PSP Releases in Japan at 19800 Yen ($185 US!!)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

I wonder what its gonna cost on import and if they will be region locked or not? I hope Sony doesn't do that.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Awesome price.

Now if there were only some games worth playing on this crap hardware...

:tickled: :make_fac:

...j/k.

I'll still be giving more support for the DS, but a price tag under $200 does make the PSP, suddenly, very secksay.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Honestly this makes me want to consider getting one. I'm still not sold since I hardly can justify owning a GBA SP, but wow, it being a game machine and a portable video player as well could make it a very desireable XMas gift... :drool:

This kind of reminds me of the PSX vs Saturn battle back when they released in the states. Sega went to E3 with all these features, a surprize release date and all that jazz at their press conference and almost everyone thought they'd win the war.

Then Sony had their press conference and just said "September, $299". And just instantly crushed everything Sega did to that point.

Kind of feels like that with the PSP and DS right now.

*dons flame-proof suit*

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I see IGN has some more details.

Plus some finalized pics:

japanese-price-and-date-set-20041027030436645.jpg

japanese-price-and-date-set-20041027030438379.jpg

At that price, unless the battery life is stupid low, Nintendo is gonna have a hard time owning the Portable market for much longer.

Finally, after 15 years of crushing everyone else, a real competitor comes along.

GIMME A PSP AND RIDGE RACER, DAMNIT!

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Well, price aside (even though the PSP is now affordable by anyone's standards), the PSP just seems better than the DS. But, at that price point I don't think I can even consider a DS anymore. I'm not a huge fan of the N64, and the dual screens/touch screen capabilities apear as nothing less than a novelty at heart. The PSP on the other hand is powerful enough for good 2D fighting games....Nuff' said.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Holy shit! Also @ IGN

Battery Life Revealed
Sony talks specifics on battery life for the PSP.

October 27, 2004 - This is it. The one piece of information we've all been waiting for. Sony Computer Entertainment has at last managed to mention the word "battery" with regards to the PSP and follow that up with solid numbers.

In the words of the company, "PSP features an integrated high output lithium-ion battery that provides a play time of between 4 and 6 hours for game titles and continuous 4 to 5 hours for video viewing." These numbers, according to SCE, were determined with the system's luminance set to maximum (180 cd/m2) and minimum (80 cd/m2), volume set to half the maximum level, headphones used instead of speakers and wireless LAN not in use (note that the maximum luminance value rises to 200 cd/m2 when playing through AC power).
While SCE did not provide details on how much of a hit LAN play would bring about, it's good to at last have an idea of how long we'll be able to play games and watch movies on the PSP. Plus, extra batteries cost just about $45, so doubling the available time (if you're willing to carry a spare with you) could be an legitimate option.

All that's left now is to get the system in our hands and start checking these numbers out for ourselves. With PSP now launching to Japan on 12/12, the wait won't be too long (if you plan on importing, as we do).

FUCK ME!

I AM SOLD!!!

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
This is great news.
The original rumored prices were just crazy for a portable system.
Hopefully we hear more on battery life details soon.

EDIT:

broken said:
FUCK ME!

I AM SOLD!!!

Yep, sounds about right... :)

JHendrix

ResOGlas said:
Well, price aside (even though the PSP is now afffordable by anyone's standards), the PSP just seems better than the DS. At that price point I don't think I can even consider a DS anymore. I'm not a huge fan of the N64, and the dual screens/touch screen capabilities apear as nothing less than a novelty at heart. The PSP on the other hand is powerful enough for good 2D fighting games....Nuff' said.

This is what I said after seeing both sysytems.

Put PS2 level graphics and big name console games in THE SAME KIND OF GAMEPLAY SETTING ON THE PORTABLE VERSION, and you've got a winner. I mean Metal Gear on PSP plays just like the PS2 version, not some dinky knock off like they were on GBA.

When kids see the only two competitors in the portable market with such a small price difference and such a HUGE difference in the quality of graphics (it's what they're going to look at, don't kid yourselves), they're going to take the PSP.

JHendrix

broken said:
Holy shit! Also @ IGN

FUCK ME!

I AM SOLD!!!

:eek:

AND they've got the battery life issue down! That was the last hurdle, PSP is taking the portable war hands down.

EDIT: Doh! I should have read the whole PDF in the OG link I posted. :p

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Ah fuck it, I'm taking my preorder off the DS and going with the PSP.

Good thing I have a game pre-ordered with it.

Now its paid for in full.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
More @ IGN

PSP Games of December
Find out what games will arrive to Japan this December.

October 27, 2004 - PSP's got a date, it's got a price, but does it got game?Sony Computer Entertainment announcement today of the PSP's Japanese release date and price lacked one crucial bit of information: launch titles.

While we don't know what games will be available on 12/12, we do know that SCE and its third parties plan on releasing 21 titles before the end of the year. Included in the list are American titles, Japanese titles, fighters, mahjong games, and even acid (that's now a legitimate genre -- seriously!).
Update: SCE has revealed the exact dates for two of its titles. Minna no Golf Portable will arrive on 12/12, with Doko Demo Issyo arriving four days after that on 12/16. For more details, see this story.

Here's a look at the games SCE says will arrive to Japan in December.

Electronic Arts
Tiger Woods PGA Tour
Need For Speed: Underground Rivals

Capcom
Vampire Chronicles The Chaos Tower

Koei
Shin Sangokumusou
Mahjong Taikai

Konami
Mahjong Kakutou

Konami Computer Entertainment Japan
Metal Gear Acid (the genre for this game is "Acid")

Cyber Front
Kollon

Sega
Puyo Puyo Fever

Sony Computer Entertainment
Doko Demo Issyo
Minna no Golf Portable

Taito
Puzzle Bobble Pocket

Namco
Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipitta Daijiten
Ridge Racers

Hudson
Ren-Goku The Tower of Purgatory

Bandai
Lumines
Eiyuu Densetsu Gagharv Trilogy: Shiroki Majo

From Software
Armored Core Formula Front

Marvelous Interactive
A.I. Series Shogi
A.I. Series Mahjong
A.I. Series IGO

Remember, SCE hasn't stated which of these games will launch with the system and which will arrive after launch. Start making predictions as we wait for further info.

Ridge Racer AND Metal Gear in December!! YES!!

THIS SHALL BE MINE!

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Ahh shit, I think something is wrong with me. My genetalia seems to be stricken with rigimortis!

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I don't know what my prediction is, but my launch wish-list would definitely include Vampire Chronicle & Puzzle Bobble Pocket. Hell, I'll even cross my fingers that Ridge Racer makes it out on launch for Broken as well.

Now all they need is Riding Hero PSP to finish the package!

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
FatGuy said:
Under 200.00 I'm sold. I hope it plays pron.

If so, it would definitely be for Japanese release only. Sorry bro, but you will probably have to take a train to Mozaic town.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
EB.com has all of the games listed, when does this thing launch in the U.S.? Where can I preorder it?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
TonK said:
EB.com has all of the games listed, when does this thing launch in the U.S.? Where can I preorder it?

I thought David Reeves said that the PSP games would all be region-free, just not the movies? I'd say you should get an Import if that's the case, Tonk.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Region and parental encoding is mentioned as an access control of the UMD software specification, but it is unknown if this will be used for all formats of UMD (the movie industry may force it, but SCE has indicated in the past that it plans to keep the games region-free.)

In an interview with the official Playstation website, SCEE president and COO David Reeves has shed further light upon both the PS3 and the PSP, delivering a few surprises along the way in this revealing talk. Most notably, we've learnt that forthcoming PSP games will probably be region-free

TonK

Least Valuable Player
ResOGlas said:
I thought David Reeves said that the PSP games would all be region-free, just not the movies? I'd say you should get an Import if that's the case, Tonk.

Ah, well...

I have an insane amount of store credit.

I'm torn between the two systems...

DS looks fun... but Castlevania...

I guess I'll pick up the DS and buy a JPN PSP....

Who knows...

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
:) Nice hardware! :cool:

If the PSP is region free then i will get an import version
from www.videogamedepot.com if they carry it though. :cool:

Maybe the Cotton Series on the PSP. I know i'll pick the game up. :)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hopefully later today or tomorrow we will see some of the import shops start listing some prices on this bad boy for import.

Watch those pricks want like $300 for the basic PSP package.