Arcade Stick modding - Dualshock 2 confusion

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
So I've given up, I can't find a PS2 stick that I want or is decently priced to save my soul. So I want to hack up a PS2 pad, and toss it in my Femme Fatale stick. If it were just a PCB swap I'd be all set, but I want to keep 360/PC functionality as well. Do I just splice and go, or is there a better way?

UPDATE: See last post.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you don't mind spending some money, you can put in a Cthulhu MC and Imp boards.

The Cthulhu board allows for connections to virtually every major console except for the DC and 360. The Imp board allows you to switch between 360 and PS3 on a single USB cable. You can buy both of them from Lizardlick.

I can give some more details if you like. I've got a PS3 Madcatz stick that I'm installing the Cthulhu in, I'm wiring it to a ethernet jack so I can make cables to go to every console with a RJ45 jack. I'm not doing a 360 dual mod though, since I already have a 360 HRAP.

A padhack would be easier, but a (almost) universal joystick is badass.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I just put disconnects or sometimes a molex in between the buttons/joystick and the pcb. Makes it easy to swap out. Using disconnects makes it easy to attach the gamepad to an arcade cab, though.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wiring.html#MULTIPLE_PCBS

Connect the Ground and Voltage points on both PCBs together, then connect-the-dots with the controls. You'd have two cords coming out of your stick. Don't plug them both in at the same time.

This is real easy with a PCB with nice big solder points.

Well here's hoping that dualshock 2's have big solder points :)

If you don't mind spending some money, you can put in a Cthulhu MC and Imp boards.

The Cthulhu board allows for connections to virtually every major console except for the DC and 360. The Imp board allows you to switch between 360 and PS3 on a single USB cable. You can buy both of them from Lizardlick.

I can give some more details if you like. I've got a PS3 Madcatz stick that I'm installing the Cthulhu in, I'm wiring it to a ethernet jack so I can make cables to go to every console with a RJ45 jack. I'm not doing a 360 dual mod though, since I already have a 360 HRAP.

A padhack would be easier, but a (almost) universal joystick is badass.

Thoughts much appreciated, but since 360 and PS2 are requirements for me, I kinda gotta go the padhack route it seems. Or maybe I'll do up an Imp board on the femme fatale and I'll take my DC stick and wire her up PS2 as well... Decisions, decisions..

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
So, I couldn't find a PS1 controller, and broke open a dualshock 2. The buttons and such are on a weird film... Not at all just a PCB... What do I do?

I have the Dualshock 2 "H". It's marked "avoid".... Anyone have a decent picture or something to go off of?

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
If I remember correctly (and I might not! So please check), you need to scrape away some of the film to expose the contacts, and then solder to that.

I hear it's a big pain in the ass, hence why it's easier to just use a more suitable controller, if you can.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
If I remember correctly (and I might not! So please check), you need to scrape away some of the film to expose the contacts, and then solder to that.

I hear it's a big pain in the ass, hence why it's easier to just use a more suitable controller, if you can.

I *finally* found an image online of a modded H series, and apparently you solder to the point where the ribbon cable connector is soldered to the PCB T_T. No wonder they say avoid... I'll be finding a new controller I guess.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The cheaper/crappier/chintzier/flimsier/third partier, the better.

My current favorite pads to padhack are these $5 USB pads they sell at Microcenter, they weigh almost nothing and are uncomfortable and they'd probably break if you squeezed them too hard, but they are great for dualmodding a stick for PS3/USB. Big, easy pads to solder to.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I agree a USB pad would be better and way simpler and adding disconnects would make it even better, when not using it in the cab it would be best to disconnect it.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I agree a USB pad would be better and way simpler and adding disconnects would make it even better, when not using it in the cab it would be best to disconnect it.

Huh?

I have a USB stick, issue is I want to use it on my PS2. :) Have to go buy a super cheap-o PS1/2 controller first though, as the dualshock2 H series is a toughie.. :(

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
LOL, I'm medicated right now.

Use a PS1 pad instead of PS2.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's an early PS1 it's better as the dualshocks are different.

defor

Geese's Thug
what about the Toodles Cthulhu for Multi-Console pcb? it looks to me that'd be the best way to go out there for just about any more modern stick project... no?

making suggestion, but also looking for what people think (mainly where psx/ps3-usb is concerned) for a project of my own...

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
what about the Toodles Cthulhu for Multi-Console pcb? it looks to me that'd be the best way to go out there for just about any more modern stick project... no?

making suggestion, but also looking for what people think (mainly where psx/ps3-usb is concerned) for a project of my own...

Cthulhu might work for you, but it doesn't support 360, and that's what my stick is currently. I'm adding PS2 functionality to my 360 stick.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
A Cthulhu will do that though, they're not just for adding ps3 to a stick...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Odd, GohanX had mentioned earlier they don't do 360.

The Cthulhu board itself doesn't do 360, but if your original stick is a 360 stick already you can dual mod it. Your original 360 PCB will handle the 360 stuff, the Cthulhu board will handle the PS2 (and anything else you want, if you set it up for multi system.)

Off topic: I just got my Cthulhu in the mail! But I didn't get my cables and stuff from Monoprice yet, so no stick hacking for me today.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
The Cthulhu board itself doesn't do 360, but if your original stick is a 360 stick already you can dual mod it. Your original 360 PCB will handle the 360 stuff, the Cthulhu board will handle the PS2 (and anything else you want, if you set it up for multi system.)

Off topic: I just got my Cthulhu in the mail! But I didn't get my cables and stuff from Monoprice yet, so no stick hacking for me today.

But then a pad-hack is the exact same thing... I'm just spending money I don't need to spend to buy a Cthulhu board if I'm just doing 360/PS2. I see how those who want a stick for everything really make out well on that path, but it's not for me :(.

Grats on the Cthulhu! :) Damn monoprice!