*UPDATED* NeoGeo proto screenshots

OlderGames

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
lithy said:
If he would consider selling one of the games, I believe that the community can group up as we were looking to do with Chris Ray's 'protos' (still don't know what was up with these) and buy a couple of them so that they can be dumped, that way no single person has a gigantic investment in a cart that makes them think twice about making their cart worthless.

This never happens because people don't
have the balls/seriousness/means to follow through.

If a *SERIOUS* effort was put forth to have the community
go all in and get these dumped and have the cart sold on
ebay then dividing the resell price amongst the initial investors
then count OlderGames in for a some bucks.

This would have to be a serious effort and someone like
JK would *HAVE TO* be involved. This is very possible
but I've never seen it done and this is coming from the
guy who at one time owned both master disks for half-life
and prop arena for the dreamcast in addition to one of
2 known alien -vs- predator nearly complete lynx protos
and the all beloved Super Mario's Wacky Worlds on the CD-i.

Unless people get involved and stick to their guns this
will undoubtedly end up in a private collection or stay
where it is. I've dealt in protos many times and own too
many to count. Neo Protos are worth a lot and it would
be a shame to see some of these go for the sake of
value and collectability.

I'll keep my fingers crossed but forgive me if
I don't wish to suffocate whilst holding my breath. :mr_t:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
OlderGames said:

JK would *HAVE TO* be involved. This is very possible

Unless people get involved and stick to their guns this
will undoubtedly end up in a private collection or stay
where it is. I've dealt in protos many times and own too
many to count. Neo Protos are worth a lot and it would
be a shame to see some of these go for the sake of
value and collectability.

I'll keep my fingers crossed but forgive me if
I don't wish to suffocate whilst holding my breath. :mr_t:

I'll sit this one out, as the original investors of Ghostlop never got a proper "thanks" from anybody.

There were 6 of us I believe.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
SuperGun said:
-- "Chicago" game --
This one carries a 1994 copyright. The "Chicago" sub title may be of confusion to many here, but let it be known that in 1994 Microsoft's BETA of Windows '95 was being tested and was codenamed "Chicago". The beta fell through many hands and in the global view of things it was big news and hype. The programmers at Visco may have simply been tipping their hats (or downing their drinks!) during late night work sessions as is common practice among the over-worked & under-paid employees of software development houses. This title may have been the predeccessor to Crystal Legacy...which was of course the proto and working title for Breakers. Without an in-game screenshot, we don't have much to go on for now.
I remember an old article in Gamest magazine on this game -- it was an early version of Breakers. In addition to the different title, the early version also had a few different character names compared to the final version. If I can track down the particular issue of Gamest, I'll try to post some more info.

--Chris

D

dead_screem

SuperGun said:
-- Magic Master --
BAM! You got me with this one! I cannot hold back here! At first, I thought it MIGHT be the Japanese title screen for Mystic Wand. This based on the fact that many magazines back in 1991 mis-reported the title for Mystic Wand as "Magic Wand". However, after closer scrutiny that would not make sense as the screen is simply way different then that of Mystic Wand. However, the fonts used for the small display text lines are DEFINITELY those used in neo-geo games circa 1990/1991. So, it is more sensible to conclude that this game is one of the great long lost unknown and undiscovered "3 mysteries" which reside in game code locations 012, 013, and 015. Strong support of this theory is in that there is no copyright year displayed, (ALL the other shots had years) and finally in that "Magic Cram School" (never before reported) was in my files as a potential title for one of the 3 mystery spots. This one is HOT and I MUST have that NGH number! A TRUE discovery!
Id just like to point out that "Mahou Juku" translates to "Magic Cram School" (Juku = Cram school). So this game _is_ the "Magic Cram school" you mentioned. And "Magic Master" could have been this games potential US/EUR title.

Sumez

The Ultimate 11
OlderGames' "idea" sounds quite noble. But it sounds like a pretty pointless project, considering Xacrow has already dumped the roms...

OlderGames said:
This is very possible
Does this mean you "contributed" a dump of this? *hint*

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
OlderGames said:

JK would *HAVE TO* be involved.

How about if everyone would plunk down $10 for every Proto? So if we could get 100 Members here to give $10/proto , We'd get $1000 for every Proto to dump.

I'd be down with that, I'd follow through, I know I'd pay.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Whats funny is that all of you guys are "ready" to throw down the cash for these games, and you expect other people to do the same... $10, LMAO!

I'm not saying I'm rich, but it took 6 members and a large sum of cash each to "invest" in Ghostlop.

Like I said before, nobody thanked us, minus a few good people who PM'd me and said thanks.

You know what?

All of you got to play Ghostlop for FREE because of us.

I don't want to be a hero for it, but a little gratitude would be nice.

I'm one of the "investors" and if the others want to step forward, they can.

Remember al of the drama and hate Ghostlop caused?

These games are not about the love of gaming, they are about CASH!

Setsuna1982

World Her,
TonK said:
Whats funny is that all of you guys are "ready" to throw down the cash for these games, and you expect other people to do the same... $10, LMAO!

I'm not saying I'm rich, but it took 6 members and a large sum of cash each to "invest" in Ghostlop.

Like I said before, nobody thanked us, minus a few good people who PM'd me and said thanks.

You know what?

what i don't understand is why anybody must pay in order to play a rejected game. imagine people paying more to have a defective car

anyway thanks, tonk

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
Nope, it was a publicity stunt for his sale.
If you think that sale was legit, you're fucking kidding yourself.

Meh, I don't give two shits. I have seen those protos before.
I am glad no sale ever happened. Fucking waste of fifteen thousand dollars.

TonK said:
I'll sit this one out, as the original investors of Ghostlop never got a proper "thanks" from anybody.

Mike, I apreciate and respect the efforts you and a few others made but lets be seriouse. The whole Ghostlop thing turned into a circus and noone gave two shits about the game in the end. GL was the one proto that deserved to see the light of day and it did so there is at least one thing to be happy about.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Setsuna1982 said:
what i don't understand is why anybody must pay in order to play a rejected game. imagine people paying more to have a defective car

anyway thanks, tonk

Because people are greedy bastards...

This guy could release the roms and make everyone happy, but instead he wants to hoard them and release "ha ha, I have these games" screenshots.

Fuck him.

playboycougar

Reese. ,
TonK said:

You know what?

And that's it right there. Bottom line is this guy's not going to release these roms, or show us the carts or whatever. I'd bank on the fact that this guy is loving all this drama too and laughing about all of the fuss.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
playboycougar said:
And that's it right there. Bottom line is this guy's not going to release these roms, or show us the carts or whatever. I'd bank on the fact that this guy is loving all this drama too and laughing about all of the fuss.

Nah, more like stroking his rod to it.

OlderGames

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
TonK said:

I'm not saying I'm rich, but it took 6 members and a large sum of cash each to "invest" in Ghostlop.......................

..............These games are not about the love of gaming, they are about CASH!

WORD. That was my point above. As someone who
has owned many high profile prototypes, I can atest
to the fact that he could give two shits about your
love for the game(s). Dealing protos is all about the
money and gamers never follow through on
"group investments". Having hundreds of individuals
plock down $10 is a total pipe dream. A shame too. :(

Last edited:

OlderGames

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
Sumez said:
OlderGames' "idea" sounds quite noble. But it sounds like a pretty pointless project, considering Xacrow has already dumped the roms...

Does this mean you "contributed" a dump of this? *hint*

Stupidity and generousity are 2 different things.... ;)

barf

Maxima's Barber
TonK said:

You know what?

Yes btw thank you Teh Tonk (and the others who contributed) :)

:buttrock: :mr_t: :multi_co: :loco: :D :glee:

Sumez

The Ultimate 11
OlderGames said:
Stupidity and generousity are 2 different things.... ;)
Yet you're the one willing to cash in to get at new Neo Geo prototype dumped for the public :rolleyes:

:loco:

redrum666

Mai's Apprentice
TonK said:

There were 6 of us I believe.

THANK YOU TONK YOU THE MAN :buttrock:

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
TonK said:
Because people are greedy bastards...

This guy could release the roms and make everyone happy, but instead he wants to hoard them and release "ha ha, I have these games" screenshots.

Fuck him.

Tonk is right. It's sad that supposed adults buy stuff just to brag about it.

And also - THANK YOU TONK and the other investors for making Ghostlop available for everyone to try.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
playboycougar said:

Yeah, I'm sure he's splooging all over his monitor because there's a topic made about his stuff on Neo-geo.com . A topic meaning singular. :spock:

There's yet to be really any fuss or drama over these.

Snooptalian

Hairdresser, ,
OlderGames said:

QUOTE]

Off topic:

I never heard of a proto for Super Mario's Wacky Worlds for the CD-i before. Are there copies of the game to be had anywhere to play on a CD-i, or is there just a known proto for the game somewhere? I saw a site showing screenshots, specific disc information and homebrew label scans, but no rom for the game as far as I can tell anywhere.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
SuperGun said:
Also VERY important to note is the significant observation of "pixel rot" which can clearly be seen throughout the shot.

I doubt it's that.

I think these were GIF files that were later saved as PNG. Look at that Chicago title and the others really closely; it's possible that these were saved with a lower color pallet than the number of colors present and resulted in that dithering.

Perhaps they were originally saved as GIF images with an exact color pallet, but when the "Xacrow" was added with the transparency effect, it was resaved as a GIF but with the same number of colors, which would result in dithering due to the different colors made by the "Xacrow".