DXM appreciation thread

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother
Anybody else here actually like this weird fucking drug? Most people left it behind after high school if they ever even tried using it then, but I've neer managed to fully remove it from my life.

It's got a reputation as being a loser drug for people who aren't cool enough to have a hookup for real drugs, but I just legitimately like the experience and continue to do it once or twice a year even though I'm in my mid-twenties.

Not like I've tried that hard to quit; I just like doing it. I actually did quit for a couple of years when I was about 17, because I'd gotten to where I was doing it once or twice a week and it had just lost all the fun. Did it again eventually, found it fun, and have just practiced moderation ever since.

Been listening to a band who were heavily involved with the drug, so it's been on my mind lately. Planning on doing a heavy fourth plateau trip at the end of the week for old time's sake.

I won't say much about them because I already talked about them in the "What are you listening to?" thread, but here's a link to the album I bought and put on YouTube for other fans to be able to hear without scouring the internet for a copy on sale at a reasonable price.

Also, since this is the Neo Geo forums, I fully expect the oncoming "What are you, retarded?" questions coming my way, and look forward to polite, constructive arguments where I defend my poor life choices.

EDIT: To save anyone unfamiliar with the acronym a trip to google, DXM = dextromethorphan, the active ingredient in over the counter cough syrup, like Robitussin. for example.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Yall gonna make me lose my cool
Up in heya
Up in heya

Yall gonna make me go all out
Up in heya
Up in heya

ssjlance

DMX and DXM might be entirely unrelated, but I'll never pass up an opportunity to share this video of DMX using Google for the first time.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I tried this shit about 3 times back in '09 and to be honest it was pretty good once the nausea went away but far too much work when there's a bong in the kitchen.

ssjlance

I tried this shit about 3 times back in '09 and to be honest it was pretty good once the nausea went away but far too much work when there's a bong in the kitchen.

Yeah, the nausea is awful. Literally every single trip starts with me in the fetal position on the couch, wondering why I do terrible shit like this to myself.

Then I throw up, and all is right with the world again.

"Oh, right, this is why I do it. I remember now."

It's quite possibly the most intense nausea of any drug I've experienced. Fighting off the urge to puke for long enough to absorb all the DXM is a right pain in the ass.

Not the worst drug related nausea over all, though. That goes to the time I did way too much kratom; wasn't quite as intense as the DXM nausea, but it was far worse just because of how long it lasted. DXM, I stop being nauseous when I vomit; kratom had me puking repeatedly for about a day and a half. Any time I tried to move whatsoever, that nausea came back and I'd dry heave until some bile came up, and I'd go back to being as still as humanly possible until the process repeats itself.

That was my own dumbass fault; I didn't know the strength of an extraction someone gave me, googled what would happen if you overdose, and got a response that amounted to "you'll feel kinda pukey and get over it."

So I took like, all of it.

As far as smoking goes, I still go to DXM even though I have a bong right in front of my face right now.

If you ever do go back and give it another shot (not that I'm thinking you will, really), smoke some weed on top of it. Great combination.

But I just always smoke weed, whether I'm doing mushrooms, LSD, DXM, or nothing at all... well, besides the weed, obviously.

I'm pretty sure I could outsmoke Snoop Dogg, and then go straight over to Willie Nelson's house and outsmoke him too.

Nah, not seriously, but I still manage to smoke between a quarter and half ounce per week, and that's when I'm doing my damndest to conserve my pot, so I could probably keep up, at least.

ssjlance

I don’t get it, you just chug cough syrup?

More or less. The active drug in the syrup is dextromethorphan, and it acts as a dissociative in higher doses than you'd use for getting rid of a cough.

It's actually super difficult to make a drug that gets rid of a cough without fucking you up ih the process; that's why it's still legal despite the decades of people like me "abusing" it. It replaced codeine, which is an opiate, and while some weird fucks out there might like to trip on DXM... eh, it's better than having a bunch of people hooked on codeine because they had a nasty cough for a while.

Cough syrup with codeine is what you'll usually hear referred to in hiphop/rap circles; lean, purple drank, etc.

DXM is more like ketamine or PCP... kinda. Not exactly, but it's the same ballpark. Actually depends a bit on your dose; a smaller dose, it's almost like drunk and stoned, do a little more and it gets a little trippy, go further still and eventually you're having out of body experiences and talking to transdimensional alien creatures whenever you close your eyes.

ssjlance

Also, needs to be the right kind; if the syrup has anything besides dextromethorphan, you will almost certainly die.

Unless it's guaifinesin, in which case you'll just be so sick you wish you'd died instead.

tmyk.jpg

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Maybe don't do DXM anymore. That shit is really bad for you.

I did it two times in high school. First time was no big deal felt kinda drunk and just out of it I guess. Second time drank more, went to a friends house which ended up turning into a party. Fucking horrible experience. That shit didn't hit me until right before everyone showed up. Tripped my balls off. Way different than anything I experienced on LSD or mushrooms (which were actually really fun), this trip was NOT fun. Visuals were strange as everything just kinda morphed into the next thing I looked at. Every time I sat still, the room was spinning fast. When I had to take a piss really bad, I couldn't because the room wouldn't stop spinning. I'm sure I was acting weird as fuck at the party, not that I remember interacting with anyone there. The next day I had the worst headache. Fuck that shit, would never do that again. Not sure why anyone would..... Now LSD or mushrooms, those were fun.

ssjlance

Just sad.

I have a hard time taking that seriously from someone named Dr. Shroom.

Nah, seriously, I can't really entirely disagree, so point taken.

Maybe don't do DXM anymore. That shit is really bad for you.

I did it two times in high school. First time was no big deal felt kinda drunk and just out of it I guess. Second time drank more, went to a friends house which ended up turning into a party. Fucking horrible experience. That shit didn't hit me until right before everyone showed up. Tripped my balls off. Way different than anything I experienced on LSD or mushrooms (which were actually really fun), this trip was NOT fun. Visuals were strange as everything just kinda morphed into the next thing I looked at. Every time I sat still, the room was spinning fast. When I had to take a piss really bad, I couldn't because the room wouldn't stop spinning. I'm sure I was acting weird as fuck at the party, not that I remember interacting with anyone there. The next day I had the worst headache. Fuck that shit, would never do that again. Not sure why anyone would..... Now LSD or mushrooms, those were fun.

It definitely can be really bad for you, but I feel like it's pretty safe if you use infrequently and don't go super crazy with your dosage. But, yeah, DXM addicts are particularly odd, as far as addicts go. I feel like I got a bit too close to falling into that myself back in high school, but luckily, it stopped being fun for me when I started using too often, so I just... kinda stopped.

Here's how outright fucking weird DXM addicts are. The photo album at the top of the page is a magazine scan from my own copy of Whump #1 that I forwarded to whoever runs the fan page, featuring an interview with the guy who was super hardcore into chugging 8 oz. of cough syrup every day. Sad, but fascinating.

And, yeah, I could see what you described as being a really bad time. DXM above second plateau is not at all a social drug. Now, when it comes to what you described, but I'm 100% alone in a dark bedroom with music playing... that's pretty fun. Well, maybe fun's the wrong word, but I enjoy myself.

But I've also enjoyed using Benadryl recreationally, so I'm not someone to ask for advice on drugs.

Yeah, also, Benadryl, or diphenhydramine if you prefer chemicals to brand names, is an amazingly potent deliriant hallucinogen, for anyone who didn't know. Kinda like taking datura, but lasts a little under one day instead of three and it probably won't kill you. Datura probably will. Or, at least, too high a chance for me to have ever tried it. Entire reason I ever attempted recreational doses of Benadryl is that it actually mimics the same action as the chemicals found in the datura plant (scopolamine, atropine, etc.), which is blocking transmission of acetylcholine in the brain.

I figure if you're going to do drugs, you should learn about what the drugs actually do before just jumping in and hoping for the best.

Basically, you dream while you're awake and forget that you're on drugs, so it's just really, really dumb. Like, it actually makes chugging cough syrup seem like a reasonable decision to reach. First time I did it, my mom came to check why I was making so much noise in the kitchen and I proceeded to tell her she better get ready because Dick Cheney was coming over for dinner, never mind that it's 3 A.M.

Just for the record... I don't really go after that one anymore. A bit too intense for this point in my life. I love tripping balls, but it's nice to be able to remember that I am tripping balls when I see a spider the size of a coconut crab.

Here's some other stories of people abusing Benadryl, because my stories don't really illustrate just how dumb using this drug recreationally is.

But, yeah, anyway, the "afterglow" people talk about after coming (most of the way) down from DXM pretty much changes to "hangover" once you do enough in a dose, so you can range from unhappy to downright useless the day after.

Though, as you mentioned, the lack of memory of the experience is a bit of a letdown. Shame I can't come back out of it remembering more of what I saw. Interestingly, memories seem to flood back from previous trips when you do it again.

As for LSD and mushrooms, I'd put DXM right between them in my preferences. Mushrooms are my favorite, DXM is a pretty close second, and... I actually don't care for LSD all that much. Like, if it comes around, I'll do it and have a good time. But the second six hours of the trip is just a drag to me. If I'm going to trip, I want to be fully tripping, not in that weird "hafl-tripping" state LSD leaves you in for the last while. But that's just me personally.

Long story short, yeah, I can definitely, 100% see somebody not caring for it after an experience like that. It's sorta like the time I had a friend who tried mushrooms for the first time when he was depressed drinking with friends; they offered to make him a milkshake, he was drunk and basically chugged it, and turns out they'd put mushrooms into his milkshake.

Well, maybe not quite that bad, but... yeah. DXM isn't a social drug.

Also, shout out to your signature. I'm not reallya huge fan of Queens of the Stone Age, but I do love me some Kyuss, and Josh Homme's guitar is a big part of why Kyuss kicked so much ass.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I just feel bad for your daughter having such a loser as her dad.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member

Think of all of the guys who are going to be on the receiving end of her daddy issues in a few years...

Edit: The fact that a couple of you read this as though I was saying it like it's a good thing says more about you than it does about me.

Last edited:

ssjlance

Think of all of the guys who are going to be on the receiving end of her daddy issues in a few years...

Nah, I do drugs and all, but that's about it. I think the kind of issues you're talking about would be neglect or abuse.

I'm guessing it's the kind of girl you have experience dating?

I'd feel bad for yours if I thought you were capable of procreation.

You know, with a willing partner, anyway.

ssjlance

This right here, its how I learned who you really are

Yeah, you know, I'm pretty chill and can pretty easily hang with whatever insults get thrown my way. Half of this forum is built on people ripping each other new orifices over minute differences.

But, that's the first time somebody's actually caught me off guard with what they said. Like, Dr. Shroom calling me a loser, for example? I get that. Makes sense. I might disagree, but I can figure out how he came to that conclusion.

Yodd telling me I have my priorities out of whack as a parent? Again, I'd disagree, but I can figure out what he's sticking together to come to that conclusion.

Why jibbajabba think my two-year-old daughter will be a slut in a few years because I like taking DXM every six months or so... that's a bit of a stretch, if I say it while maintaining civility.

If I put it a little bit more bluntly, that's the kind of comment a particularly stupid, edgy 12-year-old would make.

Last edited:

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
You're supposed to start tripping after drinking an entire 8 oz bottle of cough syrup? I drank an entire bottle during my last cold and nothing happened. Oh wait you just chug it all at once like an idiot, yeah that'd probably do it. Meh, I'd rather just drink an entire bottle of gin

Last edited:

ssjlance

You're supposed to start tripping after drinking an entire 8 oz bottle of cough syrup? I drank an entire bottle during my last cold and nothing happened. Oh wait you just chug it all at once like an idiot, yeah that'd probably do it. Meh, I'd rather just drink an entire bottle of gin

I actually don't like alcohol. Go figure.

I wish alcohol was my drug of choice. That must make life easier.

Also, just for shits and giggles, you can trip off as little as two ounces, four being a fairly common beginner dose.

Drinking 8 oz. at once is a bit much if you aren't familiar.

Last edited:

ssjlance

Aye aye, I remember the guys who used to do this in high school, they were definitely mongo tier.

Yeah, I actually agree with this. Most guys (or girls) I've known to do DXM, or psychedelics like shrooms, LSD, etc. for that matter? Really fucking lame.

It's not 100%, but yeah. Hallucinogens seem to draw a certain type of fuck-up to them. That's not the only type of person drawn to the experience, but... yeah, a pretty fair number of people who get into hallucinogens are just all around shitty and/or boring.

I'm not sure we can get on.

I will have a drink or two socially, but I can't stand just drinking for the effects of alcohol.

I said I don't like it; more accurately, I just drink way too goddamned much if given the opportunity. I can make it work in a bar or something, because I'm also a cheap motherfucker who would have trouble paying $5 for a drink of water in the desert, let alone a watered down cocktail.

If I buy my own bottle of vodka... I'm going to wake up without any more vodka. So I just don't buy it.

Beer is fucking disgusting though, and I'll never understand how anybody enjoys it. I've even tried it with pizza and... it's like, maybe a step above the taste of black coffee? It's pretty shit.

But, to each their own.