The SSF2X Strat Thread

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I need to know what stuff is good to hold a mean game. I think we all need Wes's help in this, hes tourney level in SSF2X from what I've heard about his Guile. (Nick SonGohan)

My chars of choice right now are Ken and Guile. This thread is mainly a strat thread because I am inexperienced competitively playing this. So if you got something to add, 'go for broke!'. I could benefit from any info.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Some Guile tips:

Crossup with lk or mk

Sprinkle with crouch mk poke

Good pressure combo, even if they block:

Crossup lk or mk, lp x3, Sonic Boom, HK hop kick, and a lot of times they'll go neutral or try to jump and quickly follow up with spinning backfist. Don't try the backfist too much, unless they're in a corner and you're almost positive they'll try to jump out of the pressure zone. Most of the time you can just follow up with crouch mk a couple times to buffer another sonic boom or flash kick.

Super Art:

Use it only in combos or if you're going to finish off via chip meter. You should always have a super in every round with the amount of sonic booms you're going to throw.

Anti air with flash kick, and if you're afraid of trading hits or you don't have it buffered, always opt for the crouch hp. Works wonders.

Crouch mp is a good poke too, and can link sonic booms off of it.

Remember you lk hop knee still advances forward while you can charge for sonic boom. So something like crouch mp, sonic boom, hop knee (all 3 will combo), then afterwards do something like crouch lp x2 or 3, sonic boom, knee/backfist.. whatever I said above.

Your standing mk can move forward or backward, so use it in whatever situation suits you best (forward, or backward). Remember it charges, too. Another weapon to pressure with.

So yeah.. pressure with Guile. Don't get in fireball wars. Cross that shit up. Comb that hair.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Loopz's Recipe for Poor-Man's Vega:

Vega is a range-BEAST. His pokes on the ground are fucking tops. Low claw jabs and strongs are a thing of beauty. You should mix these up with the occasional low roundhouse sweep, or claw roll (alternating jab or fierce to get three or five blocked).
Once the opponent is pushed out a bit, you can mix up standing forward kicks, wait for them to jump and knock their asses back with Vega's beyond bitchin' standing roundhouse (NASTY range and comes out quite fast), or go for a wall jump and attack/slam/Sky High Crow.

Against fireball/projectile opponents, use Vega's unmatched skill and athleticism to get in. Anticipate the projectile, jump the fuck over and start a combo with either flying fierce or forward.

The whole key with Vega, since he doesn't do an insane amount of damage on anything (aside from his super), is to just pressure and poke, hit and run. Ideally you want to remain between right up close and about half-a-screen away from him. Any further than that, and you lose the advantage of his quickness since you can see wall attacks coming from a mile away and will be easy anti-air bait.
Vega makes for a large target too, so stay the fuck out of the corners, and use a feigned wall attack or Sky High Crow to escape.

G-Product

Benimaru's Hairdresser
I can give u the best adivce on this game

for 1 use Super Sagat not Super Turbo Sagat

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
old sagat is too cheap

you cant use him or gouki

if you do = no honour

G-Product

Benimaru's Hairdresser
you guys suck

Blanka
Use Super Trubo version. His crouching HP, standing HK and jumping vertical MP/Hp are great anti-airs. VErtical Roll and Electricity are also great anti-airs. Abuse the Suprise Backward (press b + 3K) and charge back to unleash a ground shave roll or regular rolling attack. This move builds super in no time. The Suprise Forward(press f + 3K) is good to get in range for a throw His Amazon River Slide (df + HP) is a great counter against fireball happy opponents and can get u back in range for a poke after using a poke. His Ground Shave Roll is great as an anti-air or for wake-up situatiions. Learn this combo as well

When the opponent is in the corner, crouching HK, Ground Shave Rolling Attack on wake-up for a ground cross-up, (charge b, press f, b, f + P), crouching MK, Vertical Rolling Attack (HK)

Chun-Li
Super Turbo version. never ever use Spinning Bird Kick (charge b, then press f +K), very unsafe move, heavy start-up cant combo, use it only to go through projectiles and sparingly in corner traps. You can also whiff thise move i nthe airto help build bar.Her Spinning Air Kick (charge d, press u +K) is a great anti-air, reversal, and combo finisher. Dont forget the charge glitch for her super Senretsukyaku (charge b, then press f, b, f +K) do the motion then contineu to hold f=df/uf then press K wehn ready.

Learn her super combos

Jumping deep HP, standing close HP, Senretsu Kyaku, Spinning Air Kick (HK)

Jumping deep MK, crouching MP, Spinning Air Kick (HK), Senretsu Kyaku

Dhalsim & E. Honda Next, with many more to come

G-Product

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Dhalsim

Super Turbo v.s. Super hmmm. Will in Super u couldn't control his ;limb lengths but long range is Dhalsim's game so controlling it or not doesnt hurt him. His Anti-air Yoga Blast (hcf + K) is a weak anti-air, slow start-up hard to land it on a jumping player. Almost goes straight up. He has betetr anti-air such as standing HK, standing close LP, b + MP in ST. ST Dhalsim will have a quicker walking spped, can tech throw so ST easily wins. His only combos include

crouching LP x 2/ Lp, MP, MP x 2, MP, LP

from far away, Yoga Fire (LP), standing HP/HK or Drill headburst/Drill Kick

E. Honda
standing close HP, Ohico Throw (hcb + HP) or do a standing close Hp after the throw will easily dizzy. He also shares teh same charge glict as Chun-Li. This helps land combos easy and to go through projectiles.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
G-Product said:
you guys suck

34.2.jpg

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It's a concept you'd never be able to understand, nor am I inclined to explain it.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
C'mon guys no fighting =)

Thanks Wes and Loopz, good info. I always liked vega, I need to try that shit. My super turbo is a "Matching Service" boot so i'm not into anniversary for that kind of play. I mean its cool you have multiple versions of characters, but the older ones are balanced really terribly next to the newer ones. My biggest issue with this series is the priority of throws.

G-Product

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Vega.jpg

Vega

His standing LK is safer than his standing close LP, the standing close wont whiff against crouching, if they block a standing close LK, quickly throw them. His standing far away MP, HP and crouching MP are his best ideal pokes. Use crouching HK to get in close quickly after a successful Rolling Crystal Flash (charge b, press f + P) a crouching Lp, Rolling Crystal Flash (MP) is a great two-in-one but itmight glitch and not hit. On some characters u can crouching LP, Rolling Crystal Flash (HP), if u score a Two-In-One finish off with a crouching MP.

Vega has great anti-airs from, standing HK, crouching HP and Scarlet Terror (charge db, press f + K). There's a great combo with this move but its rather difficult to pull off. Crouching MK, Scarlet Terror (HK), Scarlet Terror (MK), four hits baby.

His Off-The Wall moves are good for mix-up's and can annoy a slow paced character. These moves come in hadny to punish a whiffed move that has slow recovery, in this case use a Izuna Drop (Charge d, press u/ub/uf + K, when close press f +P) Mix this up with Flying Barcelona Claw (Charge d, press u/ub/uf + K, then press P) Sky High Claw has great priority and can go over some attacks crossin' up the enemy but leavin' u rather open. Vegas has a unique combo with this move. When ya in the corner, your opponent close to you, crouching MP, Sky High Claw (HP)

Never pick Super Vega. All ST characters have quicker walk speeds. He'll tech throw as well. Super Vega doesnt have the Scarlet Terror and his Sky High Claw isnt as good, plus if ya lose ya claw then ya fucked.

A crouching Hk is good to set-up Rolling Crystal Flash patterns, throws and Wall Leap wake-up's.

Combos

Crouching LP, Rolling Crystal Flash (MP/HP), crouching MP

Crouching MK x 2, crouching MP

Jumping deep HP, crouching LP, MP

Jumping deep HP, crouching MP, MK

Jumping deep HP, standing close HP, crouching MP

Crouching MK, Scarlet Terror (HK), Scarlet Terror (MK)

When you are in the corner and the opponent is standing close, crouching MP, Sky High Claw (HP)

Jumping deep HK, crouching HK

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
SonGohan said:
It's a concept you'd never be able to understand, nor am I inclined to explain it.

:)

my ken and guile are ok, my gief too

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Just beat super turbo on lv 8. First time I ever attempted it. People arent fuckin kidding, this AI is bad ass.
My best is Guile so far. I like to toss normal into sonic booms, they jump cHP etc.
This isnt to bad. cMK sonic boom. jlk throw etc.

Watched this match vid, getting into the flow of guiles character.
Wes my man, we gotta play this online.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
Just beat super turbo on lv 8. First time I ever attempted it. People arent fuckin kidding, this AI is bad ass.
My best is Guile so far. I like to toss normal into sonic booms, they jump cHP etc.
This isnt to bad. cMK sonic boom. jlk throw etc.

Watched this match vid, getting into the flow of guiles character.
Wes my man, we gotta play this online.

How convenient that I've called in tonight.. so Wes is free ;)

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
SonGohan said:
How convenient that I've called in tonight.. so Wes is free ;)

Wont matter either way, I need a new DSL modem. :mad_2:
I hate 56 so much man.