Phantasy Star II appreciation thread

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You knew it was coming, if you've played this, you know how brutal and rewarding it can be. Discuss memories and gameplay if you're on it right now.

images.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Phantasy Star is easily my favorite RPG series, the original quadrilogy that is of course. It's been a while since I played PS2, but I beat it way back in the day, and it was hard as hell. I got it used too, so i didn't even have the pack-in strategy guide with it, which would've been incredibly helpful.

Have you played the remake on Playstation2? It's pretty good, and has a full English fan translation as well.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
My biggest memories of it are getting lost in the dungeons and constantly going around in circles and the ending. Damn, what an ending. You don't forget an ending like that.

Never played the PS2 version. Is it any good?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
The grind in this game is ridiculous.

I remember seeing pictures for this game in Toys R Us and thought the fight scenes looked cool with the grid in the background. This is NOT a game I would've played back then, tho - I can actually appreciate it now.

I wish the remakes for the first 2 got a US release - I cant be bothered to bootleg PS2 games anymore.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
This is my favorite RPG. Also probably my first. love. love. I've been debating if I want to start a new game or if I should actually sit down and play the first one. Which i've only ever played an hour on (GBA Phantasy Star Collection).

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
my favourite rpg on genesis/megadrive. love the anime/manga art style and the battle animations. it reminds me of the sci fi manga/anime of the 80's. the grinding might get a little tedious, but it's fun to finally earn enough money to buy all the weapon and armour your team needs for that one area. phantasy star 2 is on my list of all the games i want to finish.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Great series, as said, the grind is real but worth it. I do remember a maze like dungeon in 2 that really pissed me off.

3 was absolute shit, but fortunately IV brought the series back and is my favorite rpg.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Great series, as said, the grind is real but worth it. I do remember a maze like dungeon in 2 that really pissed me off.

3 was absolute shit, but fortunately IV brought the series back and is my favorite rpg.

4 is definitely my favourite of the series as well. 3 was a little too ambitious for it's own good, and it didn't help that it was made by an almost completely different team compared to Phantasy Star 2.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I've owned this game forever but never actually sat down to play it. Going to be covering the 1990 Genesis games in an upcoming episode of my show though, so I'm going to have to put some serious time into this one. Was just looking at the box last night, actually.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
This game is a real classic. Forget ff7 and aeris. The grinding is a little out of control. This was the first game where I ever died inthe first random encounter outside of town. If you havent played it yet and have an emu or sd cart setup you should look for he 4x xp and meseta romhack. It takes a ton of tedium out of your play and helps you dig into the story faster.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Is the grinding worse than the first Dragon Warrior on the NES?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Theres also an expanded translation too that adds alot of the missing story elements as well. I'm not sure if that one is rolled into the 4x hack though :(

lions3

Igniz's Servent
does that mod also have faster walking? If so, I need someone to make me a rom cart :D

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/genesis/patches/1404readme.txt

That is the readme for one of the patches you can apply. I also found one for walk speed but I dont know if they both work or if one patch includes everything.

Edit: I went and checked, the ps2 rom i used is called phantasy star 2 modernization. Its 2x xp but they changed stats and weapons around. The version of ps4 is called ps4 easy mode.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I decided to start a new game today. I'm going old school and playing the proper translation rom. No fancy hacks to speed up the game or anything. Let's see if I can finish it. I'm working my way into Shure dungeon right now.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Shure dungeon is complete. Next is Nido. Geez, this game is still brutal.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
http://pscave.com/psg2/download/

Haven't tried yet still need to download, near the end of the first remastered game.
After playing the remaster I don't know if I'll ever play the original again, I think Sega did that good of a job.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I'll just leave these here. <3

OlThExZ.jpg

rvndeMJ.jpg

Do you prefer the drum samples of the JP version, or the softer revised ones in the US release? I rather like the latter.