Mv1fzs missing chip?

D_I_O

n00b
So I currently own two boards both with issues but the board in question seems to have crashing issues on a few banana cart games example being kof98, not going to go to deep into that issue as im waiting on a real kof98 to come in to determine if its a banana cart issue not a board problem.

I decided in the mean time to take a look at the board and see if anything was amiss and well it looks like u14 the ls259 motorola chip is unpopulated. Ill be honest these things are a touch over my head so I do not have the slightest clue what it is supposed to do. So my question for all of you is

A: what is this missing chip for
B: Is it normal for this to be unpopulated

All the pictures ive seen of this board have the slot filled so I assume that it's supposed to be there, if so I maybe the cause of my problems? I know its a super cheap part but I'd rather not add something that isnt supposed to be on this board.

Here is a picture of what Im talking about
https://imgur.com/RQHXG2y hopefully one of you guys can help me out on this one. As otherwise the board seems fine and on my copy of MS3 runs flawless.

D_I_O

n00b
Well I guess I will be could I get the long answer, just so I'm better informed in the future

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
I don't know specifically what that chip does for the MVS but it's an 8 bit addressable latch. Most likely it does serial to parallel conversions.