Reseting MVS on game select

Telerien

n00b
Hello,

I just picked up a game for my Neo Geo MVS 4 slot. I put the game in on its on and it worked perfectly fine, it coined up and everything no problem. However when I sloted the other 3 games I wanted in my line up I found that whenever I would use game select to move through the games when I stopped at the new game it would reset my system.

When the MVS is coined up the system will green screen reset then allow you to coin up and move through the games fine with no resets. I also removed the new game and added a different game and everything was fine. No resets on game select and coin up went fine.
I also pulled another 4 slot board out and tried the games in that and had the same issue.

So I was wondering if anyone has had this issue as well?

I'm running basic Bios
Dedicated 4 slot Neo Geo Cabinet
tried 2 different Boards
Tried a different game rotation and that worked fine.
Tried the game in all for slot and still had the same resets.
Cleaned the slots and the carts

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Re-seat, shuffle the games and clear the backup RAM. It will start working eventually if everything's clean.

Telerien

n00b
Alright. Flipped the dips let it sit at work ram test for 5 to 6 minutes, blew out the slots with canned air and put all 4 cartrages back in. Booted it up Problem game was in slot 2 the first go through and when I game selected into slot 2 I got a reset. So I shut down changed slots and repeated still resets. Last go round tested the coin up and still green screen reset the first time. So no change. Just happens with that one game and I tested it on a different board and got the same problem.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
You might need to do more than just using compressed air to clean your kit. I had reset issues recently on my CMVS (I appreciate its not quite the same scenario), I thought all my carts and the mobo were clean as I used rubbing alcohol and air previously but when I cleaned them again using Deoxit D5 electrical contact cleaner my q-tips came up black, basically use a good contact cleaner and give your games and slots a proper clean. Everything for me works like a charm :)

Telerien

n00b
I'm still a little confused as to why the problem would persist on another 4 slot and only with that one game.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I'm still a little confused as to why the problem would persist on another 4 slot and only with that one game.

Which game is it? 4-slots have issues with some games combinations and with power consumption if the power supply does not supply enough. Newer games have more chips inside, therefore require more power to work fine.

Telerien

n00b
The game is Real bout fatal fury 2.

The games I was running before were street hoops, Metal Slug 3, Aero fighter 2 and Garou(bootleg)

Telerien

n00b
So I finally was able to check the power supply with my multimeter and 5v is reading 5.05 at the power supply and 5.04 coming off the connecter and the 12v is reading 11.68 off the supply and 12.35 off the board.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
So I finally was able to check the power supply with my multimeter and 5v is reading 5.05 at the power supply and 5.04 coming off the connecter and the 12v is reading 11.68 off the supply and 12.35 off the board.

Measure the 5v also at various points on the board! 5.05v at the power connector is probably resulting in less than 5v at various points on the 2 main boards. I've seen 5.0v at the PSU result in 4.7v elsewhere in the system. These 4 slots suck a fair bit of juice and you can get voltage drop on a weak PSU. Might not be related but worth checking after your point about the 5v level.