Need help in tracking down a SCART/RGB TV in the USA

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Okay, so I am going to get a SCART/RGB cable for my NEO GEO AES, but I obviously need a TV/Monitor with the proper hook-up. This is good, because I need a new TV anyways, BUT I can't seem find one in general US electronic stores on-line. I've been through Best Buy, Circuit City, and Tweeter on-line stores and na-da. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
galfordo said:
This thread may give you some ideas:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87836

Please PM me if you find anything interesting on this subject.
Thanks for the link man!

Holy fucking shit though, I'm uber confused now :emb:

I just want the RGB cable for my NEO GEO and then hook it up to my new TV and enjoy. I'm gonna pay Best Buy a visit and look at these up close an personal.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Well people have been real helpful all over the board. I think I got the info I needed and I'll keep you folks updated. Thanks again.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Okay, I DIDN'T the info I needed. I can't see to find a TV here in the US with an RGB hook up to fit the available cable, but I've done more research and found this:
http://atarilabs.com/meat/2000/1201_rgbprimer.shtml
Now the problem here is, I can get RGB output, but I don't have a TV, I have a small screen, AND I have to chop up the SCART/RGB cable I'm gonna plunk $25-30 big ones on. Also, its not possible to hook up RGB cable to VGA/SVGA inputs on a TV?

I really want superior NEO GEO gaming, HELP ME PLEASE :(

Last edited:

showryeyoucan

Quiz Detective
Big Shady said:
Okay, I DIDN'T the info I needed. I can't see to find a TV here in the US with an RGB hook up to fit the available cable, but I've done more research and found this:
http://atarilabs.com/meat/2000/1201_rgbprimer.shtml
Now the problem here is, I can get RGB output, but I don't have a TV, I have a small screen, AND I have to chop up the SCART/RGB cable I'm gonna plunk $25-30 big ones on. Also, its not possible to hook up RGB cable to VGA/SVGA inputs on a TV?

I really want superior NEO GEO gaming, HELP ME PLEASE :(

First of all you will have to chop up the scart cable, but it's no biggie- it's not that hard.

Here are some options

1. Buy an upscan converter to play your Neo on a VGA monitor or a TV with VGA inputs. This will take the standard res RGB output of your neo and upscan it to VGA. The resulting image is not perfect, but still quite good (far superior to composite or s-video). Something like an xrgb2 will cost you 200+ dollars. If you want to use an upscan converter on a TV with VGA inputs, make sure u figure out any possible compatability issues first.

2. Old analog capable computer monitor. A lot of people use old computer monitors capable of 15 khz, analog RGB. For example there are the popular commodore monitors, old apple rgbs, a few NEC models, and more. These are all pretty small screens, but the picture is great and you won't have to pay much. Remember these are old so make sure u know what ure getting. You may be able to hunt around locally and get one for cheap.

3. RGB capable studio style monitor. Many Sony PVM monitors are capable of 15 khz analog, and just go search on ebay for sony pvm to get a big list. The pvm-1910 is popular amongst gamers (19 inch), and can be had for less than 100 bucks including shipping. Mitsubishi also made some as well. Keep in mind some of these may be old as well, so research to make sure u know what your getting. You need to double check whether or not a certain one can do 15 khz RGB, but most sony pvms can.

4. Buy an arcade monitor. You (or someone else) will need to build a basic housing for it, but this will give you phenomenal picture. I recently got a 25 inch monitor from Wells Garder for less than 300 bucks, and it gives great picture.

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
You need to make and adapter or buy Japanese cables if you go for the upscan converter as the Japanese 21pin connector has a different pinout than the European scart connector.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
showryeyoucan & Pingu,

Thanks for the additional info, definitely useful. I did take a look at the Wells-Gardner site, very spiffy monitors. I still want to get a TV so it can act as my TV and my gaming monitor. Oh well, I might have to settle for a game-only monitor for superior video quality. This is really becoming more of a headache than I expected it to be :oh_no:

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Okay so here is my latest info. I found import multisystem TVs at www.world-import.com TVs which have EURO SCART connections, but after doing research for the Sony PVM's I have new plan. Get myself a nice Sony PVM, get the necessary BNC cables, cut one end off and put a male DIN-8 connector on the cut end to hook up my NEO GEO in sweet RGB style. Is my idea feasible? I think it just might be. Can the experts help me out?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Yeah, you were looking at the top two of these tv's, right?

http://www.world-import.com/sony-tv.htm

Those both seem like pretty decent choices, although the second one seems a little pricey. The only downside is that they don't have built-in NTSC tuners, but if you've got a cable box then it's no big deal. Well, I guess you'd also have to get a step-down transformer, but they're pretty cheap apparently. I was thinking of grabbing the top one and going scart with my Neo - does anybody have any experience with those tv's, or a reason why this might not be a great idea?

2point0

NEST Puppet
Check with Matt and/or 300wins

Both guys can probably answer any specific questions you may have about the SONY pvm monitors or RGB monitors in general. They're the guys I bother with my questions.

Also, if you're not able to, Matt can make cables and adapters to hook up your systems to the monitor.

I'm pretty sure that the sony pvm monitors have composite and s-video inputs so you can watch tv through it. Matt said that the s-video isn't that great though. I haven't tried yet, but apparently these monitors are used for video editing and stuff.

If you plan on using a home cart system, you should also consider having the RGB mod done to you home cart system. Some models are supposed to be better than others, but the RGB from my 136K serial model sucked. There were these strange white lines throughout the picture. I had Matt clean up the rgb output and it looks much better. No color bleeding and it has a really bright output.

These monitors are on ebay and you'll probably be able to find one near you, so shipping shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Why not get a wells gardner arcade monitor and chasis?

and build a box around it

I thought about buying the 33" multires modelll that would be boss for many aplications...

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Why not get a wells gardner arcade monitor and chasis?

and build a box around it

I thought about buying the 33" multires modelll that would be boss for many aplications...

Building a box around it that looks halfway decent is sort of a major project when you live in an apartment. Plus you can't use it as a tv. If I had the extra room I'd do it, but as of right now it's a bit tough.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Just wondering.....

I'm actualy trying to get my arcade cab to run TV signals...

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Just wondering.....

I'm actualy trying to get my arcade cab to run TV signals...

Hmmmmm .... I wouldn't know where to begin. The jroks will take you from
RGB --> NTSC, but is there a converter that will let you go the other way?

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
2point0 said:
If you plan on using a home cart system, you should also consider having the RGB mod done to you home cart system. Some models are supposed to be better than others, but the RGB from my 136K serial model sucked. There were these strange white lines throughout the picture. I had Matt clean up the rgb output and it looks much better. No color bleeding and it has a really bright output.

I'm not looking to S-video mod my system, the NEO GEO can naturally support RGB. I just have to make an RGB cable. I am now looking forward to this project and I'll get a picture documentray once I get it done. :)

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
galfordo said:
Hmmmmm .... I wouldn't know where to begin. The jroks will take you from
RGB --> NTSC, but is there a converter that will let you go the other way?
UBAH mod time :D

After all this research, I can't believe my Signal Processing and Digital Electronic skills are ACTUALLY being used. So I guess my 'rents didn't waste $110,000 sending me to a pimping university aka Villanova :tickled:

Last edited:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
So Shady - what kinda unit do you think you'll get to run your Neo in RGB? Are you gonna go with that Sony scart tv from that website you posted earlier, or are you gonna do the arcade monitor/build your own case routine?

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
galfordo said:
So Shady - what kinda unit do you think you'll get to run your Neo in RGB? Are you gonna go with that Sony scart tv from that website you posted earlier, or are you gonna do the arcade monitor/build your own case routine?
No, I'm gonna go with the Sony PVM monitors. They can do TV and have analog RGB. The RGB though on the Sony PVM is BNC's, not SCART, SO I have to get the proper BNC cables and get a DIN-8 plug, solder that stuff together, cover the exposed parts in heat shrink, and then FINALLY gaming on the NEO GEO RGB style. It seems to be the most cost effective route, just requires work.

My only cavet in using the Sony PVM that it is a clunker of television and not all up to date like the the televisions at www.world-import.com. Basically I'm trying to stay with in my college student budget. Maybe if I have the cash to throw around I'd go import, but I have the soldering skills and the know how so I am going to do a custom job. If you need more info or help, contact me. I've gotten pretty well versed about television in the past few days :loco:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I take my RGB for my arcade monitor right off the CXA chip....

I use the RGB output pins and the Sync input pin......

I don't know if you need to add caps or resistors to put it on scart....

2point0

NEST Puppet
Big Shady said:
I'm not looking to S-video mod my system, the NEO GEO can naturally support RGB. I just have to make an RGB cable. I am now looking forward to this project and I'll get a picture documentray once I get it done. :)

There is actually an rgb mod that is separate from the s-video mod.

Although the neo geo does output rgb, the quality of the RGB output varies between home cart systems and there is a way to clean it up. Your system may not need it as certain serial number are supposed to have better rgb than others. NEOGEOman and others explain more about rgb output on the neo geo here

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21828

http://nfg.2y.net/games/neorgb/

http://nfg.2y.net/games/neorgb2/

In the thread below, specifically in posts #3 and #5, MKL provides instructions and even a schematic for the mod, but I have no idea what it says.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67062&highlight=rgb+mod

Lovecraft0110

Ace Gho,
20 Year Member
Geez, I don't know why you give yourselves so many headaches. If you want the best possible video quality for your Neo (not for next gen crap, mind you) the answer is simple:

BUY A EUROPEAN TV - Scart rgb out of the box. No need for adaptors, convertors, custom cables or anything. Can't get better than that.

If there is an online store which carries SCART RGB TV's (Great idea, Galfordo) then you should be all over it, I say.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
BAH! Damn tired of those Sony's.

If you want real cool TV, and you have the cash, those guys might help you :

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/sw172.asp

I think they sell those TV's with the same equipment in every country.
They are so damn good you don't even get interferences with mobile phones.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
If you're in the US and think that by getting a scart TV you'll also get the best picture possible from your AES... well, think again. The latest 3 consoles I've received from my fellow Italian countrymen for RGB modding had serials ranging from 160xxx to 215xxx (my own is 177xxx) and the RGB output is always the same horrible line grid that makes you wanna throw heavy objects at your TV: what does it look like? Put a mosquito-net on the screen and you get an idea: unbearable.

The good thing is that all the home systems (including these high serials) can output the same RGB as their arcade counterparts if you know where to tap the signals from (no Norton, it's not from the CXA chip).

Here's my posts where I show (with pics) how to mod both early and later systems (the PCBs are different):

Early AES revisions RGB mod

Later AES revisions RGB mod

As a final note I would like to stress that it's very easy to use an AES in an arcade cabinet: you don't even have to use the console power adapter as the cab PSU outputs the necessary voltages for both early and later systems (5V for the PRO-POW or PRO-POW2, 12V for PRO-POW3). It's very easy to make an AES-to-Jamma interface. Keep this in mind.

Last edited:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
MKL said:
If you're in the US and think that by getting a scart TV you'll also get the best picture possible from your AES... well, think again. The latest 3 consoles I've received from my fellow Italian countrymen for RGB modding had serials ranging from 160xxx to 215xxx (my own is 177xxx) and the RGB output is always the same horrible line grid that makes you wanna throw heavy objects at your TV: what does it look like? Put a mosquito-net on the screen and you get an idea: unbearable.

The good thing is that all the home systems (including these high serials) can output the same RGB as their arcade counterparts if you know where to tap the signals from (no Norton, it's not from the CXA chip).

Here's my posts where I show (with pics) how to mod both early and later systems (the PCBs are different):

Early AES revisions RGB mod

Later AES revisions RGB mod

As a final note I would like to stress that it's very easy to use an AES in an arcade cabinet: you don't even have to use the console power adapter as the cab PSU outputs the necessary voltages for both early and later systems (5V for the PRO-POW or PRO-POW2, 12V for PRO-POW3). It's very easy to make an AES-to-Jamma interface. Keep this in mind.

Thanks for the info, and for setting me straight, MKL. I think I would've had a breakdown if I had gone to all the trouble to get a scart TV and then ended up with a shyte picture. I guess there's no easy way out :).