Mod MVS 1 FZ to Stereo? How to

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Do you guys have a link to the pin out for YM 3016 dac, I have an unofficial text description (which doesnt seem to correspond with what I see on the board. Interested in putting together a schem for the stereo boards, so this is slightly off topic) but I havent been able to locate the actual pin out.

Nice work on the schem MKL, im not clear on the merging of points A,B and C for stereo out of a mono board. Understand the A & B but point C, the analog output from YM2610 pin 27 ?

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I would also REALLY like to see a hand drawn schematic of how to do this stereo mod (or pics w/ a discription). Maybe one with a sample audio amplifier. Couldn't you use the onboard TA8201AK to amplify 1 channel (once you cut one of the channels) and then add another TA8201AK for the second channel and I assume add pin 27 of the ym2610 to this as well (what is this "C" pin for??).

I suppose you would need to bypass the volume pot and put in a pot for stereo. Then you could cut the audio ground from the JAMMA connector and the second audio placed here to make the audio output MVS (2,4,6 slot) compatible. then 4 ohm speakers and common ground?

Does the circuit I described above jive with the layout of the stereo audio on a multislot MVS board? I've never seen one in person.

Also, is the YM3016 before the C844G? What is the YM3016 for? Is it an audio D/A converter? I can't find a datasheet for it. Is the C844G a stereo audio op amp? I can't find a datasheet for this either.

Sorry so many questions. Thanks in advance to whoever can help me out with this. I'd REALLY like to get stereo audio on my MV-1A.
-DogToy

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
If anyone wants to know, the resistors on the mv-1b schematic in this forum are numbered differently from the mv-1a.

The one in the MV-1A are R73, R74, R75, R76, R78, R79, and R80. I am not sure which correspond to which on the mv-1b schematic yet, but I will post it later when I have time to follow the leads.

-DT

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
dogtoy said:
If anyone wants to know, the resistors on the mv-1b schematic in this forum are numbered differently from the mv-1a.
there are 2 quite different versions of the 1b out there. i used to have the one for which the japanese instructions were posted months ago, but i have also seen pics of the other revision.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
dogtoy said:
What is the YM3016 for? Is it an audio D/A converter? I can't find a datasheet for it.

Yes its the DAC, I have a data sheet somewhere but its missing the pin out details.

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
So are there any suggestions for improvements for the circuit I described above? It should in essence be exactly the same signal-wise as the on-board mono out (provided you use same resisters and caps as the onboard TA8201AK on the second channel TA8201AK).

I looked back in the thread and answered my own questions from other posts that "C" is other misc. sounds from YM2610 (just split it after the resistor and add it to both?), YM3016 is an audio DAC, and the C844G is a stereo op amp.

I'd still like to see datasheets for YM2610, YM3016, and C844G if anyone has them. Anybody know if the C844G is functionally equivalent to an LM833?

Was the "different" MV-1B board from an Irritating Maze? I have read that these are different, but I thought it was just bios differences for some reason.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
Well, this is great news. I knew it could be done, ive seen pics of stereo b and c revisions for months now. Id like to see if i could do this, as i hope to be building very soon my own consolized 1b slot. If i could pop stereo out of it, id drop the extra bucks for a JM kurtz video board and make it the best console eva

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I just finished a 1FZ stereo mod and will post some pics and instructions as soon as I get a chance to write them up.

As each of these other boards cross my path, I will do the same (mod and document) -- unless someone else has already documented one of these other versions and would like me to post it on my site.

Jeff

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Did you use another TA8201AK for audio, or did you build your own transister based amp? Is output 4ohm or 8ohm on your mod?

Thx
-DT

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
About 75% done with the page for my site -- my spare time is pretty scarce at the moment.

And for those that are wondering -- I did mine for a consolized unit so it is not an amped stereo mod.

Jeff

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
So just straight out of the op amp then? Or is there a line driver circuit. If I could find a datasheet for the C844G i'm there would be directions for using it as a line driver, as there are in the LM833 datasheet. Maybe it would be the same, I am still not positive that they are exactly functionally equivalent.

thx
-DT

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
hmm..when its not amped, its no problem connecting it directly to the TV through the scart right?

JMKurtz said:
About 75% done with the page for my site -- my spare time is pretty scarce at the moment.

And for those that are wondering -- I did mine for a consolized unit so it is not an amped stereo mod.

Jeff

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I believe what he meant was that there is no power amplifier. The signal would have to somewhat amplified (like an op amp used as a line driver) for there to be any sound output on a television. Then you could use regular audio inputs (phono rca jacks), add a headphone jack (if you wanted to put a stereo pot for volume control), or connect it to the audio pins of SCART.

-DT

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
ok. sounds good.. i'm thinking of consolize my mv1fz as soon as i can get the stereo scheme =)

brettster

n00b
I posted a quick how-to on my site (www.neobitz.com) under the System Mods section.

Jeff

I would like to say Thankyou for your stereo sound mod instructions :) I have it working fine with my MV-1B that Im wishing to consolize, Can anyone provide information on how to run an MV-1b from just 5 volts and have stereo sound too? the only sound I get when running at 5 volts is the inserting coin noise !!

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I would like to say Thankyou for your stereo sound mod instructions :) I have it working fine with my MV-1B that Im wishing to consolize, Can anyone provide information on how to run an MV-1b from just 5 volts and have stereo sound too? the only sound I get when running at 5 volts is the inserting coin noise !!

Actually for the 1B, MKL is the 1B guy. thanks though.