Joining PC master race: help a console noob

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
So I'm building my own gaming pc. I got all the info from a website that constantly updates info, so it was pretty fool proof to order all the correct hardware.

So now, what does a noob like me do after I get it up and running? I'll be using Windows 10 (PS, must I purchase it, or can I just skip the "get a key later" and never pay for it without issues??). What is next? Steam is obviously the place to go. Do I have to install Steam? Seriously don't laugh. What does installing Steam do as opposed to me just going there and getting games from time to time?

Also, I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about getting a Rift. Does the Rift store and Steam store play nice?

I'm not even sure what else to ask. Help out a noob, please.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Steam has to be installed, it's basically a DRM launcher of sorts. Rift is the competitor to Vive, so, it has it's own install like Steam. Most VR games are fine with Rift, EXCEPT Bethesda games, becuase you know, they sued Oculus over stolen concepts or whatever.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
So I'm building my own gaming pc. I got all the info from a website that constantly updates info, so it was pretty fool proof to order all the correct hardware.

So now, what does a noob like me do after I get it up and running? I'll be using Windows 10 (PS, must I purchase it, or can I just skip the "get a key later" and never pay for it without issues??). What is next? Steam is obviously the place to go. Do I have to install Steam? Seriously don't laugh. What does installing Steam do as opposed to me just going there and getting games from time to time?

Steam doesn't let you download installers directly. You have to install their client; it manages installation/patches for you.

If you're not the type who needs every game the day it comes out, consider the Humble Bundle. They do a monthly bundle for $12 (less if you subscribe) that often has one older AAA title combined with a bunch of old-ish indies. They give you Steam keys to install the games.

I'd also recommend checking out Good Old Games, which is a bit of a misnomer because they now carry many new releases as well. Good place to pick up old games for cheap, though.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Also, I recommend holding off on the Rift. An updated Vive is expected literally within the next few days.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
giphy.gif

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
But will spike reveal what's in the machine that he's building?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Regarding Win10 you can use the MStoolkit program on a legit ISO from MS for testing purposes of course.

I built a machine a few months ago and choosing an m.2 pcie ssd as my primary drive was a good choice. Faster than the sata3 ssd by a mile.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Regarding Win10 you can use the MStoolkit program on a legit ISO from MS for testing purposes of course.

I built a machine a few months ago and choosing an m.2 pcie ssd as my primary drive was a good choice. Faster than the sata3 ssd by a mile.

So when I install that, what must I do in bios that's different? Certainly turn it off of SATA. What else? What's this RAID thing?

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
pcgamehaven.com/ultimate-4k-gaming-pc-build-for-2000/

I'm doing this with no hdd and a bigger m.2

cool!

of note- you will run out of hdd space fast if you dont want to keep on uninstalling and reinstalling stuff.

pick up a seagate barracuda 4tb for game storage. (its about $100) and it rules. also of note- maybe look at the noctua coolers? they do a phenomenal job and are super quiet.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
So when I install that, what must I do in bios that's different? Certainly turn it off of SATA. What else? What's this RAID thing?

Just use KMSPico for Windows 10 (and Office).

RAID is a method for connecting multiple HDDs together to prevent data loss. There are a lot of different RAID formats though with different uses though.

Like cdamm said, I would definitely suggest having a big mechanical hdd to store data. Even a 1TB SSD is eventually gonna run low on space if you're playing modern games.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Just use KMSPico for Windows 10 (and Office).

RAID is a method for connecting multiple HDDs together to prevent data loss. There are a lot of different RAID formats though with different uses though.

Like cdamm said, I would definitely suggest having a big mechanical hdd to store data. Even a 1TB SSD is eventually gonna run low on space if you're playing modern games.

my initial system had a 250gb ssd and a 1tb mechanical drive. less than a year later i added the 4tb barracuda as a third drive. you think its more space than you actually have.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
you can a legit windows 10 key for $20 or so, stop being such jews.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
well the code is legit. the way of getting it isnt.

If it's from Play-Asia I can say I've tried it and they do not work, I had them give me 7 replacement keys and nada.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I recommend just getting a legit copy of Windows 10. Yea, you could probably find it without paying but Its your Operating System, I just wouldn't want to deal with issues later on.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If it's from Play-Asia I can say I've tried it and they do not work, I had them give me 7 replacement keys and nada.

Those codes are notorious for not activating through Windows 10. You need to call Microsoft's activation line and have them activate it that way. The only draw back is that the license is non transferable.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
I recommend just getting a legit copy of Windows 10. Yea, you could probably find it without paying but Its your Operating System, I just wouldn't want to deal with issues later on.

I've never understood how people can spend thousands building a gaming rig and hundreds (maybe thousands over time) on games, but somehow convince themselves that MS doesn't deserve to get paid for Windows. (Not meant as a shot against you, Spike. Literally almost everyone thinks this way.)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I've never understood how people can spend thousands building a gaming rig and hundreds (maybe thousands over time) on games, but somehow convince themselves that MS doesn't deserve to get paid for Windows. (Not meant as a shot against you, Spike. Literally almost everyone thinks this way.)

I don't feel I should pay full retail, which I don't, for an OS that data mines and spies on your ass. Go on ebay and buy a key for 10 bucks. I've bought like 30 keys and never had an issue with activation.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
downloaded media creation tool, burned the dvd, installed and entered my key, worked perfectly.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
I don't feel I should pay full retail, which I don't, for an OS that data mines and spies on your ass. Go on ebay and buy a key for 10 bucks. I've bought like 30 keys and never had an issue with activation.

The point is that you paid for it. $10 is worth it just to make the notification go away. Some spend hours researching how to crack Windows instead, which unless you make minimum wage and your time is worth next to nothing, is asinine.