is austria the same as germany?

schwarzenegger is austrian, but he speaks german so austria must of been part of germany at one point in time, huh?

kanakura

Fio's Quartermaster
CruelSummer80's said:
schwarzenegger is austrian, but he speaks german so austria must of been part of germany at one point in time, huh?

people from namibia speaks german too... but are they germans???

No, austria is a different country... but with the same language.
In some parts of france, switzerland, italy and belgium people speaking german too... normal for europe ;)

schwarzenegger speaks german but with heavy austian dialect, so everybody now he is from other country...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
CruelSummer80's said:

Germany, Austria (roughly translates to "Eastern Realm") and parts of Switzerland, as well as the Alps region of Italy, share the same Germanian language roots. Except for a short period of 7 years between 1938 and 1945 where Austria was more or less forced to join the Grossdeutsche Reich, the country never was a part of Germany.

However, Austria has another set of language influences, mainly from Hungary, Czechia or Rumania, just think of the duel-monarchy of Austria-Hungary 1867 until the end of WW1 in 1918. Over the course of several centuries, they developed a subset of high German with dozens, if not hundreds of unique words and phrases, as well as slight grammatical differences.

That also goes for the German-speaking part of Switzerland including variants/idioms like Swiss-German (Schwitzerdütsch). Switzerland also has native Italian- and French-speaking populations.

Quite a mess, isn't it... that's why it can't hurt to speak or at least be able to read more than just one language if you live over here.

Sapphire

World Soccer '96
Hey! I came from the same Area like Arnold (South-Styria) And when this Guy speaks German it's often hard for me to understand him !:kekeke:
This Guy has an abnormal dialect!!:loco:

I was just interested in the whole thing because Arnold schwarzenegger is my idol and I work out everyday at the gym to look like him, I always wanted to learn about how he was when he wasn't famous in the old country, plus I am 100% French and learned that France was originally settled by a German clan called the Franks and I thought that maybe since Arnold spoke german we shared the same ancient blood line somehow. I think Arnold had the best look, bodybiulders now days have huge abs that stick out as far as there pecks, they look like crap compared to arnold.

El Capitan said:
Oh my god - have you never seen a map? Or heard of Google.

England and the usa aren't right next door from eachother like germany,and austria, no need to act like a degenerate. I'm guessing you don't act like this in real life or someone would cave your fucking face in.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
ha ha ha...

I really do hate morons - in real life too.

who posts a thread like this one when you could have asked google, or anyone with a brain.

:kekeke: :kekeke: :kekeke:

Tachibana

n00b
CruelSummer80's said:
(...) Arnold schwarzenegger is my idol (...)

Are you serious? Sorry but with your first post I was just surprised, now I'm shocked. Maybe you're seeing only a part of his life but how can a person who's pro death penalty to name only one thing be a young person's idol.

Grab a book about the history of Europe, watch the news more often and start thinking.

That guy he had killed was a scumbag that a started a gang that has killed thousands of inocent people, arnold made the right decision for himself and society.

crazysquirrel

Overtop Pathfinder
CruelSummer80's said:
That guy he had killed was a scumbag that a started a gang that has killed thousands of inocent people, arnold made the right decision for himself and society.

i agree with but that shouldnt mean legal killing is good but if u would be in arnolds position what would u have done? he may lost many voters if he wouldnt done it or lost the trust of many ppl i dont know ... but mostly arnold is no bad guy -.- and it sux that graz(2nd biggest city in austria/closest city to his birthplace (tal)) wanted his ring back which he earned for being a famous austrian and they also renamed our soccer stadium ...
so arnie for president xD

wow, I didn't know that His country betrayed him for making the right decision, I'm not saying legal killing is right but the world is becoming overpopulated and some people deserve to die, like serial killers, people who start gangs that kill thousands of people a year and kill people themselves. Anways, he made predator, terminater 1 and 2, commando, conan the destroyer, barbarian and all those movies kick ass, I will always appreciate him.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I can't understand a fucking word when I hear Austrians speak German. Then again I'm not German and German is one of my 2nd languages and I don't speak it well. Also I get used to hearing the local dialect which is a "Frankish" German dialect and has some similarities to French pronounciation so when I hear a German from another area I can tell right off the bat that they aren't from around here and i have a hard time understanding them sometimes.

Out of all the languages I've learned German is currently the one i speak the best yet its the one I have the most problems with. It has such a long history with so many dialects and wierd idioms.

I've never heard Arnold speak German yet If I did I probably wouldn't know a fucking word he said.

Tachibana

n00b
SPINMASTER X said:
I've never heard Arnold speak German yet If I did I probably wouldn't know a fucking word he said.

It's even more fun to hear him speak English in his early movies. Being used to German dubbing (where they don't use his original voice either I think) the first time I watched Total Recall in English I was really ROFL. Always good for a laugh.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
CruelSummer80's said:
total recall is cool, I can understand everything he says very clearly in english.

thats just awesome man, congratulations.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hasn't Arnold been quoted as saying that He Admires Hitler?

norton9478 said:
Hasn't Arnold been quoted as saying that He Admires Hitler?

Who cares, I like them both, in my opinion they were both very important people.
Schwarzenegger was the greatest bodybuilder, action star of all time. I don't blame Arnold, he always makes the right decision.

Patmaster

New Challenger
CruelSummer80's said:
Who cares, I like them both, in my opinion they were both very important people.
Schwarzenegger was the greatest bodybuilder, action star of all time. I don't blame Arnold, he always makes the right decision.

WTF... You like Adolf Hitler? Are you serious?... :conf:

Are you really think about what you are posting? Man, because of this motherfucker we Germans have to explain in a hundred years why WWII and the whole shit around happens... Take a history book and read what Hitler really has done here... For Arnold, soory man, if he really admires Hitler he is a fucking dumbass... :oh_no:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Now I kinda regret my first post in this thread. "important people", wtf...?!

Patmaster, don't sweat it man, CruelSummer obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

Just look at his War Room topic "Books are gay! MVS>Books GnR>nelly"... should tell you something... :)

No, I was just joking- I don't like Adolf Hitler, of course not. i just think it's kind of ironic that now the germans are the most multiculturalist around, that denazification program really did work, didn't it? I still do admire schwartzenegger, no matter what you guys say, I won't hate him no matter what.

Takumaji said:
Now I kinda regret my first post in this thread. "important people", wtf...?!

Patmaster, don't sweat it man, CruelSummer obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

Just look at his War Room topic "Books are gay! MVS>Books GnR>nelly"... should tell you something... :)

yea, I will be the one smiling when I have shock troopers 2 mvs and $150 left over to spend on beer all summer long, while you are playing the new emenim game drinking turkish coffee lol, funny shit