Real Bout Fatal Fury - Classic-Shock FF

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
With some of the recent inserts ive been playing around with, the constant theme is that the Front Art takes up the entire page rather than boxed in ala Classic style. I recently purchased Real Bout: Fatal Fury. I always loved the artwork for this title but I thought about giving it the Full Frontal treatment.

Classic-Shock FF (Full Frontal) series is born!
rbff-copy.jpg

The original spine has the logo chopped off to make it bigger. Im not sure which way to go with that as im not a big fan of the small spine logos.

The Logo and Back of this insert was taken from Big Bears release so special thanks to him!

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You know, I always wondered why the company insert image assembler never used the full illustration until I realized doing so would take the focus off of Geese.
What I'm thinking is allowing the illustration on the front cover to expand across the spine if possible and the replace the small logo with a larger size.
I am no huge fan of the small logo's myself that is why I plan to go back and redo some.
I am waaay overdue for another release or two.
ohno.gif

-BB

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Something like this?

rbfftry2v2.jpg

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Keep it up and we'll go far together :D
Where is the meg count box on the fron?? Gotta have the meg count box no matter what it obscures :D
Oh yeah! forgot to mention you need the RBFF logo small to the bottom right over the Neo Geo logo and red stripes OR probably better just above Geese's head.. you know,fit it right above so you are not obstructing much.
Center from his head to the top.

-BB

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Yeah ive been wondering about the Front Meg Count thing myself but I think with this new wave of inserts, i thought i might just keep it out of the front. Ive also been debating on the Logo's as well. I might just keep a nice fat logo on the spines and keep the front clean when possible (again this is just another idea).

Best thing for me to do is to print them out and see how they look in the SB's. Went to Kinkos today to try out 2 of the new ones ive done and Im especially pleased with RBFF the way it is. KOF2k3 front art is def. better imo to the standard artwork. The "silver" spine didnt win my heart but it doesnt look half bad.
spines.jpg

frontal.jpg

spread.jpg

Its a new year and a new way of doing things, im having fun playing around with these ideas though. Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Some things Id like some feedback on are:
Front Megcount box : Yay or Nay?
Front Logo: Yay or Nay?

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
If you remove the meg count, you should remove all of the structure on the front as well as the stripes on the back cover. It would definitely look better. Just looks abit strange now without the meg count and the rest of the structure in place.
-BB

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
Some things Id like some feedback on are:
Front Megcount box : Yay or Nay?
Front Logo: Yay or Nay?[/QUOTE]

Yay for both :multi_co:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
New style with old tradition

rbfftrad.jpg

is the logo too small?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
How about removing the logo from that top position and placing it to the right where Hopper's(guy w/glasses & hair)(?) middle section is. Allow a small portion of the logo to touch the gold ara of Gees'es chair. Just a tad.
I was thinking the logo could be ala Fatal Fury Special front cover.
-BB

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
How about removing the logo from that top position and placing it to the right where Hopper's(guy w/glasses & hair)(?) middle section is. Allow a small portion of the logo to touch the gold ara of Gees'es chair. Just a tad.
I was thinking the logo could be ala Fatal Fury Special front cover.
-BB

heres a few position options i came up with from your feedback.

rbfflogo.jpg

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
NeoCverA, all of these look great, but I think that you were going in the right direction with the way you did the inserts that you pictured in post #7. I like seeing the player count and SNK or SNK Playmore logos on the front of the box the way have done in these, the meg count is on the spine is not really needed on the front... and the cover looks so clean this way! :buttrock:

I say go with that idea... :smirk:

As for the front logo, I don't think that it is needed, but if you feel it is needed I like the bottom right version that you have done the best.

Again AWESOME work here as usual! :multi_co:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
NeoCverA said:

rbfflogo.jpg

TOP RIGHT, make the RBFF logo a tad smaller imo.
-BB

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
NeoCverA said:

This one is the best, IMO.

The "full frontal" inserts are a terrific idea, btw, and RBFF is a great way to start them off. Definitely one of my top five SNK inserts.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
This one is the best, IMO.

The "full frontal" inserts are a terrific idea, btw, and RBFF is a great way to start them off. Definitely one of my top five SNK inserts.
Got to agree with Galfordo on this one. Some things are so classic, you don't need the title on the front. Think when the first Keaton Batman movie came out. The poster just had the bat...no words. Saying "Batman" would have been redundant. So is it here. The Real Bout logo looks funny any place you try to put it on the front, and it obscures the best game main illustration Shinkiro ever did -- maybe the best anyone ever did.

From a design standpoint (having gone to school for that), if you do decide to have the title on the front, avoid having it barely touch the edge of the chair, as it does in all except the lower-right (out of that group of 4). That creates a tangent, which generally fucks things up. The one in the lower-right that covers the chair leg works the best of those 4, but as I said, I think it works best of all without the title at all.

And my 2 cents: fuck the meg count. It's on the side, if someone ever pulls a gun on you and demands you tell them how many megs the game is. Otherwise, I don't really know why you'd care in the first place. The picture is more important.

super-saiya-jin

I wish I really were French
i dont mean to be a fuck tard but i just hate the spine logo going on to the front of the insert

i agree with galfordo, the "full frontal" insert is the best

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
NeoCverA said:
rbfftrad.jpg

is the logo too small?

Can I ask where you got that Duck King art and where maybe I can find other art of him at a comparable quality.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
Can I ask where you got that Duck King art and where maybe I can find other art of him at a comparable quality.

The back is from the original AES insert which Big Bear provided, I didn't lay it out myself.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
It's from Shinkiro's official RBFF art. You should be able to find it in any RBFF mook, etc., or maybe the newer (post-'95) SNK artwork books.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
NeoCverA said:

rbfflogo.jpg

I like the bottom right, it does cover the characters up as bad.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
13 years ago, never forget.

Last edited: