SS0S tiers

evo7_31

Geese's Thug
Been spending some time on this game, but only using the characters I'm used to from SS2 like Ukyo, Haoh, Charlotte.

Anybody have any strategies or tier-lists for this game? I know it's not supposed to be very good as a competitive game, but.. yea. :)

Thanks!

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Yes.

Learn shizumaru and genjuro as best you can.
The bosses all suck, so dont worry about them being a problem. A good rush down game can defeat zank. Amakusa's slow jumping can be run under.

Also learn suija and his cancels as best you can.
Abuse them like crazy.

SwordPlay

Crossed Swords Squire
Don't know about SSVS, but the top tiers in the original SSV are as follows:

Top Class:
Yoshitora
Mina
Rimururu
Shizumaru
Genjuro

Middle Class:
Charlotte
Rera
Yunfei
Hanzo
Basara

Everyone else not on the list are considered to be "Lower Class."

Mind you, that's a list made by others, and one that I really can't debate since my personal dislike of the game never made me play it seriously, so take it for what it's worth.

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
i can vouch for rimururu being tops, she's got a great runaway game but can still do lots of damage.

rest of the list looks fairly accurate too.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
the list has changed completely from 0->0spc.

yoshi isnt top anymore, he lost his infinite of course.

balance wise id say ss0spc is pretty tight but to be honest i gave up on competitive play after a couple of months...

gaira is high i know that.

evo7_31

Geese's Thug
Gameplay info for this game is rather sparse on the net.. there are some rather obscure combos that I would never have found had the AI not used them on me. Any idea where I can get more gameplay tips and strats for this game?

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I have a tough time getting a feel for tiers because I still switch off from regular to special too much, but I don't buy some of the middle tier choices. Basara's only solid move is dp+C, and everything else gets him killed. I can see misdirection helping him in high level play, but I always feel like I'm coming from behind with him. Rera is also overrated... she hasn't had a good way to break people's guard since she lost Nako's unblockable wolf jumping C in SSIV. Both Basara and Rera seem to far too often need to use their DM to bail themselves out - not the mark of a solid mid-tier character.

Some characters I think could make mid-tier in at least one of the games:
Enja, who can damn near kill you by comboing off of a standing B
Rasestumaru, who at least in special can break far standing B, dp+C, super
Tam Tam, because he's still Tam Tam
Zankuro, because of the green counter and green fist
Suija, agree with LWK that he's at least mid-tier in special if not higher

Some characters who merit more investigation:
Ukyo, and (at least in special) his AB swallow slice
Kazuki, and his combos off of qcf+B
Amakusa, and his high-low game off of the qcb moves
Jubei, who seems solid in both games

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
rera can get by with nothing but throws because her run speed is so damn fast. it's not flashy, but it does work very well.

also, many of the match vids I've watched feature Kusaregedo. he seems to be just as strong as SS0 and can zone effectively if the opponent doesn't rush him down.

finally, another slept on character imho would be Kyoshiro. he's no top tier but can be very dangerous in the right hands.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
neojedi said:
I have a tough time getting a feel for tiers because I still switch off from regular to special too much, but I don't buy some of the middle tier choices. Basara's only solid move is dp+C, and everything else gets him killed. I can see misdirection helping him in high level play, but I always feel like I'm coming from behind with him. Rera is also overrated... she hasn't had a good way to break people's guard since she lost Nako's unblockable wolf jumping C in SSIV. Both Basara and Rera seem to far too often need to use their DM to bail themselves out - not the mark of a solid mid-tier character.

you hit the nail on the head with rera and bas. hes good but very technical at high level otherwise very hard to win with.

in ss0 ukyo is top tier. in special hes still good though not as much so.

zankuro is good becoz of the block damage on his super.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
neojedi said:

Suija can be unstoppable if you master when to use his air dp's and doing them real close to the ground helps to (Match vids etc). Hes easily my favorite character in the entire series, along with Ukyo and Sogetsu.

Wicked design, he sounds like a psycho vega/bison and his canceling is second to nobody. *Yunfei* comes close IMO.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I practiced on and off all weekend on 5S... responding on some characters...

Yunfei is dangerous and at least mid-tier, I agree. The air stuff notwithstanding, the rage-draining throwing that powers up the fireball is nasty.

For Kusaregedo I couldn't put together enough of a game to get him even mid-tier. He can do damage when the throw setups start clicking, but his size and lack of cancellable attacks get him killed long before that. He reminds me of Hugo in SVC. I probably need to watch a match vid to change my mind about this char.

Kyoshiro in mid-tier I can buy because of his Karnow move on rdp+slash. It does air defense, ground defense, is a safe attack as long as you mix up the version, and does block damage and is a great meaty attack. The ridiculousness of that move makes up for the fact that they ruined his crouching AB and took away most of the block damage on the super.

Ukyo doesn't make mid-tier in 5S. The swallow damage is compromised by the risks needed to get it, and pretty much everything except jumping AB gets Ukyo punished worse than he stands to gain.

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
just a note yunfei can drain abc rage explosion meter and bcd mediatation meter, not just regular super meter.

don't count on it, but it does help him from dying to fatalies/meditation combos (and to lesser degree high damage hits when opponent is raged out) a little less often. plus if you cancel close AB on the first hit into qcf+AB after draining meter, say goodbye to at least 50% of your life.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
kafuin_gaira said:
plus if you cancel close AB on the first hit into qcf+AB after draining meter, say goodbye to at least 50% of your life.
Finish that combo with a (might need to run a little) u+BC and maybe some whipped cream and a cherry on top! :) The timing can be difficult, but I've determined that it is always possible (for the powered up version) to land the u+BC as a part of the combo as displayed by the combo counter.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I didn't know that there was no Practice Mode on the MVS version... that's what threw me off about that request. Anyway, I'm halfway to rethinking Basara... for a weak character, I'm getting an awful lot of wins with him. :p

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
gaira is officially a true beast :eek_2: i read what beelze posted but didn't take it to heart until recently.
i need to train more... tourney coming up soon :mr_t:

basara is a great counter-character for the big guys too, i may use him as a backup from time to time. he's very solid, no real complaints on his style from me. definitly upper tier quality.

krakov

Armored Scrum Object
Kusaregedo must be top tier!

I have a couple of match-videos were he own every single round. He has a command grab that takes of more then 1/3 of the lifebar, and he doesn´t seem to have any problems getting it to connect.

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
the motion can be difficult at first, but there are plenty of moves he can buffer the throw off of to get it to connect: df+D, rdp+C, B+C, qcb+slash? (not confirmed, but it looks like there should be time to get the grab while they are stumbling from the vomit)

yes it hurts like hell, and he is already a solid character with ranged normals.

cancelling his run into df+D also gives him just enough mobility to punish blocked specials like hanzo's ninja stars that he couldn't normally get to in time.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Those are good and I didn't know a couple of them. :) Here's 3 very necessary setups you are missing, however...

1. - f+D dodge behind your opponent. You can buffer the throw motion forward, and it will work as he turns around.

2. - after any missed jumping B, AB, or C. The throw cancels the animation where he is flattened on the ground.

3. - on wake up. This is supposedly his most dangerous setup, because the throw is supposed to completely cancel the wake up animation. When performed correctly, you should see 1 frame with Kusaregedo on the ground, then next frame with the throw animation beginning.

I can't call Kusaregedeo mid-tier yet because he's such a big target, but if he hits all of these setups and the ones above my post consistently, then he can definitely be a dangerous mofo.

Final note: If you're serious about Kusaregedo, remember to learn every setup with not only the regular throw but the super version of the throw. ;)

Last edited:

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
sweet, i'd missed a few of those setups myself. duly noted :buttrock:

try this on for size with haohmaru (discovered by Darrell and myself last night)=sword deflect opponent's B/AB slash into his hcb,f+AB. even though the move takes forever to start, the recovery time from the sword deflect is too great and you can say goodbye to at least 50% life, up to 90% if haoh is raged up or abc exploded.

yay for grab chars lol, you will pay in this game if you poke too much.

breal

Hardened Shock Trooper
Gaira, did they speed up the start time on Hanzo's fireball?

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
no. if anything i'd say it was slowed down ever so slightly. it still cancels from a lot of moves like close standing B (whether it hits, is blocked, or whiffed), though. i also read that he could cancel his backdash into the bakenryu which makes no sense since he's technically in the air, but i haven't proved/disproved that yet.