Best King of Fighter?

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
It's hard for me to choose, but KOF 94 always will hold a special place in my heart. But KOF 2000 and KOF13 are my favorites.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
KOF 2002 UM Tougeki Edition

Second favorite fighting game of all time right under CvS2.

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
I have KOF 2000; do i NEED 1998? Keep in mind i'm not a completionist collector; just want the best of the series :)

Thanks and sorry not sorry for the necrobump!! :D

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I have KOF 2000; do i NEED 1998? Keep in mind i'm not a completionist collector; just want the best of the series :)

Most agree 98 is the best, game play wise. If you're playing with friends, then get 98. If you're just playing single player, that really opens it up as different KOFs offer different things. Like 95 and 96 probably have the best backgrounds for example. 98 is honestly kind of bland single player.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate

You need to play them and decide for yourself. Then you will know of you NEED KOF98, dont blindly take people's opinions. Hell most of this bored thinks Street Fighter was the pinnacle of fighting games.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Its hard to pick, they are all amazing. For me it is 97, I loved the ballsy design decision of no background music (mostly). You would be fine with just one KOF game in your collection though, any one of them will do. They are all similar but each has its own small identity.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
96 for me is the front runner, hands down.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
96 for me is the front runner, hands down.
96 is my favorite, as it has the boss team, and some good backgrounds and music. I don't know why so many people like 98 best, but you can play as Rugal in that one, which is fairly unique in KOF games.

neofonta

Zero's Secretary
96 is my favorite, as it has the boss team, and some good backgrounds and music. I don't know why so many people like 98 best, but you can play as Rugal in that one, which is fairly unique in KOF games.
+1 for 96
The one who enjoyed more back in the day when going to arcade centers

NexusX

Astra Superstar
98 is a solid game, but is does suffer from a lack of style & character due to its non canon status. Still a wonderfully made game though.

97 has great stages and presentation. I totally love the "televised show" theme they pulled off.

96 has a sweet soundtrack that more or less set the standard for the franchise imo.

and I love to play 2003 because it was a fresh change of pace for KOF. It's gameplay is fast & fun. Tag element worked well imo. Only thing holding it back was it's roster. I feel like they could of had a few more crammed in it.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
I think overall 96 is my choice. It's got Geese and the other boss team folks and many other cool things. 97 seemed lacking with the ambient background noise in lieu of music, it didn't get my blood pumping as much as good music would and just felt incomplete to me.

KOF 94 and KOF 2000 are other key favorites of mine. And frankly, I think KOF 2003 has a lot going for it with a huge amount of new characters, costumes, other graphics, and the tag gameplay, it was a good breath of fresh air in the franchise. Never played any of the ones that came out later on atomiswave or other non-neo hardware...

adaup1

n00b
98 and 2002. I was never huge on the four-member teams of 99-2001. I used to strongly dislike 2003 but I went back to it recently and it's actually a pretty good game.