Sega Saturn Rhea Comprehensive Guide

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
You guys get it here first.

At the other end of the link is a slapped together mess of a Word document with all the info I could find on the Saturn Rhea install and setup. I had a little difficulty finding what I needed on https://gdemu.wordpress.com/, so out of frustration I figured I'd compile/write this up for you guys. It's a work in progress so not everything is there yet. Working with Deunan to see what I'm missing. Hope it helps someone.

*Updated* 02/18/15 0704EST
>removing info concerning FW updates. Received clarification from Deunan about FWs being interchangeable (they aren't). The process stays the same though.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LdJb-maKJBYkY2aFpRZ2pIWTQ/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Greatly appreciated, sir. I'm gonna wait til the solderless ones start shipping before jumping on board. My hands twitch like a crackhead when asked to do anything that requires that level of precision.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Nice work, looks pretty comprehensive. Deunan probably was thinking a little narrow minded with the 'gdemu.wordpress.com' site name :)

Looking forward to the 21pin version of the device!

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Greatly appreciated, sir. I'm gonna wait til the solderless ones start shipping before jumping on board. My hands twitch like a crackhead when asked to do anything that requires that level of precision.

I hear you there and will wait too. The more idiot proof the better for me ;)

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Well the guide makes it pretty idiot proof. I think I could probably let the heroin addicted bitch next door do it while she's high as balls, and have it come out ok.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Well the guide makes it pretty idiot proof. I think I could probably let the heroin addicted bitch next door do it while she's high as balls, and have it come out ok.

What does she charge:keke:

My phone had problems viewing the link so I have to take a look on the computer tbh.

EDIT: I can probably handle that.

I will definitely be directing people to it in the future.

And I did post a link to this thread at pcenginefx;)

Last edited:

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Nice guide, might get a bare secondary Saturn unit just to try this (I'd rather keep mines untouched just in case!).

Is there any model compatibility list where I can check which Saturn model/s should I be looking for?

Thanks!

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
Great write up MM.

Here some additional info ... How to rip a Saturn Image with Discjuggler or convert them from a bin/cue. You can get the free limited version of discjuggler on they're site (it only limited for burning not ripping) . You will need to go into advanced and select these 4 options: scan gaps/indexes | r-w (cd+g) | pq | raw read. For conversion from BIN/CUE , you will need to get daemon-tools lite , mount the image and then use disc juggler with those 4 options to rip to CDI.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Thanks, kahel. I think I'm gonna leave the guide as a stand alone resource for the Rhea though. Most ripping info can be found pretty easily on the Lougle.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Thanks for putting this together! Once I get my hands on the Rhea I'll definitely use this. :)

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Very nifty guide, thank you for sharing! I love the work that's being done on tools like this!

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
cool stuff, have just put my name down for one of these... hope someone puts together a menu app like for the gdemu, makes life a lot easier using that thing

also, i believe if you're on the list now you'll be getting a solderless model (anyone know for sure?)

Last edited:

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
FWIW My shipping details mentioned I'm getting a V3. I *think* it's the solderless one.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Ended up getting Rhea the other day. I got v3.1 of the board, and installed it into my Saturn without any problems. Super easy, practically fool-proof to install.

My Saturn is different from what MidnightMonkey has in his installation document. It's a Model 1 USA console, with the flat metal grate above the motherboard.
LV3LaNC.jpg

One thing I should mention which is not immediately obvious in the guide is that you will need to take the rubber castors off the CD-Drive and install them back onto the pegs the Rhea is sitting on.
jQUpK2A.jpg

These black rubber castors keep the Rhea from wobbling around when the unit is closed-up, and makes it stable from movement.

u8Dtngj.jpg

Now I'm off to get some small capacity SD cards and start working out my games lists. :D :buttrock:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Nice!

I'll get around to one of these I just don't need one atm.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This is great! Awesome contribution. See, you can be useful when you put your mind to it.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Has anyone here successfully converted iso+ape to cdi? When I convert to cdi the Saturn only sees the image as an audio disc. I'm running Disc Juggler 6 and Daemon Tools Lite 5. I'm also decompressing the ape files to wav using Monkey Audio.

Last edited:

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I find the most success with MDS and bin (just put the bin in not the cue, it works!)

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Has anyone here successfully converted iso+ape to cdi? When I convert to cdi the Saturn only sees the image as an audio disc. I'm running Disc Juggler 6 and Daemon Tools Lite 5. I'm also decompressing the ape files to wav using Monkey Audio.

The issue is with Daemon Tools Lite 5. I removed it and install version 4 and my images are converting to cdi just fine now. If anyone needs version 4 shoot me a pm, it was kind of a pain to find.