Konami shows more on the DS

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Looking like its gonna be another kickass installment of the Castlevania series (unlike the lame duck 3D ones).

But...I don't see much going on there that couldn't be done on the GBA. Besides using the stylus to seal away the bosses (wooo! innovation!), I don't see why this even needed to be on the DS.

I mean, its nice that we are getting another CV, but I would expect a little more from something thats capable of better than PS1 level 2d graphics.

Edit: OK, I just watched the video and it looks to be quite a bit more detailed and smoother than the past GBA CV games.

Last edited:
I wish I could see the movie, but don't have or intend to get an ign account. Igarashi's been boasting the DS can do better 2d than the Playstation....I'd really like to see this. :(

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
jethrek said:
I wish I could see the movie, but don't have or intend to get an ign account. Igarashi's been boasting the DS can do better 2d than the Playstation....I'd really like to see this. :(

Oh it probably can. If you think about it, the DS is a glorified N64 that let's you touch it. So yea, it probably can.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
That video looks totally kick ass... now i just need another 2 or so reasons to buy a ds... the games will come. Just not right now

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!

Sumez

The Ultimate 11
I still don't think the new DS Castlevania looks nearly as good as SotN.

The DS can do it.. Iga just needs the ambition!
Of course, a PS2, hi-res 2D SotN sequel would be much better. :)

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Man, the proof is in the video...

Watching it move, it looks a hell of a lot more graphically complex than the other GBA CV titles. This seems to be the real deal. Man, I'm fired up about this game far more than I was before. Seriously, everyone go watch the vid...it's free.

barf

Maxima's Barber
Jedah Doma said:
Oh it probably can. If you think about it, the DS is a glorified N64 that let's you touch it. So yea, it probably can.

Err.... no....
The DS is a dual ARM which allows 3D processing 1.5 times the one of the N64 but it is not a N64. You could compare 2 cars different motors from their horse power but they still won t be the exact same.

2D visualy speaking it has the GBA specs from nintendo's specs just that time it can handle i guess all the sprites at full size and the tilemaps full (the GBA couldn t due do its more limited vram). So if you want to see something beyond GBA, they will have to use a 3D technique, that is using quads instead of the tilemaps+sprites.

You can spot that in the game since obviously every sprite don t go farther than the 16 colours the GBA could. That is far less than the PSX SOTN you can believe me, i have had a hard time on some SOTN tries on MVS because i had to superpose several sprites one over another to get a good rendering.

If DS can do RGB textures (i doubt considering the RAM and the games currently available) or 256 colors paletted textures (more likely) then they could do true brilliant eye blowing 2D marvel.

I am bitter because the screenshots are not great and they are direct grabs, what you will experience considering DS LCD quality.
i had bigger hopes looking at scans because the paper lack of precision made colour blending and let me see some opportunity for improvement (from an already great game for a GBA).

All in all i feel like i could play this on a GBA (with a different seal system of course) without spending $180 -european launch price tag- on a new handheld hardware for a $28 game.

all of this is pointless but i just wanted to write :P

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Jedah Doma said:

I can't remember any good 2D game (actually, was there any at all?) in the N64, so I don't see what the fact that the DS is "like a better N64" have to do with this game and the DS having better 2D than the PSX.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Amano Jacu said:
I can't remember any good 2D game (actually, was there any at all?) in the N64, so I don't see what the fact that the DS is "like a better N64" have to do with this game and the DS having better 2D than the PSX.

It had Treasures Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh (aka. Bangai-O) :D

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Mischief Makers by Treasure...

Anyhoo, that CV is jaw dropping.

I think it looks better than SOTN... SOTN being my favorite game of all time.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
why would you use quads instead of tri's

the early nvidia pcx1 cards used hardware quads instead of tri's too, as did the sega saturn, same chipset I believe. They are easier to work with in a human sense I guess.

hmm

barf

Maxima's Barber
TonK said:
Mischief Makers by Treasure...

Anyhoo, that CV is jaw dropping.

I think it looks better than SOTN... SOTN being my favorite game of all time.

you have not played it since a long time i guess, check it back :) Color shades and general level art is much better (i spents hours on it cuting the background tiles, on a PC screen so same screen precision as the ds screenshots) but that is just my opinion (since beauty perception is verry personal).

C.A.R25

Genjuro's Frog
Looks like it will be a fun game...

But I wander if it's possible to see a CV series on the PSP :envy: ? With more 2D capabilities on a larger, brighter screen... that I would salivate over for :drool_2:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
PinkPeach said:
you have not played it since a long time i guess, check it back :) Color shades and general level art is much better (i spents hours on it cuting the background tiles, on a PC screen so same screen precision as the ds screenshots) but that is just my opinion (since beauty perception is verry personal).

You are right, I might be passing judgement too soon....

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
This and the new yugioh game are giving me high hopes for whats coming this year.

BIG

sony fanboy
Castlevania DS looks AWESOME,I can't wait to play it!

The DS is really shaping up to be a neat little system,and here's hoping that the big N and friends keep at it and bless us with more innovative titles and not just more of the same N64 rehashes.

BIG-

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Lookin' pretty good!

I'm always up for some 2D Castlevania action ... :drool_2:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
wow.
screen shots don't do it justice.
the video looks pretty nice.
not sotn nice.
but... nice?
better than what i thought anyways.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Let's not forget the fact that it appears we will finally be able to leave the castle!