jamma board sound issues (got sound, still issues though..any suggestions?)

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I went back out and tried it again....

I still get a little hum....

It's just this board too...the pgm sounds crystal clear...

ideas?

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
You could get a QPDT (quadruple pole-double throw) switch like this:

3086.jpg

And wire it as in this scheme:

MVSJamma.jpg

One position will be MVS, the other Jamma with sound from both speakers and a total impedence of 8ohm (good for jamma boards). Of course I'm assuming that the cab has two 4ohm speakers like official MVS cabs.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
MKL said:
You could get a QPDT (quadruple pole-double throw) switch like this:

3086.jpg

And wire it as in this scheme:

MVSJamma.jpg

One position will be MVS, the other Jamma with sound from both speakers and a total impedence of 8ohm (good for jamma boards). Of course I'm assuming that the cab has two 4ohm speakers like official MVS cabs.

What I am not 100% on in that diagram:

--why when the jamma side is connected, does the speaker - goes to one speaker and the speaker + goes to the other.

Shouldn't they both go to one speaker?

--Also, why does the right speaker - connect to the left speaker + in jamma mode?

thanks!

sorry for not understanding this, but I am new to it.

here's how mine is hooked up right now:

yeah, the ms paint looks like crap, but that's all I have and it's easy.

OH, and the diagram I made here has the "jamma" and "mvs" labels for the direction the actual switch would be pointing. Not to the pins for that setup.FOR EXAMPLE, when the switch is pointing towards the word JAMMA, it would be connecting the two pins on the opposite side of the switch, like a real switch would. hope that makes sense.

untitled.jpg

Starting from where I am at, would you suggest just having a switch that would cut off one of the speakers completely when in jamma mode? leaving one speaker getting speaker - and speaker + only?

Or am I ok where I am at?

ideas?

THANKS

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
NGT said:
What I am not 100% on in that diagram:

--why when the jamma side is connected, does the speaker - goes to one speaker and the speaker + goes to the other.

Shouldn't they both go to one speaker?

--Also, why does the right speaker - connect to the left speaker + in jamma mode?

Because that's how a series wiring is supposed to be:

seriesparallel.jpg

What you did is a parallel wiring, which is not good because the total impedence (2ohm) is too low for jamma boards amps.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Ok, thanks! I will try and re-work it and see what I can do.

thanks for your time!

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Done :) Works great! Thanks for all the help!

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
MKL said:
Forget about the screw and also forget about pin M: you probably read on that pdf on hardmvs that it is "audio ground" in the jamma pinout. That is misleading info: just ignore pin M when it comes to sound stuff.

How should it read? Is is misleading as in wrong? Or misleading as in not clear?

I honestly tend to stay away from the sound issue as I don't understand it, and I am very glad for this thread. I may try to put together a page with MKLs info (with his approval) as this seems to be one of the most asked questions

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Briggs, note 9 of your Jamma/MVS pinout pdf, about pin L (Speaker Negative = Ground/Common) is incorrect: as a rule, on Jamma boards pin L is a dedicated line coming from the amp and it's NOT ground. I've checked many boards and have yet to find one where L is ground. Therefore, identifying L with ground is incorrect.

As for pin M, reading "Audio Ground" in the pinouts, along with the other pins, gives the idea that it's something that *has* to be used when doing the audio wiring. The point is that a pin which is ground (but on which boards is pin M a ground?) should be simply called ground, without any further specification that would seem to imply that there are different types of grounds. This also holds for "Video Ground".

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
Thanks! I appreciate the info.

If you find anything on my site that is incorrect, please let me know. I am really not an electronics guy, I'm just more about bringing all the information I can to make it easy to find.

peap

New Challenger
I have another question concerning this.

The standard jamma "speaker resistance" is 8ohms, right? I have a mvs25up with two 8ohm speakers in it. They are connected separately (pin L to left speaker MINUS, pin 10 to right speaker MINUS and both speaker PLUS to common ground).

Do I need such a switch or can I just keep them connected like this as they are 8ohms instead of 4ohms as in the above example?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
The MVS sound amp (HA13001) is rated 4 ohms...

And if you use my switch with two 8 ohm speakers you'd have a 16 ohm impedence in jamma mode (not advisable).

peap

New Challenger
Is my setup not good as it is now for either jamma nor mvs? (the speakers and connections are just as they were when the cabinet left the factory in japan so it seems strange if the setup does not match the 6-slot board it was made for)

If i parallell connect my two speakers i get 4ohms, right?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
It should be OK for MVS. But if you want to use other arcade boards in it better use one speaker...

peap

New Challenger
Can't I parallel connect them as your drawing shows on the right to get the correct impedance (4ohms?) out of my two 8ohm speakers?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Correct impedence for jamma would be 8 ohm.

peap

New Challenger
Ah, so it's not possible to use both speakers at all with a jamma board?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Well, wiring them in parallel (4ohm impd.) would be better than wiring them in series (16ohm). 4ohm may not be ideal for the average jamma amp but still tolerable (hopefully).

peap

New Challenger
So here's my ideas.

Either I only use one speaker for jamma like this:

onespeaker.gif

... or I use two speakers and half the impd. like this:

twospeaker.gif

Please let me know what you think of these as I'm really tired now and may have missed important things. :)

N

NeoGeoRich

Im having a similar problem. Im trying to get any sound at all from my Ninja Turtles JAMMA PCB. I just connected the harness from my MV1 slot and nothing. How do i just change it to mono?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
peap said:
So here's my ideas.

Either I only use one speaker for jamma like this:

onespeaker.gif

... or I use two speakers and half the impd. like this:

twospeaker.gif

Please let me know what you think of these as I'm really tired now and may have missed important things. :)

Both of those would work, preferably the bottom version as you would get sound out of both speakers for both MVS and straight Jamma with an impeadance of 4 ohms.

Some confusion lies with understanding the concept of bootlaced audio output stages, the same single mono/stereo output devices are wired differently for mono or stereo applications, as MKL points out, the vast majority of jamma boards do not have pin L grounded- check the block of the HA 13001 as used on both mvs (stereo) and jamma (mono) board sets.

HA13001.gif

Think of it not like a conventional audio hi fi speaker output, with + and - being ground, the zero cross over point is inbetween the two.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The reason for boot lacing on jamma boards, or anywhere else ? Efficiency.

On the specs for this device (HA 13001 which is typical) the stereo application is 2 x 5.5 Watts (into 4 ohms) = 11 Watts total output

In mono mode the total is 17.5 Watts, more than 50% more power output running from one output (into a single 4 ohm load) compaired with the combined output into two speakers of similar impeadance.
:cool: