Am I the only one who thinks the DS is a Piece of shit?

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Okay, first of all, it may just be me, but it's one of the ugliest designs i've ever seen, what was the point of two screens? Really nothing, it's a fucking gimmick, so it wouldn't look exactly like the GBA SP (which seems like it JUST came out, why did nintendo need a new handheld when the GBA is no.1?).

And the graphics look really bad, I mean Madden 2005 looks like a fucking Ngage game, I was not impressed. No doubt the DS will do amazing 2-D, better than the GBA, but the 3-D games look kinda shitty, and I just don't think it will be as good as the PSP. The launch titles all look like re-hashes or portable ports of big games (mario 64, madden, tiger woods, sonic advance, yawn. (i love sonic, but damn this game is getting pimped). it's sad to say but this is what the portable world has become, there is one worthwhile original game for like every 20 released on the GBA.

I'm not saying Metal Gear Solid Card Fighter is any better.....

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
PSP > DS

I predict Sony to take over the handheld market as well.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
DashK said:
Okay, first of all, it may just be me, but it's one of the ugliest designs i've ever seen, what was the point of two screens? Really nothing, it's a fucking gimmick, so it wouldn't look exactly like the GBA SP (which seems like it JUST came out, why did nintendo need a new handheld when the GBA is no.1?).

And the graphics look really bad, I mean Madden 2005 looks like a fucking Ngage game, I was not impressed. No doubt the DS will do amazing 2-D, better than the GBA, but the 3-D games look kinda shitty, and I just don't think it will be as good as the PSP. The launch titles all look like re-hashes or portable ports of big games (mario 64, madden, tiger woods, sonic advance, yawn. (i love sonic, but damn this game is getting pimped). it's sad to say but this is what the portable world has become, there is one worthwhile original game for like every 20 released on the GBA.

I'm not saying Metal Gear Solid Card Fighter is any better.....

Well its based on N64 hardware........... so yeah.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I kinda agree, alot of N64 ports coming out for the DS. But then again alot of SFC ports came out for the GBA and it still rocked. Only time will tell.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
It looks horrible. Does Nintendo even bother to playtest their products anymore? :oh_no:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I can't see how so many people can hate w/o even owning a fucking system?

I'm trying to watch Kung Pow, so please quit bothing me...

My fanboyism is taking over...

I think its fun, and novel.

But it would have been a hell of a lot better with an analog stick.

The touch screen is ass.

I just hope that this thing takes off so I can play mayeb a port of Star Fox 64, Zelda, something by Treasure.

The N64 wasn't a great seller, so why base hardware on an ill-fated system?

Especially when you have to compete with the big "S".

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:
It looks horrible. Does Nintendo even bother to playtest their products anymore? :oh_no:

Chimp hates nintendo. Shocker of the year.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
on second thought the GBA SP might do better 2-D after all, remember how the saturn did better 2-D than the DC, and the N64's 2-D wasn't so hot, cause it was a 3-D chip, and the 2-D was just secondary (just like the DS maybe, if it's based on the N64).

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
DashK said:
on second thought the GBA SP might do better 2-D after all, remember how the saturn did better 2-D than the DC, and the N64's 2-D wasn't so hot, cause it was a 3-D chip, and the 2-D was just secondary (just like the DS maybe, if it's based on the N64).

It's not based on the Nintendo64 at all.

And regarding 2D, the DS has (practically) the GBA hardware embedded, so it will be able to perform better 2D than the GBA.

Haha, all this Nintendo64 talk makes me recall how amazingly over-hyped the system was.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
Haha, all this Nintendo64 talk makes me recall how amazingly over-hyped the system was.

It's funny, because I can remember back clear as day when this was coming out. So many fans creaming themselves over the E3 demo of Mario swinging Bowser around by his tail. So much hype behind that machine, compiled with how great the SNES was, was one of the biggest letdowns in gaming history.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I didn't like the DS at all (so far anyway). It seems weak in power (slightly better than GBA) and the dual screen is rather gimmicky. I think the touch pad is a novel idea but we will see if it is implemented well in games. The launch lineup is very weak, and it is interesting to see how Nintendo markets 2 handhelds.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If the DS was really a N64 scaled down, I'd be praying for Sin and Punishment.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I'm happy with my DS purchase.

Whether it ends up biting the dust to the PSP or being just another N64 clone (having a few good games and that's it) remains to be seen.

But I honestly could care less if either one of the scenerios becomes present...

I've enjoyed the system thus far (although that's not saying much) and I'm certain that I'll find plenty of games to enjoy in the future.

Either way... meh - I like it, but I can't be assed to care if it does well or not, since I don't care about crap like that.

Wonder why so many people seem to though...?

*shrug*

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
SonGohan said:
It's funny, because I can remember back clear as day when this was coming out. So many fans creaming themselves over the E3 demo of Mario swinging Bowser around by his tail. So much hype behind that machine, compiled with how great the SNES was, was one of the biggest letdowns in gaming history.

Hahaha, that is not even the tip of the iceberg.

At first, Nintendo "hid" SGI Onyx workstations displaying graphics that were never possible on the Nintendo64, and claiming there were indeed graphics being performed by proto-type "Ultra64" systems.

Let's not even mention the Nintendo/Rare/Midway campaign with Killer Instinct. "Available in your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra64!" - Sure. These companies even claimed that the "Ultra64" was far more powerful than the Killer Instinct hardware, and that the consumer release would be even upgraded, enhanced and optimized. Look what they delivered. Killer Instinct Gold.

The Nintendo64/Ultra64/Project Reality is definately the most over-hyped and dissapointing hardware ever released, seriously.

seba_boi

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I'm still supporting Nintendo... I'll be buying it in December...

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
Hahaha, that is not even the tip of the iceberg.

At first, Nintendo "hid" SGI Onyx workstations displaying graphics that were never possible on the Nintendo64, and claiming there were indeed graphics being performed by proto-type "Ultra64" systems.

Let's not even mention the Nintendo/Rare/Midway campaign with Killer Instinct. "Available in your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra64!" - Sure. These companies even claimed that the "Ultra64" was far more powerful than the Killer Instinct hardware, and that the consumer release would be even upgraded, enhanced and optimized. Look what they delivered. Killer Instinct Gold.

The Nintendo64/Ultra64/Project Reality is definately the most over-hyped and dissapointing hardware ever released, seriously.

i felt so cheated when i never got a home port of KI on the N64, KI gold was shit.

Ayrton Senna

Quiz Detective
SonGohan said:
PSP > DS

I predict Sony to take over the handheld market as well.
I am inclined to agree with this statement. Especially since the PSP price is so close to DS. I think people will just pay the extra $30 or so to get better graphics and more capabilities.