Pro? Where is the best place to buy one?

Thanks

barf

Maxima's Barber
ajk1080 said:
I was reading the 'leaked' english manual and it said something about Audio can not be recorded on 'Pro Duo' Memory Stick. Why is this? What is the advantage of getting a Pro Duo stick then if the obvious dissadvantage is that you can record audio on it?

Also, I was reading a faq's on the PSP on GameFaqs and one of the frequently asked questions was about the Memory Stick( I think the question was, what memory size are avalible for it or something), and it said that there where reports of the 1 gig High Speed Memory Sticks were not reliable. Is there any truth to this?

Next, what is the differance between having a Magic Gate Memory Stick or just a regular one w/out Magic Gate? I read somewhere about encyrption on The Magic Gate, if thats the case wouldn't you rather have one without encryption so you could swap files with friends?

Finaly, what Mem Sticks do you guys recommend? I want a 1gig one. Should I go Sony, SanDisk, Magic Gate or not, Pro Duo or just Pro? Where is the best place to buy one?

Thanks

No, You can put music on duo pro memory sticks without any problem.

You do not have choice, memory sticks have magic gate. Afaik, the thing is if you protect data with magic gate someone else cannot copy or read it without the key once you have copied it on the stick (for your work sensible documents etc) which is a good thing.

You cannot use non-Duo memorysticks because the slot is for Duo only (memory sticks Duo are half the size of non-Duo memory sticks).

There is no non-pro memory sticks beyond 256MB.

You should get sandisk memory sticks, they are often half the price of sony ones, come with an adaptator (to use it in digital kamera with non-Duo slots), and are fast and reliable.

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
Not too sure what they mean by recording audio. I can certainly listen to MP3's on my 512 pro duo. Maybe they are talking about SonicStage and ATRAC3? I heard some rumblings from IGN on a mailbag that regular duo was supported in SonicStage.

Not to sure about the reliability of the 1gig sticks. I have only got a Sony 512 Pro Duo high speed, but have had no issues as far as reliability. Although if the PSP did have issues with the 1 and 2 gig memory sticks, thats nothing a future network update couldn't resolve.

As far as MagicGate goes, it is only needed for ATRAC3 via SonicStage. It doesn't affect any other files you place on there. You can still share any other files. Some early non-duo cards were without it, but all the newer cards tend to have it.

As PinkPeach suggested, SanDisk are good to go for, however, if you purchase a retail sony package, you will also receive the non-duo adaptor.

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
PinkPeach said:
No, You can put music on duo pro memory sticks without any problem.

Read page 27

PinkPeach said:
You do not have choice, memory sticks have magic gate. Afaik, the thing is if you protect data with magic gate someone else cannot copy or read it without the key once you have copied it on the stick (for your work sensible documents etc) which is a good thing.

I was in Best Buy today and saw Duo's w/out Magic Gate.

PinkPeach said:
You cannot use non-Duo memorysticks because the slot is for Duo only (memory sticks Duo are half the size of non-Duo memory sticks).

I ment the dif between Pro duo and just Duo.

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
I dont know....I guess thats why I am asking. This feature of not using atrac is not that big of a deal with Duo Pro?? Is Mp3 comparable quality or something?

Why are Duo cards only up to 256 while Pro Duo are up to/over 1 gig?

barf

Maxima's Barber
Ah, Atrac... well you can play atrac music, just replace the music of a savegame with yours, it s dodgy :)
Pro memory sticks do not use the same kind of memory chips inside afaik (they are much faster)

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
Replace the music of a save game with mine??? So if I have a game dl'ed from Sony over the net for the PSP or a game saved on my Mem STick the soundtrack wont work with a Pro Duo? I have to import my own soundtrack for the game??

barf

Maxima's Barber
I was just kidding, this is no solution, but you can change atrac3 plus musics in savegames (you will see it in the savegame folder) by yours. Atrac3 plus musics in savegames work on duo pro

If you have Ridge Racers or Minna no golf you can give it a try (i don t care atrac3 plus since i have nothing to encode them, i just listen to mp3s and they work perfectly)

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
Ohhhhh, (sorry I was dropped repeatedly as a small child), are you saying the imported music for a game(your own personal soundtracks in games that alow this feature) must be MP3 with a ProDuo for it to work and according to the manual atech does not work on ProDuos w/out some convert program?

I didnt know I could import tracks to the PSP, in the same fashon that you can import tracks to xboxs games like BurnOut3...very cool.

barf

Maxima's Barber
lol no, you did not understant :)

PSP games have presentation for their savegames in the menu (like the icon for psx, the small 3D model on PS2)

the PSP savegames presentation is:
a background filling the screen
a thumbnail (either a video or a still picture)
a music

the savegame music is an Atrac3 Plus track.

On the memory stick the savegames are not crippled, you can access, modify the thumbnail, the music the way you want

There could be a game using your own track but there s no such thing right now.

Anyway, you can play mp3 musics from a memory stick duo without problem. You can play Atrac 3 plus music too, but to do so you would have to rename it to the savegame music name (it s the same for every games). The problem is in fact a firmware problem imo, the music player just ignores atrac3 plus musics in the music folder

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
PinkPeach said:
the music player just ignores atrac3 plus musics in the music folder
Atrac must be checked into the psp using SonicStage to be playable. This is a program from Sony that normally comes with these sort of devices. I got my copy with my net minidisc. Apparently SonicStage supports Memory Stick Duo, but not Pro Duo. Thats why it says you cant "record" onto the psp.

Although why anyone would want to deal with all the copy protection baggage of atrac when mp3s are playable with little fuss is beyond me.