Capcom re-releasing Street Fighter II SNES

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Maybe I'm seeing something that's not there, but:

06-street_fighter_II-snes-noscale.jpg

SPAL-AUZP-0-front.jpg

Is it me or does that board look exactly like the Street Fighter II Alpha pcb on the SNES except with the sides cut off? Something here is odd.. (open the 30th anniversary pic in a different window to see a bigger version)

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Wanted for a second, then realised I already own the game in multiple formats for multiple consoles (which is a completely other issue). WILL FUCKING NOT BUY IT!

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Haha, $100? Yeah this is fucking stupid. Totally marketing to the YouTube shelf queen crowd, with more money than brains. Also you gotta love the warning where it says using the cartridge in your SNES may result in a fire.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I'm a huge Street Fighter fan, and I have no interest.
That's enough. This shit is out of control. If I want to re-live playing this game, I have the original cart lying around somewhere, and if I didn't, I could pick one up for less than $5.
This is just a cash-grab directed at shelf-collectors. Fuck off.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Was capcomreally sitting on that many sfii snes boards after all these years

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Collectards are lining up as we speak.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'm sure fagits and flippers are buying this in the hopes they get one of the random glow in the dark carts. This shit is insane.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Fucking utterly ridiculous.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Whoever owns the Alien vs Predator video game license needs to team up with Capcom and re-release the arcade AVP. That would be a better use of Capcom's time.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
I hope this doesn't sell. It will open the flood gates for more crap like this.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yeah, LRG is horrible. Tomorrow some lame ass youtuber will post a video about this and it will all sell out.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
$100 is insulting even for Iam8bit seeing as how complete copies on ebay go for around $30-40.

Manufacturing stuff is expensive. Getting someone to burn ROMs (no way it's a mask for 6000 units), mold the plastic cases, print and assemble the boards, package everything, etc. could easily get up in that ballpark. Not to mention the actual license - Capcom is used to selling games on disc/digital now, where the marginal cost is next to nothing.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Manufacturing stuff is expensive. Getting someone to burn ROMs (no way it's a mask for 6000 units), mold the plastic cases, print and assemble the boards, package everything, etc. could easily get up in that ballpark. Not to mention the actual license - Capcom is used to selling games on disc/digital now, where the marginal cost is next to nothing.

It's 1 of 2 things:

1) They found a bunch of old stock and decided to repackage it

2) They bought a bunch of the $7 SNES games and put them in new cart shells

Instant profit. I highly doubt they made new pcbs. For SNES it's a little bit more complicated then make a new pcb, there are custom chips on many of these boards.

Last edited:

madman

It's 1 of 2 things:

2) They bought a bunch of the $7 SNES games and put them in new cart shells

Instant profit. I highly doubt they made new pcbs. For SNES it's a little bit more complicated then make a new pcb, there are custom chips on many of these boards.

Unlikely Capcom (or anyone) had thousands of carts laying around. There are plenty of ways to release these games today. Even the Jaguar has new releases on custom PCBs using modern flash chips. I doubt they are burning thousands of EPROMs for this release, I'm guessing they are using flash chips that are readily available.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
For SNES it's a little bit more complicated then make a new pcb, there are custom chips on many of these boards.

One of the Homebrew Channel guys reversed the CIC back in 2010; there's supposedly a PIC implementation floating around free. Aside from that, SF2 is just a plain Mask ROM.

madman

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
More stupid shit to leave on shelves and collect dust.

They should at least use the opportunity to put a couple of extra characters in the game, even a different stage or two...Be lazy, just make the boss characters playable perhaps.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I'm sure it's just a cheap flash chip thrown on a basic board - I doubt the board shown through the transparent shell is what'll ship. Manufacturing cost for the entire package can't be more than a few bucks. Big time collectard $$$ profit for Iam8Bit.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's 1 of 2 things:

That would be my guess, that's how the CPS Changer was born -- though it had no "glow-in-the-dark" qualities to offer.