What Neo Geo Game/s are you playing? Weekly/daily check.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
ab01d38ba5562088d80471ca6b885485.jpg

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I just played Burning Fight for the first time...I can't imagine it would've been a good game back when it was released. Overall pretty generic, animation is crap, action is super repetitive though I suppose that goes w/the genre to some degree. It seems like they've got a lot of the makings of a good beat em up, it just falls flat for me.

I'm sure a lot of beat 'em ups, good or bad, would fall flat for you.

"Repetitive" ha

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
1945 Plus.

It's a hell harder than the first one on PCB.
Do you guys leave it to two lives too or do you play by Japanese standard of three?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So Burning Fight is a great game then? You disagree that the animation is crap?

My post doesn't imply that Burning Fight is a great game, it was a critique of your critique.

What makes a beat 'em up generic vs. original?
What type of animation would one expect from such a title in the 1991 Neo Geo context?
Anytime someone calls a beat 'em up "repetitive", it's obvious that they're looking at things through a superficial lens.

I do agree, that it was most likely considered a poor game when it was released, but if there was anything really cool mechanically about BF, would you have played the game to the extent of finding it?

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
What makes a beat 'em up generic vs. original?
Anytime someone calls a beat 'em up "repetitive", it's obvious that they're looking at things through a superficial lens.
You did see that I mentioned repetitive goes w/the genre to some degree, correct? Probably not though.
As for what makes a beat em up generic vs original, Robo Army IMO is a better game than Burning Fight. In that you can transform into a car, there's the special moves and it's more interesting with the various robot animal enemies. Final Fight is more interesting because the characters have different abilities, there seems to be little to no difference in the characters in Burning Fight. Want another original beat em up? Comix Zone on the Genesis. Sorry to have apparently offended you by not liking Burning Fight...

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You did see that I mentioned repetitive goes w/the genre to some degree, correct? Probably not though.
As for what makes a beat em up generic vs original, Robo Army IMO is a better game than Burning Fight. In that you can transform into a car, there's the special moves and it's more interesting with the various robot animal enemies. Final Fight is more interesting because the characters have different abilities, there seems to be little to no difference in the characters in Burning Fight. Want another original beat em up? Comix Zone on the Genesis. Sorry to have apparently offended you by not liking Burning Fight...

The content of this rebuttal pushes you further into the superficial lens-realm. I've read your post well. Stating "repetitive" or "repetitive goes w/the genre to some degree" makes no difference. These are the types of statements better reserved for people who don't really like/play old video games (I'll assume you do).

Comix Zone is a console game and isn't even a belt scroller, silly comparison. You come across as an intelligent guy, don't pretend I'm offended by your opinion of burning fight. Take my messages for what they are.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I do agree, that it was most likely considered a poor game when it was released, ...

You probably added 'most likely' to indicate exceptions to this poor reception and here they are: http://www.kultboy.com/testbericht-uebersicht/3603/

Two reviews in the German press from the early 90's -- Burning Fight was released in mid '91. Video Games awarded it with the highest assessment, calling it "hervorragend" (outstanding) and a year later, Mega Fun ordered 77%, which you could interpret as highly recommended. In '94 the most prestigious mag back then made a synopsis of short reviews of almost all Neo-Geo games available at that time and Burning Fight was awarded three out of five stars. The conclusion was:

A first class Final Fight clone. Save for the constrained animation of the heroes, it's a gripping, for extensive and diversified, brawler with very good graphics.

To sum it up: At least in in Germany, Burning Fight was very well received at its release and its evaluation never sank more than to be called clearly above average during the following years. The best reception out of the Neo brawlers had Robo Army, BF & both Sengokus were second best followed by Mutation Nation.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Thanks to Apocalypse, I will be playing more MS1 for the next few weeks. He posted a memory patch cheat that bumps the game difficulty up to 9. Not sure if it's only aesthetic or if it actually makes a difference. Main reason is to really see if there is a difference.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
He posted a memory patch cheat that bumps the game difficulty up to 9. Not sure if it's only aesthetic or if it actually makes a difference. Main reason is to really see if there is a difference.

Oh yeah everybody needs that.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Sent my Neo CD off to be restored/modded and my Omega will be here Friday, so right now I've got no Neo Geo to play except the NGPC. Put some time into MOTM and MS 2nd Mission today

famicommander

15 Year Member
Finally got my Omega yesterday so I put some serious time into AOF, Waku Waku 7, and Metal Slug.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Playing the usual online matches Garou (XBL), SVC (Fightcade), Samurai Shodown (PS3), Metal Slug 2 (PS3)

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Been playing league bowling on AES and PS3 for Gusmoney and my weekly vs high score challenge, I'm still waiting for him to beat my high score so far this week so I can challenge myself more.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
My Neo CD is back in action so I played some Puzzle Bobble, Super Baseball 2020, and Last Resort with my brother today. Also put in some time on Pulstar before he got here.

Yesterday we played Metal Slug, Street Hoop, Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, Waku Waku 7, and The King of Fighters 99.

It's rare that we both have the same days off in a week AND his wife doesn't also have the day off, so we got to put in some major Neo Geo time.

And I replaced the screen lens on my NGPC today, so I put in a little MOTM time.

Trying to get better at Neo Turf Masters. It might be my new favorite game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
A ton today and tonight.

Slug 2 & 5
Sonic Wings 2
LHPB
Andro Dunos
Ghost Pilots
Nam 75

jtucci31

n00b
Finally got Windjammers so I'll be playing that a ton once it comes in. Been waiting for many years to get it, finally broke down.

Also just been playing some regular-ish Metal Slug 2&3