(another) PGM problem - Address Error

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Hi folks,

a couple weeks ago, i managed to repair one of my PGM board with the precious help from the guru, aka Xian Xi :D

But a few weeks before (yup, i'm that lucky) my other PGM also gave me problems, it simply presents an error screen when a game is loaded:

kSPPqX5l.jpg

This was the mobo that i always used and it has several hours of gameplay in my hand and never game me any trouble.

Any hint where i could check for something wrong?

Thanks in advance

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I wish it was that simple...

I gave the slots a good clening and nothing. Just to make sure, i swaped the slots daughter board for a good known one, and still no luck.

It's definitely not the slots.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Do an onboard RAM test. Make sure it isn't the onboard RAM. If they are all good then it's the cart.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Still no luck.

ALL ram test ok. ALL my 6 games give the same problem.

Any more toughts? :(

eathis

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Have you check if the acid of the battery haven't damaged the slot pcb?
That's often what happened with the PGM slots.
The battery dies and the acid flows and damage the pcb and components.

If that's it not sure that you can repair it.
For your next slots you can replace the battery by a CR2032 battery with battery support. No acid in these batteries and that's much more easy to change, nothing to unsolder.

The last PGM slots produced directly got this kind of battery.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Thank you for your reply.

I'm aware of that and yes, there was a bit of damage from acid but no broken traces since the board worked perfectly for many many hours after a good cleaning.

Only after 2 os so years of use this happened and it never worked again, so i think that some IC must have gone bad.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Did you check for corrosion in the board connects? Not the slots but the connectors that connect the 2 boards together for the motherboard. I've seen corrosion in there before.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Yup, and it is very clean, also checked for A LOT of tracks and they all have good continuity.

The only area that got a bit of corrosion is the battery area. Do you think it might be that custom chip nearby? Already tought about giving it a reflow, but i won't mess with an SMD Chip with that "leg pitch", will have to ask help from a skilled friend if i ever decide to try that.

eathis

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Maybe a specific component is dead, this happened some times with no reasons like for Z80 error on MV1F MVS slots.

If your friend is good for this kind of things, ask him to take a look.
You'll never found the error without testing everything.