*UPDATED* NeoGeo proto screenshots

geladobom

War Room Troll
I came across these two (already known) Garou MOTW 2 Special screens but as "full version" with TV in the photo.
Seems that a working prototype really exists ...

View attachment 34508

View attachment 34509

A few notes.
MUGEN was released in 1999, how suppose to be MUGEN if in that day MUGEN was so bad? I assume this is real 100%, but the collector have this in power for a long time.
Or... there is a cheat code to unlock Mr. Karate and no one finds out yet. (Not really)
No clues this is a mounted image, in that day photoshop was not like that.

Last Odyssey Pinball Fantasia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjK7-H4LBO8

Fun Fun Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPHCLn7Klfw

Mystic Wand & Dunk Star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz8Q1ItnlD4

Knights Chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0VxABaIWfI

Sun Shine Discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsSkEXV9mbQ

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
It is evident that geladobom doesn’t understand the difference between a hack/homebrew title and an actual prototype.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’m not going to click on that many links with no description. The several that I did checkout were absolutely for sure homebrew and not work from any pro Neo dev team.

The idea that Photoshop couldn’t be used to fake a static Neo screenshot of Garou 2 is ridiculous. Every version of Photoshop could fake any Neo game in a still shot, %100, no problem. It probably wasn’t used, it’s probably just a basic game made with ripped sprites but regardless...to say that Photoshop couldn’t do that in 1999 when Photoshop was used to make Garou 1 betrays a poor understanding of...how all this shit works.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
People forget EGM used to do pretty credible (for magazine shots...) fake screenshots for april fools pranks. You can do that in Photoshop, or in Corel, or even in paintbrush.exe if you have the patience.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I’m not going to click on that many links with no description. The several that I did checkout were absolutely for sure homebrew and not work from any pro Neo dev team.

The idea that Photoshop couldn’t be used to fake a static Neo screenshot of Garou 2 is ridiculous. Every version of Photoshop could fake any Neo game in a still shot, %100, no problem. It probably wasn’t used, it’s probably just a basic game made with ripped sprites but regardless...to say that Photoshop couldn’t do that in 1999 when Photoshop was used to make Garou 1 betrays a poor understanding of...how all this shit works.

Yeah, I was doing really great edits with Microsoft picture it, back in 1999.

I remember in 1999 all the fake Zelda 64 triforce screen shots that were REALLY well done.

https://kotaku.com/that-time-a-player-tricked-everyone-into-thinking-you-c-1789847177

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Somehow I missed that video of Warlocks of the Fate back in 2019. Does this mean the rom is out there or is it just in the possession of one person? Seems like almost none of these Neo Geo prototype roms get released when found (too valuable I suppose).

BTW Billy your prototype page is down. Says the account has been suspended.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I've only ever seen the VHS recording of Warlocks of the Fates.

It's definitely possible that dumped ROMS exist somewhere out there, but to my knowledge they've never seen the light of day in any manner that's available on the intarwebz.

It's a shame some people have to be selfish with these kinds of historic finds.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Speaking of protos, this happened while the site was down.

The very first HNG64 protoype known to the public was found, one of SS64 that was used at a 1997 Japanese trade show. Through sheer luck someone found it in a pallet filled with surplus HNG64 boards, carts, and accessories. Said pallet had been sitting outside under a tree for 20 years. It was due to be chucked into the junkyard about a week later.

The owner will be dumping the ROMs and releasing them to the public, but it'll take some time as the thing has a whopping 96 of them. Inside of it looks like some epic RAM daughterboard for an old server.

There are some noticeable differences in that the camera is more zoomed in, the UI is totally different, the names of the characters are present above the life bars, various color changes, a totally different attract screen intro, and no boss battles.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Speaking of protos, this happened while the site was down.

The very first HNG64 protoype known to the public was found, one of SS64 that was used at a 1997 Japanese trade show. Through sheer luck someone found it in a pallet filled with surplus HNG64 boards, carts, and accessories. Said pallet had been sitting outside under a tree for 20 years. It was due to be chucked into the junkyard about a week later.

The owner will be dumping the ROMs and releasing them to the public, but it'll take some time as the thing has a whopping 96 of them. Inside of it looks like some epic RAM daughterboard for an old server.

There are some noticeable differences in that the camera is more zoomed in, the UI is totally different, the names of the characters are present above the life bars, various color changes, a totally different attract screen intro, and no boss battles.

That's awbacon on here, Fygee. He's posted about it on the forum, but he couldn't post the reveal since it was down. I was figuring he would post about it when the site came back up, but he hasn't yet.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
That's awbacon on here, Fygee. He's posted about it on the forum, but he couldn't post the reveal since it was down. I was figuring he would post about it when the site came back up, but he hasn't yet.
I was also following that discussion, but now I can't find it anymore. Was it lost with the move of the forum?

Anyway, here are the first results of this lucky find.
Spoiler:

This is the official description of the video.

SUPPORT THE CHANNEL : http://www.patreon.com/VideoGameEsote...

Now what do we have here? A rusty hulk of a door stop? A pretty paperweight? An extremely rare prototype? Or a retail rom on a strange cartridge?

Well...it's a prototype / beta of the retail release of Samurai Shodown 64. Presumably it's from the AOU 1997 show / location test phase of the game. It has a lot of differences in the colors, art, camera and heads up display. But it's still an awesome 3D fighting game...that's for sure!

Questions? Comments? Just leave them below and I will do my best to answer each and every one of them!

You can follow us at IG : ChicagoGameCollector , or join our Discord Server : https://discord.gg/vGbsBzJ

Through Reddit a user called as Top_Emergency7135 has published a very interesting anecdote related to this recent discovery.

This is what he wrote in his message.
Spoiler:
That is a funny story... I was snk last official customer. I believe it was early 2001 Back then I bought the last hyper Neo geo 64 cart from a company called apple systems. I believe it was snk Sales department, under name apple systems. Long story short, in 1999 I bought a hyper Neo geo 64 Japan kit from eBay. Yet I wanted a English version, so I called around and contacted apple systems... ( snk). The guy was impossible to get ahold of... ( there was only one guy in the office that ran it) I called and called and called... over 3 weeks of this... finally one day he called me back. He apologize to me for how long it took and told me that his daughter was getting braces or something like that and that was reason for his delay. We talked for about 30 mins and he pulled and packed up a copy of samurai shodown 64 2 warriors rage for me. Then he said this to me, congrats you are snk last official customer. He thanked me for my order and told me that he wasn’t take anymore orders and I was snk last consumer of any of there products. I didn’t know what to think at the time honestly. Then we hung up... a week later my game cart came in, and I plugged it in. Once plugged in it gave me the same Japanese version I had before... not understanding why I called him back on his personal cell phone number he gave me. He explained to me it was the system not the cart that changed the region. When I found that out I asked to buy a hyper Neo geo 64 USA version unit. He told me that the stock has been sold in a lot to a company I knew very well at the time. That company was called video connection... he thanked me again for being snk last official customer. Once I got off phone with him I called video connection. Knowing them at the time I called and woman who ran phones she knew me from buying mvs stuff from them over the years. I said I heard you got all snk final stock and she was very blown away I knew this... she asked how I knew that. I told her a little birdie had told me. Well she finally told me yes we just got the stock in... there where just going threw it. It Was in pallets that they where testing. Long story short she sold me a samurai shodown kit for 399. Game, system and all it artwork.. they also sold me version 2 USA system for 50 each. I got 9 of them, I was told That they didn’t test working, yet they all worked. My guess is this game came from that pallet... There was few thing he wanted to hold on to at the time my guess this was one of them. I got almost one half of a pallet from them. Still have all the original boxes and artwork for it all. I kept trying to get all the rare stuff I could at the time but some things he wasn’t letting go of. This must of been one of the things he was talking about. I was just talking to a friend mine about this few weeks back... I told him I wonder what was all in that lot from snk.
Original Source.

Last edited:

NewDump

n00b
gm_19960401_aou_droppers_01.png

Droppers [ドロッパーズ] Video System para MVS: