MVS to Jamma ~ speaker wiring advice

First of all sorry for asking such a n008 question that probably get's asked every week, but I just need some advice...

I have a converted 4 player TMNT (LAI - Australia) jamma wired cab that has been turned into a NEO-GEO MVS cab with a 2 slot mobo (2 player)

The game sound is crappy so I did some reading and this is the diagnosis:

If the two speakers were wired in series across L & 10 (like for jamma) on
the jamma/mvs edge connect, on sound test you will get LEFT= sound from
both speakers, CENTRE= no or very little sound, RIGHT= sound from both
speakers, game play would sound shite.

BTW headphones plugged into the mobo audio jack work fine ie full sound.

I had a look how it's all wired and yes the jamma harness is still wired to pinouts 10 and L (see attached):
jamma1.jpg

I thought I might have to wire the left and right positive together and get full sound (mono) from the current wired speakers (parallel?)

But i'm guessing the best way to go about it is to rewire them for stereo sound..

So please confirm this is the right way to go about it:
* Ditch the current volume pot (that's what the slider on the mobo is for ;))
* Wire L to speaker 1 +ve
* Wire 10 to speaker 2 +ve
* Get the ground from any of the pins on the jamma slot/harness ie 1, 2, A, B, 27, 28, e or f (these OK for ground?)

and finally, i'm assuming the 8 ohm speakers will be fine for this.

Thanks!

ps: Would leaving a cab wired like this for long periods eventually cause problems for the mobo??

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Mickey Juice said:
But i'm guessing the best way to go about it is to rewire them for stereo sound..

So please confirm this is the right way to go about it:
* Ditch the current volume pot (that's what the slider on the mobo is for ;))
* Wire L to speaker 1 +ve
* Wire 10 to speaker 2 +ve
* Get the ground from any of the pins on the jamma slot/harness ie 1, 2, A, B, 27, 28, e or f (these OK for ground?)

and finally, i'm assuming the 8 ohm speakers will be fine for this.

Welcome to the forum Mickey Juice, another L&A cab owner :)

You are spot on, wire the speakers like this, and yes 8 ohm speakers are OK.

mvssound.bmp

Cool. Thanks ttooddddyy!

Yeah it's a nice cab, I might restore it to a TMNT cab one day, but for now i'm happy with it being a Neo-Geo cabinet :)

060.jpg

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I have a couple of Aussie L&A dedicated six slots, there was a third but I wont tell you what happened to that, its too sad :crying:

mvs.jpg

The Twins, Neo and Geo.

I've never actually seen dedicated NeoGeo cabs around... :confused:

Just a question regarding the select button, do most cabs have it on the CP for users to select a game, (is the only use for the select button) or can you have it inside the cab?
I'll have to check, but I think mine is just wired up to one of the existing buttons... that's if the machine ever used both slots on the mobo. If it's not connected at all I think i'l wire it to the player 1 stick.

Cheers

ps: I see you've posted that wiring diagram a few times ;)

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The twins have select buttons (being dedicted MVS)
But in your case wiring to say P1 stick down, as you suggested, would be the most convienient way of doing it without drilling another hole in the control panel.

Because it was a 4 player, there are some (plugged up) holes in the CP which I could use if ever need be.

cack01

n00b
I was reading through the thread and thought of a question for future reference.
What type of speakers would one normally use for a neo-geo? I am assuming mid range, but what about impedance.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
cack01 said:
I was reading through the thread and thought of a question for future reference.
What type of speakers would one normally use for a neo-geo? I am assuming mid range, but what about impedance.

Typicaly 4 ohms is ideal for the HA13001 audio output stage, having said this, running 8 ohms/channel is not a problem. Most dedicated mvs cabs would be fitted with 8 ohms speakers

HA13001.gif