Official Complete Japanese Tier List for Mark of The Wolves

G-Product

Benimaru's Hairdresser
This ranking is made by Best Garou players(total 46 raters) from Japan and the character are rated from 1=Bad to 5=Good.

ranking system: S - A - B - C - D

S-Rank: 1st place - Kevin Ryan(rate average 4.67)

rating

5 - 36
4 - 6
3 - 3
2 - 1
1 - 0

A-Rank: 2nd place - Kim Jae Hoon(4.33)

5 - 22
4 - 19
3 - 3
2 - 2
1 - 0

3rd place - Gato(4.28)

5 - 21
4 - 18
3 - 6
2 - 1
1 - 0

4th place - Terry Bogard(4.27)

5 - 21
4 - 20
3 - 5
2 - 0
1 - 1

5th place - Grant(4.05)

5 - 19
4 - 13
3 - 6
2 - 4
1 - 1

B-Rank: 6th place - Bonne Jenet(4)

5 - 10
4 - 26
3 - 8
2 - 1
1 - 0

7th place - Marco Rodriguez(3.89)

5 - 10
4 - 22
3 - 12
2 - 0
1 - 1

C-Rank: 8th place - Hotaru Futaba(3.65)

5 - 9
4 - 16
3 - 14
2 - 2
1 - 2

9th place - Kim Dong Hwan(3.56)

5 - 8
4 - 17
3 - 18
2 - 4
1 - 1

10th place - Kain R. Heinlein(3.55)

5 - 7
4 - 18
3 - 12
2 - 4
1 - 2

11th place - Rock Howard(3.27)

5 - 4
4 - 16
3 - 20
2 - 7
1 - 2

D-Rank: 12th place - Hokutomaru(2.89)

5 - 3
4 - 9
3 - 15
2 - 18
1 - 1

13th place - The Griffon Mask(2.66)

5 - 2
4 - 7
3 - 14
2 - 16
1 - 5

14th place - Freeman(2.65)

5 - 1
4 - 9
3 - 16
2 - 13
1 - 7

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
Wow, this is pretty damn old, I see this posted up everywhere now.

ken_dong

Sakura's Bank Manager
Butt... 7nd place only? Pretty strange...

Jae Hoon is rated as 2nd and that's right, he may be slow compared to Dong (I'm talking about regular attacks), but his combos are VERY damaging.

Rock TOTALLY suxxx, just as expected; all of his S and P Powers are useless.

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
ken_dong said:
Butt... 7nd place only? Pretty strange...

Jae Hoon is rated as 2nd and that's right, he may be slow compared to Dong (I'm talking about regular attacks), but his combos are VERY damaging.

Rock TOTALLY suxxx, just as expected; all of his S and P Powers are useless.

Rock's supers aren't useless, his qcf,qcf+D is his best super. He can go into his 360+C, AB, qcb+A, qcf,qcf+D, d,u+P when stuck in the corner, and if he's nt in the corner, he can do the same thing without the qcb+A.

Butt rated 7th is about right, the people who are on top of him are a lot better than he is, he doesn't have that many mix ups, he doesnt have many cross ups, just about all the top players who use him try using his f,d,df+P and braking it into a super or a big ass combo, and his combo's don't do that much damage if he isn't in T.O.P mode.

And if you know how to use jae right, he's not slow ;)

ken_dong

Sakura's Bank Manager
Master Giby said:
Rock's supers aren't useless, his qcf,qcf+D is his best super. He can go into his 360+C, AB, qcb+A, qcf,qcf+D, d,u+P when stuck in the corner, and if he's nt in the corner, he can do the same thing without the qcb+A.

Butt rated 7th is about right, the people who are on top of him are a lot better than he is, he doesn't have that many mix ups, he doesnt have many cross ups, just about all the top players who use him try using his f,d,df+P and braking it into a super or a big ass combo, and his combo's don't do that much damage if he isn't in T.O.P mode.

And if you know how to use jae right, he's not slow ;)
Rock:

Every super can be stopped by almost any attack, there's no need to talk about the D version of the Power Dunk :P ; sure, his qcf*2+D and deadly rave neo are fast as hell to come out, but as said before, it's useless if they cannot hit...

Btw, Rock's CD move really isn't that great, u can see this move coming out from miles...

And then we have the fireball question, and Rock has got a slow fireball (A button) and another fireball, SLOW too because it could be fast but he takes too much time to launch it...

In addition, Rock does not do THAT much damage in general... his qcb+A is pityful...

BUT Rock has that GREAT Special Throw; he can do qcb+D, throw movement, and AB brake followed by a qcf*2+A... LOVELY damage here ^^.

Butt has got WAY fast fireballs; the opponent goes down if the fireball is very close to him, and it's more damaging when close.

His f,d,df move ... well, it simply does not have priority... trade hits or, worse, you get hit instead...

Anyway, Butt can do his supers after almost everything... a weak f,d,df move, a weak hienshippukyaku move, TOP move, his qcb moves, and if you counter hit with a fireball, it's a free qcf*2+C...

As you can see, he is a top tier...

As regards Jae, you are right, but Dong will always be faster then ^^

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
G-Product said:
how is Kevin top, that fucker bores the hell outta me!

Just cause he bores you, doesnt mean he sucks....I'm just gonna quote something I said at srk and add a bit more.

All of his attacks are useful, unlike most other characters in the game. His feints are almost as good as Terry's, and his are easier to pull off than Terry's.

Master Giby said:
Well, that vid uses the "BS" version of Garou. It was the prototype someone supposedly got their hands on in the beta testing. It has more air juggles, Grant has an infinite, Gran't can feint out of his df+C, Gato can get in more hits with his qcb+B, B air juggle if timed right, and its very very glitchy.

I agree that Grant is a beast, but he's not better than the characters who are ahead of him.. The main reason Jae is up there is cause he's got easy links that do a lot of damage, and he has good recovery compared to most characters. Gato on the other hand has more speed, and recovers from most of his moves quicker than Jae can, he can build his power gauge up in about 5-10 seconds, he's got some good mix ups and a lot of mind games with his qcb+K.

Kevin is up there cause he's got a ton of combos that do major damage and require little to no effort at all. He's probobly the easiest character to do feint combos with, and if he's got you in the corner, you're screwed. His qcf+K can lead into almost anything if you brake it.

Grant can do a ton of damage, he's got that "hit and run" as I like to call it since he cat beat you down and then use his f,d,dfC into a d+D to go to the other side of the screen, he's got the most life(it was either him or Tizoc)out of all the characters. The only down side to Grant is that he can't use feint cancels, and he can't link anything together, just his cA, into a super. His qcf+K is godly, it goes through damn near everything, then when the opponent gets countered, you just do your super, and take a ton of life out of them. The fact that he doesn't have many links and can't feint cancel makes him 5th.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
G-Product said:
how is Kevin top, that fucker bores the hell outta me!

Kevin has excellent pressure because of his feints. This is what makes breaking moves truly evil, is the amount of pressure you can inflict.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
Everything I've read on Garou says the Kevin is the cheapest character in the game. TCO likes to play as him, but I don't think he uses KR cheaply...

BTW, what are feints, and what are they used for?

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
feints are for extending combos
try C, f+AC, C with almost any character to get the idea.
cancel the feint into the second C (or any move really) and then continue.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Kevin is definately top tier. His combos are very easy to pull off not even considering the fients etc. And his breaking move is probably the best in the game.

ken_dong

Sakura's Bank Manager
The_Chosen_One said:
Kevin is definately top tier. His combos are very easy to pull off not even considering the fients etc. And his breaking move is probably the best in the game.
He's got no fast fireballs tho...

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
ken_dong said:
He's got no fast fireballs tho...

And your point is? In Garou, its not smart to use projectiles, the opponent can Just Defend them, it doesn't matter how fast they are. Kevin, Gato, Jae Hoon and Terry are the best in the game, 1/4 have a projectile, and his projectile is slow.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Master Giby said:
And your point is? In Garou, its not smart to use projectiles, the opponent can Just Defend them, it doesn't matter how fast they are. Kevin, Gato, Jae Hoon and Terry are the best in the game, 1/4 have a projectile, and his projectile is slow.

Don't forget gato's air follow up A :D

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
Don't forget gato's air follow up A :D

I don't really consider it a projectile, it only hits the floor, it doesn't fly in the air, like K's air projectile in 2k3. If the opponent jumps into Gato, it will miss.....But only an idiot would do his A follow up when his opponent is jumping at him durring the qcb+k.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Master Giby said:
I don't really consider it a projectile, it only hits the floor, it doesn't fly in the air, like K's air projectile in 2k3. If the opponent jumps into Gato, it will miss.....But only an idiot would do his A follow up when his opponent is jumping at him durring the qcb+k.

I'd have to disagree. I consider anything that hits from a character thats seperate from a character a projectile.
Like Takuma in 2002.

BTW, wanna go a couple in 98?
Havent played many 98 players lately and its getting boring.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Someone care to explain how Freeman ended up at the bottom of the barrel?

He still remains a fun character to pester people with IMO...

ken_dong

Sakura's Bank Manager
Master Giby said:
Naaa, it IS smart to use fireballs, trust me ^^.

Yeah, there is just defend... does it really matter? Just defend ALONE sucks, you simply regain some life... and not THAT much..^^

Just defend becomes good if you know how to guard cancel, that's it... btw, the opponent can always just def fireballs, ok, but he will always block (not just) some of them... and in this game just a few fireballs=guard crush...

So in the end Marco IS strong... he's easy to use AND very efficient...

ken_dong

Sakura's Bank Manager
Stefan said:
Someone care to explain how Freeman ended up at the bottom of the barrel?

He still remains a fun character to pester people with IMO...
Freeman is boring IMHO, and he is weak because he only got a few combos, definitely not a combo-friendly character...

His normal moves and special moves don't have much priority...

About his supers, you can combo Full Blast from light attacks, but the super itself is quite useless... if you do the super alone, it will be very slow and the opponent will just defend it and recover MUCH life; in addition, Freeman can be hit out of Full Blast and the blast won't come out AT ALL, unlike Terry's Power Geyser...

The other super can be surprising cuz there are no special effects when he activates it, but must be done on grounded opponent mostly... for example, if the opponent is jumping at you and you activate the super, he will fly over you and Freeman will simply walk forward without hitting at all... disappointing if u ask me.

His qcb+P*3 doesn't have variety, cuz only the second qcb+A is dangerous; it hits low, good thing, but why isn't the second qcb+C overhead??

I admit I'm nowhere near a pro at Garou, so I don't know what these guys know.. but I severely don't agree with that list.

My tier list, in order of fighting efficiency and ease of use, top being the highest for me:

Kim Dong Hwan
Terry Bogard
Gato
Marco Rodriguez
Hokutomaru
Freeman
Kim Jae Hoon
Hotaru Futaba
Bonne Jenet
Kain R. Heinlein
Grant
The Griffon Mask