Akira coming to Bluray

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
By 'volumes' you mean the TPBs right, the 6 volumes, or do you mean the hardcovers that somoene else mentioned?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
If I had the extra spending money this news would be the push to get me a Blu-ray player (most likely in the form of a PS3.)

Fuck the Akira haters all-around.

The original US VHS release is the sole reason my VHS player is still hooked up.

Japanese version on the Special Edition DVD is just as good for different reasons.

Too lazy to read the manga? Uh... stop being lazy and read its brilliance already.

Physical copies are getting tough to find (sold mine off long ago) but you can torrent that shit easily enough nowadays.

Last edited:

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
If I had the extra spending money this news would be the push to get me a Blu-ray player (most likely in the form of a PS3.)

Fuck the Akira haters all-around.

The original US VHS release is the sole reason my VHS player is still hooked up.

Japanese version on the Special Edition DVD is just as good for different reasons.

Too lazy to read the manga? Uh... stop being lazy and read its brilliance already.

Physical copies are getting tough to find (sold mine off long ago) but you can torrent that shit easily enough nowadays.

Who the fuck wants to read 2200 pages on their computer?

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
I just caved and preordered it. Tower.com has it for $29.99 with free shipping, which is the best deal I found.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Not preferable, no.

But I'd rather someone read the manga in some format than in none.

I actually think Dark Horse will be re-issuing these down the road probably when the live action movie comes out as a tie in. There really is zero reason for these to go out of print other than to drive up interest, or rework the packaging.

I just caved and preordered it. Tower.com has it for $29.99 with free shipping, which is the best deal I found.

I could have sworn I remembered hearing about Tower.com sucking to order stuff from. Eh, I'll just go with Amazon.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
I could have sworn I remembered hearing about Tower.com sucking to order stuff from. Eh, I'll just go with Amazon.

I ordered Dark Knight from them with free shipping and it arrived in a few days.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
I remember buying it on Laserdisc but I can't find a listing for a LD release so, maybe that's a false memory.

It is no false memory, It was released by the Criterion Collection back when LD was prime for digital, I used to own it myself, and I wish I still did.

because I can never for the life of me get used to the new dub.

long live Cam Clarke (voice actor) who did "Leonardo" in the original Ninja Turtles Cartoon, "Liquid Snake" in the Metal Gear Solid Series. "Kaneda" in the original Akira dub, Max Sterling on Robotech, "Deflatermouse" on the Tick. etc etc.

Last edited:

Neogeofan12

Banned
It is no false memory, It was released by the Criterion Collection back when LD was prime for digital, I used to own it myself, and I wish I still did.

long live Cam Clarke (voice actor) who did "Leonardo" in the original Ninja Turtles Cartoon, "Liquid Snake" in the Metal Gear Solid Series. "Kaneda" in the original Akira dub, Max Sterling on Robotech, "Deflatermouse" on the Tick. etc etc.

Here's a listing of the Criterion Collection SE of Akira (three discs, the later pressing of the movie was two discs and it didn't came with extras, be warned):

http://cgi.ebay.com/LD-Criterion-AK...mZ290286519603QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Laserdisc

I own the three disc edition and the picture quality is fantastic. A lot of extras on the SE edition. A MUST OWN on LD IMO. :buttrock:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Simpsons and King of the Hill are now in HD and I can tell a difference.
I'm still blown away by the Simpsons in HD last weekend. I didn't even know about it until it was on. They changed the whole intro. When the episode first started it felt the same as when I first saw the movie in the theater. I didn't think it would feel so different, but I guess when you've watched the show the same way for two decades, it's a big deal. It feels like a different show now. I suppose this is sort of what it was like for people when they first saw their favorite show in color.

The King of the Hill episode was a good one too. Sorry to post this here, didn't want to start a separate thread.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Tower e-mailed today to let me know they already shipped Akira. I'll watch it as soon as it comes in and post my impressions.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
i used to own almost all of the original color comics.
but i didn't want to start reading, then have to stop cause i was missing as issue.
and then i had to sell ALL my comics when i moved provinces.
so i never did end up reading them.
dammit.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Tower e-mailed today to let me know they already shipped Akira. I'll watch it as soon as it comes in and post my impressions.

How comes some places have had this in and shipped them already?

Anyway, I am so hyped for this, I have the Manga, most of the original action figures ... I pretty much have a full-on shrine going on.

Here's a screen cap I found on the innernets;

(Unfortunately there has been some reduction in quality due to Photobucket's restrictions).

akira-bd-cap008.png

Here's a link to lots more caps I nicked.

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/CHAOS_STEP/Akira/

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

I'm a total art fag when it comes to dubs....I can't stand any of them.

Subs only for me.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
How comes some places have had this in and shipped them already?

Online shops often ship ahead of schedule so items arrive on the release date. I've received more than a few movies and games ahead of the release date because of this.

Neogeofan12

Banned
Man tomorrow is the day. Won't fullly test it out until tomorrow night, so can't wait. If only I had a sound receiver that can do lossess and HDMI. :scratch:

Neogeofan12

Banned
Well guys I got my first printing version from Moviestop today:

tnpicture054fh7.jpg

Just cost me $28.99 w/o tax.

Anyway, onto my short review:

Video:

The video which is up to 1080p is fantastic for the most part. I can see details which I didn't even notice when watching my Cirterion Collection Laserdisc and DVD copy of Akira. A good upgrade from the DVD version, but IMO I found at certain parts of the movie the red is a little too saturated. I don't know if that's how the move was originally painted but I found it odd at certain places there's a little too much red (Kaneda's jacket at times looks like it's color bleeding).

Video rating: 9/10.

Sound:

For different tracks:

Japanese TrueHD (the main feature sound mix) 5.1
Japanese LPCM 2.0 (Edit: Has Dolby Surround)
English TrueHD 5.1
Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1

OK, the sound is the major reason why I wanted to upgrade to the Blu-Ray version in the first place. I can't review on the Lossless tracks since I don't have a sound receiver that does lossless (my sound receiver is four years old, and ATM I don't feel like upgrading for two TrueHD Blu-Rays in my collection). Note that when trying to run the Japanese TrueHD track my sound receiver only receives it as Dolby Digital 2.0 and not 5.1 (this is a problem on certain sound receivers and was reported in the AVS forums). Of course if I run it via English TrueHD 5.1 my sound receiver will get the sound as DD 5.1.

The English TrueHD 5.1 (Pioneer/Geneon dub) is a slight improvement from the Geneon DVD versions of the past. It sounds better, but the big flaw I had against the English 5.1 mix is that the rear surround speakers doesn't get used that much. This flaw was in the Geneon DVDs and it's on the BD version.

Also there's the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix on the Blu-Ray disc, and for the most part it's IMO better than the English audio track. Is it me or this is a new sound mix just for the Blu-Ray version (or it was from the Japanese DVD versions, I should do research on this)? The back speakers get used a lot in the Japanese DD mix. In the DD mix there's some sound effect changes that was also in the Japanese TrueHD mix (when Kaneda got on his bike and went away at the beginning of the movie is different from English TrueHD mix, and the original LPCM 2.0 version. While the DD mix is a big improvement from the English TrueHD mix they are some moments where the sound effects were louder than the voices. So if you don't have a sound receiver that can do lossless it's recommended to play it in Japanese DD 5.1.

Of course if you want to listen to the movie with the original sound effects there's the Japanese LPCM 2.0 version. The downsize is that I found the mix to be pretty weak since it's in stereo only. I wish Bandai could had mix the LPCM track in Dolby Surround 4.0 for some sort of Surround sound on the PCM track.

Edit: It has Dolby Surround, will watch it in Dolby Surround later.

So my score on the sound mix: 8.5/10 (add an extra .5 if you had listen to the lossless track).

If you can play TrueHD lossless then go for the Japanese TrueHD track.
If you can't play TrueHD lossless then go for the Japanese Dolby Digital track.

Extras:

Didn't look at them, but honestly I herd that they weren't that great and some were the standard extras that was on the previous DVD versions.

In the end:

I'm glad that I purchase the BD version on release, and in the future I would like to buy the Akira DTS DVD version since I always love DTS more than anything Dolby.

Three different versions of Akira that I own:

tnpicture055sj5.jpg

Last edited: