What Neo Geo Game/s are you playing? Weekly/daily check.

MC708

n00b
I got MAME set up and played Blue's Journey, Metal Slug and KOF 98. They all seem pretty good, I'm having quite a bit of fun already :) Think I'm going to try some puzzle games now

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I got MAME set up and played Blue's Journey, Metal Slug and KOF 98. They all seem pretty good, I'm having quite a bit of fun already :) Think I'm going to try some puzzle games now

you new to the neo?.

Replug my Vita lately, looking at all the JRPG that Ive bought in the last 6 months....look at the loaded games on my system, saw SNK compilation and started a new season in Baseball Stars 2. Can't get enough of this!!

KingOfSLUGS

New Challenger
Been playing a lot of Matrimelee and Last Blade lately. Also been attempting to speed run through MSX.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Pulstar, AOF2, and King of Fighters 94. Taking 90% of the opponents life after inflicting dizzy status on opponents after I land relatively simple 2-3 hit combos in kof94 always feels a bit cheap, but fighting the input reading AI in this game is a guilty pleasure for me. Rugal is serious business in this game but there’s a few ways to exploit his AI so the whole experience isn’t as tough as an Art of Fighting 2 playthrough lol

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Haven't taken Aero Fighters II out of my AES in months.
Other consoles, been playing Sam Sho Anthology on PS2.
Need to get a stick for PS2...

chromesphere

New Challenger
Playing some fatal fury last night. Im not the greatest at 2D fighters, i can get to Geese without much trouble but just cant take that f!#@er down lol

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...i can get to Geese without much trouble but just cant take that f!#@er down lol

Haha, welcome to the world of SNK then, a place known for the most expensive carts and the cheapest bosses ;).

Pro-tip: Don't try to fight them, find a way to exploit. A basic move at the right time can do wonders.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Neo Drift out. It's short and simple but such a great top down racer.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
I've been playing Neo Turf Masters mostly, but I have been dabbling in NAM-1975, Blue's Journey, and recently made my first attempts at Neo Driftout, which is awesome!!

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
Mostly Last Resort, Blazing Star also. Samsho V and V Special from the Beat em up site.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Nice! Last Resort is probably my most wanted mvs cart at the moment. I can play it on the Wii neogeo collection and the Neo Geo stick that came out around that time, but of course its not the same. I've only got a couple of MVS shooters, I mostly play fighters. Been playing Ninja Masters lately

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Neo Turf Masters, SSVS, and some KOF 97.

Also the ACA NeoGeo Metal Slug games on console.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Magician Lord - I only beat the MVS re-spawn version, now it's time for NGH torture. I changed my opinion on this gem entirely from ok to masterpiece.
Cyber-Lip - The one credit clear is... near.
Money Idol Exchanger - I like it more, than MD III. Currently, it's a tie with MDII.
Kabuki Klash - Never liked that game, shame. That has to change now.
Top Hunter - With as many secrets as Viewpoint, this will take a while to comprehend, there's definitely magic in the air, though.

J-P

NEST Puppet
OliverClaude - I only tried Money Idol Exchanger a few times (got my butt beat on the third stage consistently) - I still haven't managed to get my head around regular chaining; I have 'Coin Puzzle Moujiya' on Saturn and it's very similar (recommend trying if you like MIE and haven't). I'm curious as to why you prefer MDII over MDIII though. I'll try to give MIE some more cab time.

I've been mostly playing - Sam Sho III/IV, Metal Slug X (trying to 1CC).

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Thanks for taking interest in my post, J-P!

I took a weekend to figure out how Money Idol Exchanger works, with some nice results. Getting your ass beat on the 3rd stage is the usual: it's the rule of most arcade games. But what makes En Arashizaki, the third opponent, so good? MIE is a counterattack game. Each character's strength is measured by how organized the lines you sent them will emerge on their side.

Let's say you manage to get a multiple chain, which will sent your opponent about 4 lines of coins. Now, if you send those lines to Lulula Franc, the second opponent, they will emerge on her side like this:

001 | 002 | 003 | 004 | 005 | 006 | 007

001 | 005 | 010 | 010 | 005 | 500 | 010
010 | 050 | 001 | 001 | 100 | 100 | 050
001 | 001 | 010 | 050 | 005 | 010 | 010
010 | 010 | 001 | 001 | 050 | 100 | 100

As you can see, they're totally disorganized.

But if you send them to Blibov Sakata, the second to last opponent and a fucking pain in the ass, the coins will appear like this:

001 | 002 | 003 | 004 | 005 | 006 | 007

001 | 100 | 100 | 010 | 005 | 050 | 010
001 | 100 | 100 | 010 | 001 | 010 | 005
001 | 050 | 005 | 010 | 001 | 010 | 005
001 | 050 | 005 | 010 | 001 | 010 | 010

Already neatly sorted for a big counter. The more lines you'll send him, the stronger he gets. It's Catch 22: In order to beat him, you'll have to sent him lines, the more lines you sent him, the quicker he'll beat you.

I further discovered, that the character AI is programmed to counter at a certain time. Even your first opponent, dummy Bill Bank, will eventually strike hard, if you give him enough time. Of course, the better your opponent, the quicker he'll strike. Blibov Sakata gives you about 5 seconds to do something, after that it's goodbye...

Another info: If you do good with all your opponents up to Seshil Pound (third to last), i.e. produce big chain bonuses & deliver a fast k.o., chances are high that you'll get two blue ER gems against Bibov, which is an immense help... if he doesn't get to use them first. You don't get two gems of the same kind on the final game against Note Bank. Just have to be good by then.

My AI tier list:

Bill Bank aka Coquetrybouncer > LOW
Lulula Franc aka Cherrybeiter > LOWEST
Arashizaki En aka Everyworker > MID-
Sakura Mitsukoshi aka Exchanger > MID+
Asahi Takashima aka Deptmiser > MID
Seshil Pound aka Eldylabor > HIGH
Sakata Blibov aka Mackermocally > HIGHEST
Note Bank aka Mightdealer > HIGH+

There's a small but palpable difference between Sakura and Asahi, so always pick Sakura, if you want to stay ahead.

Of course there are a lot of basic moves you'll have to learn first, like the advantage of 5er coins (5, 50 & 500) opposed to 1er (1, 10 & 100). You need only two of the former for an exchange, but five of the latter. Two 500s will vanish, try to use that fact. Further, if you are about to throw a 10 on top of four other 10s, you better make sure there's a 50 coin under or next to that column, so that the 10s, which will exchange into a 50, can chain-react afterwards. The Exchange consumes a second, so there's still enough time left to throw a 50 on top of that five exchanging 10s -- you just have to see where one is available with the outer corner of your eye ;).

Final note: Always try to exchange your special ER & RU gems horizontally, like this:

ER | ER

Not vertically, like this:

RU
RU

As you know, a green RU tile will rank up all coins of the same denomination, a blue ER title will erase all coins of the same value. If you exchange each of them horizontally, both coin denominations underneath will be exchanged. If you do it vertically, you'll exchange only one.

All in all, it's MIE > MDIII for me, because the former offers this exchange difference between 1s and 5s. It provokes a different, more versatile, yet organized, kind of rush, than MDIII's simple but frantic one-way color coding. I also like MIE's fine-grained graphics against the rugged edges of MDIII's characters and the former's brighter color palette. Both games are on-par, though, it's just my own preference.

P.s. Thanks a lot for the Saturn tip, I'll definitely try CPM.

J-P

NEST Puppet
Wow Oliverclaude, that's actually super helpful/interesting. I'll have to dig the cart out tonight and take a deeper look at it. Also, I just found a post recommending / detailing some of the history behind Mujiya here on this very forum.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
My pleasure, J-P. Money Idol Exchanger is a great game, it's just that the learning curve of bare basics is quite high. Once you manage those basics, though, it becomes simple in a very pleasant way. Magical Drop III is the opposite of that, it's very easy to grasp the basics, but very hard to learn in-depth strategies, at least for me. Like using the falling time of dropped gems to connect further chains. Or using constantly 2-3 chain attacks, instead of releasing a big one, because the latter takes too much time and lets your opponent reduce the impact.

MIE is more about organizing and arranging things, not unlike Tetris, and the exchange mechanic, which makes it unique, while MDIII is about exploding things, different attack patterns and rush.

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
Magician Lord - I only beat the MVS re-spawn version, now it's time for NGH torture. I changed my opinion on this gem entirely from ok to masterpiece.
Cyber-Lip - The one credit clear is... near.
Money Idol Exchanger - I like it more, than MD III. Currently, it's a tie with MDII.
Kabuki Klash - Never liked that game, shame. That has to change now.
Top Hunter - With as many secrets as Viewpoint, this will take a while to comprehend, there's definitely magic in the air, though.

Magican Lord is truly a masterpiece! Finished it on aes in the 90s. I bought the game for MVS a few weeks ago, but only played a bit for nostalgia :) The soundtrack is incredible awesome and pulls you right in.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Last Blade. I recently got a retro tink and with s video this game looks great.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Forgot to add 8man to my upper list... weird-ass game, which is as much a benefit, as it is a drawback. Got to track back the roots of that one, maybe I'll understand it better then.