Need Diablo 1 Grinding Tip

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Is there a secret to grinding in Diablo 1. With the only options being solo, and normal difficulty?

I'm level 26, in Hell, and getting my ass handed to me. Levels 1-23 are basically a total of around 1,000,000 EXP total. Then as soon as you hit that level 24, we are talking around 1/3 of a million EXP needed per level. The grind is real... Enemies in Hell are dropping over 1000 exp, but I have yet to obtain Teleport, so it is VERY SLOW, and tedious. I almost feel like going back to The Caves where I am getting between 80 to a few hundred exp per kill, because the kills are much faster.

In my current state I can not beat the game. I made it to level 16 OK, but get killed by Blood Knights almost instantly.

With exception of maybe 5 skill points, I've dumped every single Skill Point in Dex, Vit, and Str. So basically no magic. I'm a warrior BTW.

All my gear blows... I've been trying to hold the yellow stuff, cause I hear it will never drop again, in hopes of getting some good shit. But it's incredibly rare to get a gear drop over level 11. I see these people online playing, and see their armor class, and DPS is doubling mine, and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how they get those kind of stats, cause my character sucks bad.

Last edited:

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Im playing Diablo 1 too, brother the grind is real. Ive taken a brake from it and im only level 22. Are you playing stock or the HD mod BELZEBUB? I found the hd mod to be easier to play but Im still doubtful im ever going to beat it.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Im playing Diablo 1 too, brother the grind is real. Ive taken a brake from it and im only level 22. Are you playing stock or the HD mod BELZEBUB? I found the hd mod to be easier to play but Im still doubtful im ever going to beat it.

Belzebub...

I'm about to load it up now actually.

What class are you playing?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Does the online (previously Open Bnet) still allow for modified items?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Oh when you said online, you meant the general internet... not in the game.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
What i always did is do a playthrough on the last difficulty i played on. So maybe start a new campaign with your character on nightmare and grind out a few levels.

Edit: So misread what difficulty you were playing on. I think if you go back and kill everything in every floor you should be good to go.

Last edited:

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Im playing as a rogue. There is no playing over the net with Belzebub mod yet. Diablo 1 I think is a grinding game and it suffers because of it. They did a much better job with Diablo 2.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
thought I made some progress. Played literally all day cause my truck is in the shop. Nine hours grinding in Hell, and gained 2 measly levels. Managed to make it to Doomlord Gam'ar, and that's all she wrote. He's a cheating bastard.

I really think I should have played this game in it's prime, but I didn't have a PC back then. Then I could have jumped in some multi and grinded out with some friends and power-leveled. I get the feeling this game wasn't meant to be solo'd the first time playing.

Pretty frustrating really, cause I have dozens and dozens of hourns in at this point. I don;t want to give up, but I also don't want to grind for another 40 fucking hours.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
skill str till you start missing shit, then dex. get stat potions.
get enough int so you can use teleport AND aren't out of mana after one of those. you need that spell for faggot enemies who run away from you, like succubi. look for gear with int stat boni.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Wow that doesn't even look possible. Im with you on the whole multiplayer thing with Diablo 1. By the time I had a good enough pc to run games d2 was out and I played the hell out of that game. Even back then I couldn't get into Diablo 1. When they add multi to the mod then ill try again but seeing that video has just cemented me giving up.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
skill str till you start missing shit, then dex. get stat potions.
get enough int so you can use teleport AND aren't out of mana after one of those. you need that spell for faggot enemies who run away from you, like succubi. look for gear with int stat boni.

I have no problem connecting or killing regular enemies unless they have blue or orange names. And if I can get those ass hats alone I kick their ass too. I'm killing regular Blood Knights in 3 hits now. Two if I Valiant Strike them once.

I can't find teleport.... I've quit out and restarted at least 100 times and that stupid witch never sells it. And Wirt keeps offering me stupid level 6 stuff. Just give me something.... Anything... to give me some AC.

I think I'm just going to back off and just put an hour a few days a week until it happens.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Can't remember. Did the first Diablo have the secret cow level? or was that just the 2nd game? Just thinking it would be an easy grinding area.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Can't remember. Did the first Diablo have the secret cow level? or was that just the 2nd game? Just thinking it would be an easy grinding area.

No. That was a hoax. Theres actually an Waster Egg in I think starcraft where if you put in "there is no cow level" you get swcret stuff

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member

There was a dead cow in the game you could click on and it would explode, but that was it.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Does teleport drop in the Cathedral libraries?

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Was just reading Adria should sell teleport after level 24.
I wish you luck grinding.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Was just reading Adria should sell teleport after level 24.
I wish you luck grinding.

Damn, it must be pretty hard to get her to sell it. I've reset the game so many times trying to get her to sell it. Guess I'll keep trying.

Learned my lesson though, when I start Diablo 2 Im playing online only so I can level faster.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Learned my lesson though, when I start Diablo 2 Im playing online only so I can level faster.

Why would that make a difference? Having other people to kill the monsters for you? You can enable /players 8 in single player on Diablo II.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Why would that make a difference? Having other people to kill the monsters for you? You can enable /players 8 in single player on Diablo II.

I believe there is more enemies when you play online alone or with other people.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Game gets harder the more people are in it. Also applies to Diablo 3.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

It's been a few years since I tried diablo 2, but I believe you can just join a game with your multiplayer character and play whatever stage/difficulty they're on.

If I had that option now, I could grind out on a harder difficulty and level faster on the first stages of the game. Or at least clear mobs faster for less exp with a friend.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Been a long time since I played D1 (played it in its prime online), from what I remember the fighter suffered from being slow to kill enemies and level, but at later stages in the game (Hell difficulty) when enemies start stacking resistance like mad you barely stood a chance as mage.
If I remember correctly the fighters I played with tried to get a Kings Sword of Haste asap, ideally with vampiric (life drain) or if not possible then with mana drain (they used mana shield along with that).