I'm sick of KOF, thinking of just giving it up for good

Sumez

The Ultimate 11
Yeah, Shermie plays awesome. That's the problem with having a storyline (as in: Shermie died in '97)
Is she in 2003?

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Sumez said:
Yeah, Shermie plays awesome. That's the problem with having a storyline (as in: Shermie died in '97)
Is she in 2003?

Nope, only in 97.98 and 02.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Lord Yamazaki said:
Words of wisdom here.

You mind giving me advice on some actual balanced fighters then? I wouldn't mind learning me a new game, as long as in the end, my efforts don't get shattered into pieces ala kof.

Started playing KoF heavily since 1996 btw.

Well, that's the point, IMO there's no completely balanced fighter. 3rd Strike, LB, LB2, AoF3, all these are more balanced than any KoF... but again, that depends on what you call balance. The engines of these four games are quite tidy, but of course there still are tiers, namely in 3rd Strike.

I mean, sometimes it's just my lack of skills that lets me run into what some would probably call "cheap tricks", and I used to be very quick in calling a game broken because I refused to actually learn all the in's and out's of playing it competitively.

For a long time, I only played against a more or less fixed circle of friends, but then we met some tourney players on a gaming get-together... before that we thought we were good, but after a few matches, we had to realize that their skills were several levels above ours. Their style was not elegant, they played a cheap and nasty game, but they knew exactly what to do in what situation, we had no chance of landing one of those reputedly cheap'n'easy combos - in other words: Yes, there's cheese, but it's only a problem if you a) don't know how to use it, or b) don't know how to counter it.

Another lesson I've learned from playing those pro's: If you're in it for the fun and aesthetics of fighting games and simply love to play them more like anything else, it's best to steer clear of true competitive playing, because then it's all about winning as quick and dirty as possible.... that's why I've stopped going at it too competitively because I really like to win but I like playing these games and using all their obscure options to the max more.

In the end, it's all about experience and accepting your relative skill level. For example, judging from the win/loss ratio against my friends, I'm quite good at FFS, but the same guys who cannot hold a candle against my Jubei and Duck utterly destroy me in Samsho 3 and 4, and lord knows I have played the Samshos quite as much as FFS, but since FFS suits me more than the SS games, I probably will never reach the same relative skill level in, say, Samsho 3 than in FFS.

firebomber

Astra Superstar
Takumaji said:
Well, that's the point, IMO there's no completely balanced fighter. 3rd Strike, LB, LB2, AoF3, all these are more balanced than any KoF... but again, that depends on what you call balance. The engines of these four games are quite tidy, but of course there still are tiers, namely in 3rd Strike.

I agree with you entire post except for LB2 being balanced. It's broken pretty badly by Zantetsu mainly. Akari is pretty bad too.
You know the Zantetsu A+C bug? Lee has the same bug in speed mode although not as effective. Also Akari's and Mokuro's infinites. I think Moriya has an infinite too not to mention the glitch that gives him instant run-away.
LB2 is far from balanced.

Other than that the only advice I can offer up to LY is take a break. You'll probably start missing it after a while and come back with a better appreciation for the game. And then it will be easier to get better than you were before.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
firebomber said:
I agree with you entire post except for LB2 being balanced. It's broken pretty badly by Zantetsu mainly. Akari is pretty bad too.
You know the Zantetsu A+C bug? Lee has the same bug in speed mode although not as effective. Also Akari's and Mokuro's infinites. I think Moriya has an infinite too not to mention the glitch that gives him instant run-away.
LB2 is far from balanced.

Still, LB2 is more balanced than some KoFs, that's my point in this case. As I said before, there is no such thing as a 100% balanced fighter... I guess if it was, it would be boring as hell.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
this is just a personal opinion,
but people who are always complaining about "top tiers" "infinites" "broken game !!1!" and so on

well,they make me laugh

i think i'm a pretty good kof player,but I KNOW there are probably hundreds of better players in the world

if i met one of those,i wouldn't start complaining about the game i have played and loved for 6 years because i got my ass kicked

people can't accept to lose,so when they're running out of alibis

they start accusing the game or accusing the other player of being cheap,using overpowered characters etc etc etc

that's sooooo childish + lame

there is NOT a single non broken fighter out there,ok?

if you think kof is broken,well,then all the 2d fighters are

3s balanced? yeah...choose Q and defeat chun,ken,and yun please

ffs balanced?

krauser vs kim / jubei

list goes on and on

so come on,just admit you've met a strongest player and put aside the foolish pride and the lame "i play for fun" excuse

because honestly,if you play 2d fighting games in the year 2005

you do it for the versus action,and the game is "fun" and "omg deep" when you're winning

and suddently becomes "cheap","broken","shit" when you meet a better player

lord yamazaki :
i *might* be online tomorrow evening for some vs action if you or lwk want to have a few matches
keep in mind i won't consider those matches "serious" because i have never played online and i know about lag and all that
but it's still possible to see if the opponent's good or not

takumaji:
you should organize a german kof meeting,we would come for sure :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Fran said:
takumaji:
you should organize a german kof meeting,we would come for sure :)

Usually, we meet every 1st weekend of a month, but these are just small get-togethers with about five or six ppl.

Some friends of mine already talked about organizing a German KoF battle party like hardedge did two years ago. The party itself was crap, it was more like a Neo collectors convention than a gaming meeting, but we had the chance to play against some of the better players and ranking-wise, we were placed in the upper class - which doesn't mean much because there aren't a lot of pro KoF'ers here, and only a handful of them take part in international tournaments.

You just have to snip your fingers and you will have three dozen ppl with Xboxes and hubs to play Halo 2, but don't ask for KoF... "King of Fighters? Ah, it's that Capcom game, right?"

Anyway, I will let you know! :)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
fran didn't reply to my pm offering netplay :(

I did drag out and play kof98 for the first time in months yesterday, and completed it on my 2nd attempt, I get no versus love.

then I played today and got bored as hell in 30minutes

I need vs play, I'm in one of those bored of fighters moods again I'm sure of it

the only thing I get to play versus is MOTW :(

Sumez

The Ultimate 11
Both players have the same options, so in a sense, all vs. fighters are perfectly balanced. Like someone said, it's all a question of how you define balance.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Fran said:
well,ok

but that "iori / lucky / athena / kyo / mai" escape glitch is present in 98,99,2000,and 2001 as well

so you have both the glitch and that mad combo in 99,2000 and 2001

and well,in 2000 you also have seth

that's why i think that 2000 mai + seth = teh awesome

yes,she still has that combo in bc mode...but meh :annoyed:

yuri is over-rated in 2002,maybe?

billy and athena,ok...but yuri?

my friend's the best clark user in the whole damn world and i can't win against his clark when i'm using yuri

and i have loads of problems against several other fighters

so yes,i'm starting to think that yuri isn't up there with the ABC team (ath,bil,cho)

she's still awesome in 2002,don't get me wrong,but...

i know that if you cross up with brian he's got that mad tekken-ish combo that can almost kill you from perfect

but again,chances of doing that to benimaru or orochi chris?

right...

What makes yuri dangerous, is her air projectile used as a dash back escape. Thats brutally important in 2002. I like yuri man, dont get me wrong. But her rush grab *ala tak* is just a real pain in the butt off of pressure. You wouldnt think it would be, but it is. Her cD has insane priority, another pressure point. I am a billy user, and I know hes a mad man in 2002, but.... Shes tough to predict, has very easy taps to her dp c, which you can dm cancel for retarded damage. Her most simplistic stuff is really a pain.

Brian:....

And man, you gotta consider it does land on beni or O chris. O chris isnt that great, hell I prefer regular chris to him in 98.
Beni is good cause of his hcb f A spam. I love that shit, but back in 98, Brian can be a monster if you know what you are doing. Just run into the right dude and it will totally change your mind.

ot:
I actually prefer 2002 clark to 98. Its all personal preference in that instance though.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
kernow said:
fran didn't reply to my pm offering netplay :(

I did drag out and play kof98 for the first time in months yesterday, and completed it on my 2nd attempt, I get no versus love.

then I played today and got bored as hell in 30minutes

I need vs play, I'm in one of those bored of fighters moods again I'm sure of it

the only thing I get to play versus is MOTW :(

i did reply to your pm

but it bounced back to moi ( your inbox is full if i remember correctly ) ?

firebomber

Astra Superstar
Sumez said:
Both players have the same options, so in a sense, all vs. fighters are perfectly balanced. Like someone said, it's all a question of how you define balance.
That doesn't really work since balance is always refered to when it's one character vs. a different one. Mirror matches don't really apply. But yeah I see your point

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Regarding Lord Yama, hes not actually giving up KOF, but hes just going to break until he gets a decent pad. I totally understand his position. I hated my sidewinder when I used it, and even making combo vids ended up taking more time then I wanted it to.

::J@mm::

n00b
HEk, thats toi bad your sick about it, you should just trow it all away,

and let us lnow where you throw it at!!!

YOU HATE THE GAME CAUSE YOU LOVE IT TO MUCH!!

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Lord Yamazaki said:
Words of wisdom here.

You mind giving me advice on some actual balanced fighters then? I wouldn't mind learning me a new game, as long as in the end, my efforts don't get shattered into pieces ala kof.

Started playing KoF heavily since 1996 btw.

I find garou to be balanced ..