Am I the only one who thinks the DS is a Piece of shit?

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
DevilRedeemed said:
in any case, I'm quite sure the DS cost waaay less to produce than PSP. I think N just want to make a bit more cash and spread their seed before they continue spitting out systems.

Don't be so sure about that.

Sony fabricates it's own chips, that cuts costs down so much it's not even funny. Sure the initial cost is a killer, but you make it back so quickly, especially if you can do volume. It's like the PS2. Now it costs Sony practically nothing to make an Emotion Engine core, yet they still can sell it at $150 a shot.

I'm sure the PSP is expensive to produce, those screens ain't cheap, but considering Sony itself manufactures most of the parts going into the machine anyway, the costs are probably a ton lower than you'd expect. Nintendo on the otherhand has to go out and buy all their parts for the system, with the manufacturers making profits on that. Sony doesn't have that issue and gets most of their parts at cost.

I really think this is why the PSP has as much power as it does at such a low price point.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
MilkManX said:
Is there not anti aliasing on this thing? It doesnt look like it.

Exactly - the DS lacks of anti-asliasing or texture filtering.

SouthtownKid said:
The thing I don't understand from the DS supporters is comparing the lineup with PSP's. Beyond the fact that it's all about what kind of game you enjoy, we haven't even seen screenshots of some of the DS games being brought up, like Castlevania. People are assuming it will be great, but...who knows, it might not be (it's not like we've never seen a crap Castlevania game: LOI). And I've barely seen anything for the PSP games yet, so what's to compare? Ridge Racer? In half a year, we'll have a better idea, so I'm not buying anything until then.

Excellent point. At the moment, we only can compare hardware performance.

buster_broon

The Rock,
JHendrix said:
Don't be so sure about that.

Sony fabricates it's own chips, that cuts costs down so much it's not even funny. Sure the initial cost is a killer, but you make it back so quickly, especially if you can do volume. It's like the PS2. Now it costs Sony practically nothing to make an Emotion Engine core, yet they still can sell it at $150 a shot.

I'm sure the PSP is expensive to produce, those screens ain't cheap, but considering Sony itself manufactures most of the parts going into the machine anyway, the costs are probably a ton lower than you'd expect. Nintendo on the otherhand has to go out and buy all their parts for the system, with the manufacturers making profits on that. Sony doesn't have that issue and gets most of their parts at cost.

I really think this is why the PSP has as much power as it does at such a low price point.

dont argue with Mr Hendrix - he has his fingers in alot of pies

he also has a crystal ball predicting the future and he is a secret sony/sega/nintendo spy and knows all their business practises especially what they pay in parts

taxi for hendrix - taxi for hendrixxxxxxxx

J you operate on hearsay and rumors

i heard that sony are gonna be taking a kicking on each psp sold - but with the pstwo being cheap to make thats where they should make the $$$$ - to counter the amount they are going to lose on the PSP

but since i'm not a secret agent i dont know - will check gamefaqs

Each post you make looks and sounds good but ultimately its absolute bullshit/waffle

</2 cents>

nb/ you're a sony fanboy (just for old times sake)

JHendrix

buster_broon said:
dont argue with Mr Hendrix - he has his fingers in alot of pies

he also has a crystal ball predicting the future and he is a secret sony/sega/nintendo spy and knows all their business practises especially what they pay in parts

taxi for hendrix - taxi for hendrixxxxxxxx

J you operate on hearsay and rumors

i heard that sony are gonna be taking a kicking on each psp sold - but with the pstwo being cheap to make thats where they should make the $$$$ - to counter the amount they are going to lose on the PSP

but since i'm not a secret agent i dont know - will check gamefaqs

Each post you make looks and sounds good but ultimately its absolute bullshit/waffle

</2 cents>

nb/ you're a sony fanboy (just for old times sake)

What I said has just as much weight as people speculating that Sony is taking a huge loss on the per systems sale of the PSP.

And it has been pointed out that Sony has been making money off PS2 hardware sales for a while, but initially they took a loss. Why did it turn profitable? They fab their own chips, check production costs over time for manufacturing the same chip over time (not gaming wise, look at Intel/AMD/IBM stuff).

I put up speculation, just like everyone else. WTF do you want?

Still what I said is true, I can even link you to the story that says that Sony is fabricating all the processors and controllers for the PSP.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
Excellent point. At the moment, we only can compare hardware performance.

I'm sorry but that is not a reasonable proposition, as the PSP is a powerhouse, where the DS is not - but the DS is coming out of leftfield, and graphics are secondary to concept and possibilities. consider the PSP a square and the DS a cube. people are forgetting that these machines are there to be enjoyed not to be taken so seriously, as if life revolves around them.
The main thing here is people coming off all hardcore for fuck all. the DS is a toy, the PSP is a toy. to be played with. not to inmerse you beyond the beyond.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
I'm sorry but that is not a reasonable proposition, as the PSP is a powerhouse, where the DS is not - but the DS is coming out of leftfield, and graphics are secondary to concept and possibilities. consider the PSP a square and the DS a cube. people are forgetting that these machines are there to be enjoyed not to be taken so seriously, as if life revolves around them.

Well, it really depends. Many, if not most games won't make real good use of the dual-screen feature. Examples - Ridge Racer, Metroid Hunters, Mario64 DS... they just give the second screen a really worthless use. These games, which render the other screen as nothing but a map, or item menu or whatever can be directly compared to PSP games which offer a onscreen map, or accessing a item menu by pausing the game.

The DS has a lot of potential, but seriously, who can deliver it? At the moment, seriously, it has not showed anything truly "revolutionary" in any way. Pictochat? Messaging? People have cell-phones and PDAs for that.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
What I said has just as much weight as people speculating that Sony is taking a huge loss on the per systems sale of the PSP.

And it has been pointed out that Sony has been making money off PS2 hardware sales for a while, but initially they took a loss. Why did it turn profitable? They fab their own chips, check production costs over time for manufacturing the same chip over time (not gaming wise, look at Intel/AMD/IBM stuff).

I put up speculation, just like everyone else. WTF do you want?

Still what I said is true, I can even link you to the story that says that Sony is fabricating all the processors and controllers for the PSP.

PSP production will hurt Sony. there's no 2 ways about it. they are trying some radical approach (going cheap) to soften the grip nintendo has on the handheld market - even to the point of imitation (if one is to believe that games will have no regional lockout). Sony knows the kind of money nintendo makes off handhelds, they are taking a hostile/agressive approach. its got nothing to do with them maintaining a low price point because they manufacture parts. they will be hurting and need the PSP to sell well. there is no 2nd place for Sony
they would probably have to sell these systems 2 times more expensive to come off as serious money-wise.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
meh. There's no Street Fighter for either of these fuckers.

+1

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
Well, it really depends. Many, if not most games won't make real good use of the dual-screen feature. Examples - Ridge Racer, Metroid Hunters, Mario64 DS... they just give the second screen a really worthless use. These games, which render the other screen as nothing but a map, or item menu or whatever can be directly compared to PSP games which offer a onscreen map, or accessing a item menu by pausing the game.

The DS has a lot of potential, but seriously, who can deliver it? At the moment, seriously, it has not showed anything truly "revolutionary" in any way. Pictochat? Messaging? People have cell-phones and PDAs for that.

I would think you would be the first to welcome a system so avant-garde in stance, it kind of shows how your mind works - lack of objectivity is apparent in you (that is my opinion not something I want you to respond to).
to say that games companies have no intentions or capacity to bring out the potential in the DS shows how little trust you have in games creators to get creative. what the fuck is all this about if people aren't going to hammer out something akin the motherfucking wheel?
CRE-A-TIV-I-TY. people are forgetting what its all about.
I hate the perpetuation of the same concept over and over (25 years and counting) - I like it, on the other hand, when something different is presented to me. Even if it does badly - artwise its essential - does far more for gaming than SONY and conformity.

SONY = ATARI

and I don't particularly like nintendo (only super famicom was awesome). Sony formats the world to suit its vision - engulfs and deludes. I'm dissapointed someone of your pretence cannot see things for what they truely are.

what would a game such as REZ work on better? DS or PSP? seriously?

Last edited:

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
DevilRedeemed said:
<snip>

what would a game such as REZ work on better? DS or PSP? seriously?

Seriously, PSP, of course. Higher resolution, better 3D, better sound, bigger screen . . . can there be any question about that? Seriously? :kekeke:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:
Seriously, PSP, of course. Higher resolution, better 3D, better sound, bigger screen . . . can there be any question about that? Seriously? :kekeke:

yes - big question - was rez about the graphics in the first place? the creator - what do you think he would preffer as an interface?
I just hope nintendo lets creators go a bit spastik with the DS. I hope the library resembles art in some way (won't ever happen).

buster_broon

The Rock,
chimpmeister said:

i respect yourself and Jhendrix but at least J puts up a constructive arguement why he hates nintendo

you, you just hate them

did shigsey split up your parents

did shigsey steal your lunch money and ice cream when you were at school

too much hate there - far too much hate

i think you need some prozac - chimpey

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
To start with I still have yet to touch a ds. Although I intend to own one in the next month or so. I am a Nintendo Fan boy, my first gaming system was the nes and I have stayed loyal to the big N even though I have dabbled in other systems.

I did not buy a virtual boy until a few years ago when I got one for $30, aside from the quezy feeling and seeing red after playing for a long period of time I love the sytem!

Does anyone know if there is a shoulder mount for the virtual boy?

Warioware is the primary reason for me to buy the DS right now. When I got WW for the gba i didn't put the game down until I had unlocked everything possible in the game. Now the ablility to input with the stylus into WW just ups the level of insanity to pure gaming bliss. I will be buying a screen protector when they come out also. Get the down low here.

Plus with the new mario bros. being developed for the DS I am sold. Even if others see the touch screen as a gimmick, I see it as an open door that only game developer rejects working for cell phone companies have tapped into.

JHendrix

buster_broon said:
i respect yourself and Jhendrix but at least J puts up a constructive arguement why he hates nintendo

you, you just hate them

I don't hate Nintendo.

I just don't like the DS, at all. It holds no appeal to me. And the Cube is underwhelming for me to say the least. N64 was too.

I just play good games. All the posts about the DS/Cube losing, I really don't think it's going to do well, especially compared to the PSP.

That and well look around, it's fun to watch Nintendo people get all up in arms. :)

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
DevilRedeemed said:
yes - big question - was rez about the graphics in the first place? the creator - what do you think he would preffer as an interface?
I just hope nintendo lets creators go a bit spastik with the DS. I hope the library resembles art in some way (won't ever happen).

But see, the problem is that Nintendo cut corners bigtime by sticking with the tiny GBA-sized screens, and the resolution for the DS isn't much better than the GBA either. In both cases, tiny screen + low resolution, the game is going to look ugly. 2D games can do fine with those specs (though a bigger screen would help those too), but for 3D, it just isn't going to cut it. Rez was great on the DC, but the DC is a damn fine piece of hardware, still one of my favorite systems with a great library of games.

Nintendo just threw this thing together super fast, cobbled together a few cheap games (or had a few third parties put out a few), and slopped it out. From what I have read, Mario DS suffers a lot from control issues, because of (you guessed it), NO ANALOG CONTROL (even with touch screen/thumbpad, it sucks).

That's why I asked if Nintendo playtests anything anymore. I don't think they do. I think they just develop a product, play around with it in-house (to keep it secret), don't bother to solicit outside opinions, and put it out. Thus, the bad design. Playtesting would have brought out the problems with the crummy d-pad, lack of analog control, and cheap little buttons.

So what's next? As VT said, the DS SP!! Don't put it past them, they get 1-2million+ units of the DS sold, then go back and re-release an SP version with some/all of the crappy design issues fixed, and voila, DOUBLE the sales from what they would otherwise have been. Smart maybe, but they burned too many people with the GBA and GBA/SP scam, it won't keep working forever. :oh_no:

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
to say that games companies have no intentions or capacity to bring out the potential in the DS shows how little trust you have in games creators to get creative.

That is the point. Who will give the dual screens good use? Kojima, Mizuguchi, Miyamoto... other than that... who else? The people at Electronic Arts? The western development scene offers nothing but simple, mainstream games, you cannot expect them to deliver anything revoutionary. Only certain development teams and directors will seriously offer us experiences worth buying a DS (I hope). Just check the current DS games. Are they seriously that good or unique? Are they something that cannot be done in any other system? The whole concept of the DS is to deliver such thing, and at the moment, it isn't succeeding. Nintendo sacrificed graphical performance to offer something innovate, which we seriously hasn't arrived yet.

DevilRedeemed said:
what the fuck is all this about if people aren't going to hammer out something akin the motherfucking wheel?
CRE-A-TIV-I-TY. people are forgetting what its all about.

Well, not many developers are "creative enough" to deliver something worth buying a DS at the moment.

It's not about hope on the developers, it's about being realistic, and objectively seeing what they are offering us.

DevilRedeemed said:
I hate the perpetuation of the same concept over and over (25 years and counting) - I like it, on the other hand, when something different is presented to me. Even if it does badly - artwise its essential - does far more for gaming than SONY and conformity.

People started whining about the perpetuation of the standard game concept when the DS was announced. How strategically opportune.

I don't like a system just because of it's concept, or just because it isn't "mainstream", if that was the case, I would just buy it, and not play any games. But since I care about how the games are, and how this "revolutionary" concept is exploited by real-life applications, I play the games. The problem is, that at the moment, the system is only revolutionary or unique in paper, and not in performance.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:

To a certain point, yes. REZ was ALL about graphics and sound, not about running on non-mainstream or pseudo-revolutionary hardware.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Well, you can bet ol Miyamoto will make a game so offbeat and original it will blow you minds, and your loads as well. :D

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Oh yeah, if the DS will just make 2 straight ports/pseudo sequels/updated versions of WWF No Mercy and Perfect Dark, I will snatch this baby up ASAP!

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
To a certain point, yes. REZ was ALL about graphics and sound, not about running on non-mainstream or pseudo-revolutionary hardware.

no. rez was about having a sense of gaming different from others. and with a different take on controls, the boundaries as to what a game of this type could achieve are pushed. give these guys the ingredients. you will see what they cook up.
and a killer apt such as a REZ type game that makes the system 'special' would be enough to warrant purchase, if only to play 1 game which is brilliantly different.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
buster_broon said:

you, you just hate them

As I said before, I own and like both the NES and SNES. Great systems with tons of great, classic games.

But the biggest burn of all, and you must admit it, was the GBA and GBA/SP releases. The first system (GBA) I actually bought and was excited about, since I love the old classic 16-bit games from the SNES/Genesis days. But the system's dim screen and crappy d-pad (lousy for heavy action games) ruined it completely for me. The SP was a scam re-release of a shoddy system, but although it improved the screen, it still blew. So, having been burned in that area, I didn't have a lot of interest in future stuff (particularly handhelds) from "Shigsey".

The GC just never interested me at all, no games that appealed to me.

That's it. Do I "hate" Nintendo? No, I hate the fact that they RIPPED OFF a lot of people with their crap over the years, though. I'm glad things are finally changing, and they no longer get away with what got them by in the past. This is particularly true in the handheld market, where they've had a lock on the market for a long time. Its about time we had a change, and the DS isn't going to keep them going, based on its design issues.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:
As I said before, I own and like both the NES and SNES. Great systems with tons of great, classic games.

But the biggest burn of all, and you must admit it, was the GBA and GBA/SP releases. The first system (GBA) I actually bought and was excited about, since I love the old classic 16-bit games from the SNES/Genesis days. But the system's dim screen and crappy d-pad (lousy for heavy action games) ruined it completely for me. The SP was a scam re-release of a shoddy system, but although it improved the screen, it still blew. So, having been burned in that area, I didn't have a lot of interest in future stuff (particularly handhelds) from "Shigsey".

The GC just never interested me at all, no games that appealed to me.

That's it. Do I "hate" Nintendo? No, I hate the fact that they RIPPED OFF a lot of people with their crap over the years, though. I'm glad things are finally changing, and they no longer get away with what got them by in the past. This is particularly true in the handheld market, where they've had a lock on the market for a long time. Its about time we had a change, and the DS isn't going to keep them going, based on its design issues.

You act suprised at this. Remember the original GB? Then they made the GB Pocket (with about a million special editions). Then (in japan anyway) they made the GB Light. Then they made a GB Color. Then they made Super GB and Super GB2.

Its called "were a business and we need to make money".

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
no. rez was about having a sense of gaming different from others.

Not really, if you believe you can really enjoy REZ in a small TV with small speakers, you are seriously wrong.

This game was nothing but a massive and intense shock to the senses, just like the Tokyo Drome REZ event, this game was seriously tied to electonic music, DJs, and the rave/night scene.

It displaying vector graphics and heavy lightning effects isn't connected to any kind of "gaming rebellion", it's just a powerful experience for your eyes and ears.