OG Xbox and modchip questions

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
4B0AB11D-2E2C-4555-996F-9182B8E2D0DC.jpegWell why the hell not and ask here:

Dusted off my old OG Xbox that has an xecuter 2.3b lite chip that wasn’t doing its thing. I went in and noticed it wasn’t seated properly due to some old failing hot glue.

I can get it working but I have to push down on the chip when I power it on. I need a solution to hold it down in place. I’ve tried hot glue but it doesn’t stick well to the pcb and there is some pressure required to keep it in place.

Any new solutions or some other way for me to get this thing stuck in place so I can it all closed up and running again?

I don’t think my wife will tolerate me using it like this much longer:
09CEBABF-F70C-4415-86E5-87A4EBE73A64.jpeg

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
does the glue gun match your panties?

add more hot glue as you hold the chip down.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
does the glue gun match your panties?

add more hot glue as you hold the chip down.

I guess I can be more patient and generous with the glue but the glue comes off the board pretty easy. I guess that’s good for starting over but doesn’t give me confidence that it will hold.

I’ve already put shit back together just to have the damn thing not work.

My panties generally don’t match my glue gun.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
The fact you have to hold it down is most likely due to a cold soldering joint. I would reflow all of the solder points for the modchip.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
It’s a no solder chip. Has pogo pins that sit on the board.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
It’s a no solder chip. Has pogo pins that sit on the board.

Well in that case maybe pad it with something to help push it down when it's all put together. Generous hot glue may do the trick but it will be a pain to troubleshoot. Maybe some antistatic foam would do it?

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
It looks like that mod chip is being held down with a screw as well on the system board. Maybe that was originally tightened to much and its actually pulling the other side of the mod chip board off the system slightly. Just a thought.