15 Year Member
I'm trying to locate the items circled below:

Pot Knobs:

And also looking for these black plastic DB15 panel mount connectors:

Also need this PSU conector thing as I will be running an internal PSU:

Last edited:

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
I also would like to know where to get these? Nice thread Xian let me know if someone PM's the information.

danox574

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
For the AC inlet, when I built mine, I simply gutted a bad PC Power Supply and took that part, but I also found them in the Digi-Key catalog. The key to finding them was looking under 'Power Entry Modules' and going to that catalog page, and then you found a slew of them (both fused and non-fused, so you may find the fused one more useful unless you already have an external fuse holder).

I never did find a red/green/blue knob, but later ran across someone mentioning mouser as the source for those unless my memory has failed me.

I've never seen the plastic DB-15 hoods.

-Dan

Logicdustbin

Sieger's Squire
danox574 said:
For the AC inlet, when I built mine, I simply gutted a bad PC Power Supply and took that part

this is what I did, mine also had a nice on/off switch on it as well...

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
The AC inlet you can get at Jameco...I bought the exact same part and installed it in my SG too. That's probably where D-Lite got it too, since we both live less than a mile away from the place.

Not sure where to source the other two things...I'd recommend using RGB Bourns thumb knobs anyway (JROK style) but the colors are nice. You can just ask D-Lite when he comes back from being MIA though.

I have a feeling the plastic D subs might have been taken from a broken MV-1, AES or Neo CD. They are definitely not easy to come by elsewhere. Heck, even I have a broken MV-1 and Neo CD. I can gut them and sell em to you if you get really desperate for the part ;)

-Segasonicfan

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
/me slaps Xian Xi with a large trout

Your parts kung fu is weak. Gets squashed like grape.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/630/1517.pdf

Upper left corner of the page.

Granted, they are black with color accent and not grey with accent, but if you do a search with the part numbers for the grey ones it comes back with "non-stocked" items. So if you want grey, it's a special order if you use Mouser.

RJ

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
Best to unsolder the controller ports off a dead MVS board, thats what I did once. Or dead AES.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sn00t said:
Best to unsolder the controller ports off a dead MVS board, thats what I did once. Or dead AES.

I have 2 broken AES but I always hated the official DB15 hoods as they arent very tight and I always have to reseat the controller if the cord moves too much.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Once again, your Search Fu is weak.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/630/1020.pdf

AMP HDF-20 series connectors (for flat ribbon cable), Mouser part #: 571-1658615-3

That part is the 15 pin DB15 male connector that you crip the wire to the back of. Then take that nice neat looking ribbon cable down to the logic board and solder at will.

The ribbon cable can be had from any floppy or older style IDE cable.

RJ

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thanks a bunch I actually came across those.

What do you call those RCA plugs that you can solder to and then plug them into something? NOT the panel mount ones. I've been searching under RCA male and havent found it yet.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Those are "phono" as in phonograph (you know... record players! They had those kinds of hookups)...

Phone plugs are headphone or microphone plugs. (except for those funny 3 pin XLR type microphone plugs)...

That's how I always remember which one is which.

Mouser has tons of 'em... you can use their cool search feature to narrow it down by several different criteria.

You get the impression I like Mouser? ;) hehehehe - Their warehouse is on the other side of the Dallas Metromess from me. I order stuff by cheap 1st class mail and I get it next day.

RJ

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Back again.

Anyone know where they sell DB15 hoods EXACTLY like the ones used in a NGCD?

It has to be black, DB15, Right angle with the screw holes for securing to the PCB.

Only ones close I could find were the ones I used in my SG but they aren't PCB mount.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Mouser.com

Part #: 152-5615
Datasheet: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-300657.pdf

152-3315
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-300661.pdf

636-182-015-113R531
http://www.norcomp.net/rohspdfs/connectors/18Y/182/182-yyy-113Ryy1.pdf

651-1688081
http://phoenixcon.com/catalog/1688081

523-17EHD-015P-AA000
https://www.amphenolcanada.com/ProductSearch/drawings/AC/17EHD015XXXX00.pdf

There are a few more too... I was being lazy. However, I did include the data sheets so you can see if they are the type and size you want.

RJ

purple

Geese's Thug
well i have 2 of them pcb mount...but they are white...maybe the day i told you is today...pm me if you are interested

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thanks RJ, you never cease to amaze me with your parts-fu.

Do you know if they sell DB15 extension cables that have the same female end of the neo controllers? There is a slight difference from the standard DB15 cables. I noticed that the ones on the Neo have a crimp type socket on each pin so it's pretty snug when you plug them in. Other types I have seen are just the regular cylindrical type female pin sockets.

This is probably the reason why when using standard DB15 cables or some controller adapters that sometimes the buttons dont register due to lack of contact.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
Back again.

Anyone know where they sell DB15 hoods EXACTLY like the ones used in a NGCD?

It has to be black, DB15, Right angle with the screw holes for securing to the PCB.

Only ones close I could find were the ones I used in my SG but they aren't PCB mount.

Aren't the NGCD ports identical to the AES ports? And aren't AES ports longer than normal so that if you replace them with standard PC-mount R/A DB15 they will be too recessed even for the long female part of the official controllers? Think about it...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm not talking about the controller ports, I am talking about the pin sockets on the cables for the controllers.

Here's a quick drawing of what the pin sockets look like on an SNK made cable:

neopinsocketsbn5.jpg

The gray/silver represents the metal inside the female socket.

So you can see that the pin sockets on a neo grab the pin from both the left and right side and basically squeeze the pin, where as non-neo cables have a socket around the pin and depending on pin size, sometimes doesnt make great contact.

Hope that clears it up.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I was replying to post #17, not #20.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
Thanks RJ, you never cease to amaze me with your parts-fu.

Do you know if they sell DB15 extension cables that have the same female end of the neo controllers?

Thanks!

No, unfortunately I don't know that one.

Raymond

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
If you have a True Value hardware store around, they also have an assortment of knobs in their parts section.