Tips for using Maxima in 99

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I've seen alot of vids where people use him and are lethal with him. I still can't play worth a shit using him. He's just too slow to work myself close enough to use his QCF moves ( which seems to be the core moves of using him effectively ).

Any help would be appreciated.

firebomber

Astra Superstar
My best strategy was always to make use of his autoguard as much as possible. He has a lot of it on his C attacks so abuse it.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
In 99 his close-c is also damn easy cancellable into Maxima Revenger. :)

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75384 wheeeee...

Also, the last video on this page from KOF CF has a nice Maxima 99 combo:
http://www.planetdreamcast.com/orochinagi/cyberfan/past/oct2k4.htm ("We Show")

The most interesting part of that combo is this (needs 2 power stocks, SDM capability, and I think your enemy has to be cornered):
CD, immediately cancel into Maxima Revenger (it whiffs), then quickly Bunker Buster. It's a 3 hit combo that does around 50% damage but it's kinda tricky. I think it's an off-the-ground but I'm not totally sure.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Thanks

Still can't pull that combo off though ( one in the vid ). Love the close-c cancel, lots of damage for such a simple attack. Also gotten into playing as Benimaru alot (qcf+P cancelled into qcf+Kx2, sweetness) . The hero team for the moment has became my fav.

lone_REBEL

Armored Scrum Object
Complete Strategy

Ppl on whom to use the qcf combos : Robert, King, Joe, Chang (against CPU)

Ppl NOT to use qcf combos : Ryo, Yuri, K', Mai (@ all not)

Since as CPU the former block lesser than the later who are very very fast playing and Max is a slow player.
Against Human players use the qcf combos either after getting to the other side of the opponent DURING AN ATTACK (a+b) or use them just for their block damage only against slow players like Max himself, Ralf and that old Psycho.
Mai becomes VERY easy if you keep get on her other side ALL the time and IMMEDIATELY continuing with HCF B/D.
Do not at all do his qcf against Joe since he can break it with dp, B/D which has a frightening attack priority.
Do NOT ever use his qcfs against Clark. He will devastate you.
You may also like to do his qcf A combo when the opponents legs are in Shingo's hold.

DM: Use his bunker buster only as an SDM and if you have theirs legs caught using Shingo striker. Otherwise stick to HCBx2 B/D. To do this effectively, JUMP to them from such a distance that you land just one step before them and send them startled for an uppercut and then immediately do it as they land.

Best times for doing his punishment (HCBx2 B/D):

After HCB D of Ryo
After HCF A/C of Clark
After dp C of Yuri (only the C version NOT the A)
After those two kicks of Takuma (db, f, D, dont know the name)
After HCB D of King
During qcf qcb DM of Kasumi

And Remember; do NOT trigger any mode counter or armor except that BOTH you and your opponent have red life. Then trigger only armor mode and use his qcf, A combo to kill them by using block damage.

Surprise your opponent occasionaly by f+D after his qcf C combo but only occasionaly not often.

Last thing:
Timing and knwing whom to do what move is the key to success with him. And only use Shingo, Kim, Mary or King as his striker and use either his bunker buster at the falling opponent if you can mess with the lever very fast or just punish them falling with his missile (df, C)

Thats all and have fun.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
'Bout the OTG combo, you have to buffer it.

Try this:
hcb+CD->hcb+B/D, then Bunker Buster.

Really mean combo. Oh, and you don't have to have your enemy cornered, either.

Edit: other strikers are good ya know... Robert for example, you can easily do Bunker Buster or his qcfs. Choi sets up for bunker buster pretty well, also, I think.

Last edited: