Mod MVS 1 FZ to Stereo? How to

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Actually for the 1B, MKL is the 1B guy. thanks though.

My bad.

On the subject of 1FZ audio... what are the differences in terms of audio output between the 1F and 1FZ boards? Are there any differences. I thought one board had an onboard mono/stereo slide switch.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yup that's correct, one has a switch the other doesn't but can be modded for true stereo sound.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Yup that's correct, one has a switch the other doesn't but can be modded for true stereo sound.

So the 1F (right?) has the switch and therefore doesn't need an audio mod. Stereo or mono (switchable onboard) can both be had off the headphone jack?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Right the 1F has the switch but it doesnt have headphone jacks but it has a 4 pin output for stereo on the board.

brettster

n00b
Thanks for that, when modding the 1C for 5volt use is the removal of the amp components needed? could this be the reason why my 1B has no sound when running from 5V?
I'll post up some pictures when I have privs to start new threads. :)

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
1F (also 1FT) and 1FZ are completely different animals and different eras.

The 1F is MVS complete with memory card option via the remote MV-1C reader pcb, stereo sound and fitted with AES style joystick ports.

The 1FZ is JAMMA mono with no frills attached. It is nice and compact though.

MV-1Fsm.jpg

MV-1F

MV-1FZsm.jpg

MV-1FZ

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Thanks for that, when modding the 1C for 5volt use is the removal of the amp components needed? could this be the reason why my 1B has no sound when running from 5V?
I'll post up some pictures when I have privs to start new threads. :)

You need to run the 5 volts for the audio op amps from the main 5 volt vcc.
So the 5 volt regulator IC is removed (or track cut)- the audio output IC can stay mounted.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
1F (also 1FT) and 1FZ are completely different animals and different eras.

The 1F is MVS complete with memory card option via the remote MV-1C reader pcb, stereo sound and fitted with AES style joystick ports.

The 1FZ is JAMMA mono with no frills attached. It is nice and compact though.

Thanks.... figured from Xian Xi that I have a 1F but still wasn't sure what the 1FZ looked like.... kinda in the style of the small C ones.

Thanks guys.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So the 5 volt regulator IC is removed (or track cut)- the audio output IC can stay mounted.

Can you join them like MKL did on the 2 slot?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I have not done it myself, but yes there is no reason why you could not connect the 5 volts rail to the output of the 7805 regulator.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have not done it myself, but yes there is no reason why you could not connect the 5 volts rail to the output of the 7805 regulator.

Do you by chance have a pic of both rails? Sorry I'm at work.

brettster

n00b

Thank you, I'm stuck at work at the moment and I'm itching to get home and get up and running. I had an AES back in 1991 and I was the cool kid in town. now I'm revisiting my childhood...

Does anyone have a Diagram of the op amp, or know which pin I need to connect 5 volts to?

Last edited:

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Do you by chance have a pic of both rails? Sorry I'm at work.

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. Was pretty straightforward on the 2 slot. Was wondering aobut doing that for a 1F to just use +5.

brettster

n00b

I cannot seem to find a 7805 Regulator on my board, there is a TA8201 which is the audio amp, can I run a 5V to the 5V output of that IC?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member

A reason is that there is no 7805 on either the MV1F (btw the pic you posted is a MV1) or the MV1FZ. You can power the MV1F with only +5V and you'll have sound off the headphones header without any mod needed (and this answers xiao_haozi's question). The only other board where you can do this is the MV4F (newer 4-slot). The MV1B is the same as the MV1A and requires a hack that I have documented (for the MV1A) here. If someone can't figure out how to apply that to the MV1B and needs a step-by-step how-to, I'm sorry but I can't do one now (maybe in some time). The MV1FZ is similar to the 1A and 1B but requires some additional hacking that I will document in future.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
A reason is that there is no 7805 on either the MV1F (btw the pic you posted is a MV1) or the MV1FZ. You can power the MV1F with only +5V and you'll have sound off the headphones header without any mod needed (and this answers xiao_haozi's question).

Thanks MKL, that's perfect! BTW I did the +5 power reg mod on my 2 slot that you linked me to and, I haven't powered it on to try yet, but based on the multimeter tests, it seems that it worked perfectly. Thanks!

brettster

n00b
A reason is that there is no 7805 on either the MV1F (btw the pic you posted is a MV1) or the MV1FZ. You can power the MV1F with only +5V and you'll have sound off the headphones header without any mod needed (and this answers xiao_haozi's question). The only other board where you can do this is the MV4F (newer 4-slot). The MV1B is the same as the MV1A and requires a hack that I have documented (for the MV1A) here. If someone can't figure out how to apply that to the MV1B and needs a step-by-step how-to, I'm sorry but I can't do one now (maybe in some time). The MV1FZ is similar to the 1A and 1B but requires some additional hacking that I will document in future.

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou, Im one happy bunny now, I have my CMVS working with stereo and from 5v, Just been playing some Metal Slug the way it's supposed to be played :) you have made my month :)

I do have some crackle from the gunshot sounds, so not sure If I have done something wrong, will have to test with another game.

Back to Metal Slug...

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I do have some crackle from the gunshot sounds, so not sure If I have done something wrong, will have to test with another game.

MS in my cab causes some crackle with the shot gun and the screen goes ballz nuts when you fire it. I always thought that was how it was supposed to be?!

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert

Is the MV1 T similar to the 1 F? I dug out my 1 slot and realized it said 1 T and that it has onboard controller ports, headphone 4 pin out rather than jack, and no memory card slot, but does have a stereo/mono switch.

Would I need a sound mod for this or can i just take sound right off that 4 pin connector if I just run straight +5V?