Informations about PC Engine: is this the best version?

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
Hi guys

i would like to buy the pc engine, the only one missing console in my collection.

I read that the best version is the PC Engine Duo RX, that includes the cd rom, more ram, and can run the 7 games releases for the PC SuperGrafx.

Is this the best version? It is expensive, but if I buy a normal version of PC Engine, than I have to add additional component so...i will spend the same amout of money I think.

Does the Pc Engine Duo RX package include an Arcade Pro card? All the in ebay don't have it but i read that the card is included. Is it necessary for a lot of games?

What do you suggest?

thanks!

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I'm fairly certain only the Supergrafx will play Supergrafx games, but I've never owned a RX. Wasn't the only difference with the RX the 6 button controller? Arcade card is extra. I'd recommend a Duo-R unless you really want a RX.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm fairly certain only the Supergrafx will play Supergrafx games, but I've never owned a RX. Wasn't the only difference with the RX the 6 button controller? Arcade card is extra. I'd recommend a Duo-R unless you really want a RX.

Yes, you would need a Supergrafx to run Supergrafx games. A Supergrafx CD Combo would pretty much run everything.

I recommend the Duo-R (X), unless your really dead set on playing the few Supergrafx games that are even worth playing.

You would need to buy the Arcade card seperate.

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Yes, you would need a Supergrafx to run Supergrafx games. A Supergrafx CD Combo would pretty much run everything.

I recommend the Duo-R (X), unless your really dead set on playing the few Supergrafx games that are even worth playing.

You would need to buy the Arcade card seperate.

Yeah, that's what I run, Supergrafx + CD Rom2, and can say just go with the Duo. I've done it both ways, I don't play the Supergrafx games enough to make it worth the extra cost.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Hi guys

i would like to buy the pc engine, the only one missing console in my collection.

I read that the best version is the PC Engine Duo RX, that includes the cd rom, more ram, and can run the 7 games releases for the PC SuperGrafx.

Is this the best version? It is expensive, but if I buy a normal version of PC Engine, than I have to add additional component so...i will spend the same amout of money I think.

Does the Pc Engine Duo RX package include an Arcade Pro card? All the in ebay don't have it but i read that the card is included. Is it necessary for a lot of games?

What do you suggest?

thanks!

The 5 Supergrafx games are only going to run on a Supergrafx system. It's a different system (16bit) and none of the previous 8 bit PCE can run its games. It's backward compatible though, so it can run regular PCE hucards and CDs with a CD Rom2 or Super CD Rom2 attachment.

There's no system that packs an Arcade Card. You'll need to buy one. The Arcade Card Duo is for the PC Engine Duo/Duo R/Duo RX as well as the Super CD Rom2 attachment. The more expensive Arcade Card Pro is for the OG CD Rom2 setup.

The very best setup that will let you play everything is quite expensive (SuperGrafx + Super CD-Rom2 + Arcade Card). Most people just buy a Duo R (same as RX but without that crappy 6 button controller). Either way, stay away from the OG PC Engine Duo, the caps in them are utter shit.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Ugh... best not suggest anything... but maybe you should wait a few weeks nubster...

Eerrr.. yeah...

xROTx

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Ugh... best not suggest anything... but maybe you should wait a few weeks nubster...

Eerrr.. yeah...

xROTx

A PCE project???

Start the rumor mill!!!

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
ah really? Oh my god...i need to buy a Super Grafx + PC Engine SUPER CD-ROM2 + INTERFACE UNIT IFU-30...it will cost too much, i can't spend all these money :(
I could buy a PC Engine Duo RX ( i found a modded version with RGB output, region free, low pass filter switch and so on: http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBay...eClk=1&secureDesc=0&oversion=YzE5OTNiMDktNA==)

I can't play the 5 super grafx games (if i'm not wrong: 1941, Aldynes, Battle Ace, Ghouls n’ Ghost e Darius Plus) but probably i can play them with some emulators?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
ah really? Oh my god...i need to buy a Super Grafx + PC Engine SUPER CD-ROM2 + INTERFACE UNIT IFU-30...it will cost too much, i can't spend all these money :(
I could buy a PC Engine Duo RX ( i found a modded version with RGB output, region free, low pass filter switch and so on: http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBay...eClk=1&secureDesc=0&oversion=YzE5OTNiMDktNA==)

I can't play the 5 super grafx games (if i'm not wrong: 1941, Aldynes, Battle Ace, Ghouls n’ Ghost e Darius Plus) but probably i can play them with some emulators?

I said... wait...

I won't repeat myself here...

xROTx

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Hammerhead FTW I love mine. 1941, G&G & Aldynes are sweet the only 3 S.G. games worth owning imo but worth the hassle just for those.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

You don't need the interface unit, check FAT$TACKS's picture.

The only Supergrafx exclusive worth playing is Aldynes IMO.

Last edited:

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
Hammerhead FTW I love mine. 1941, G&G & Aldynes are sweet the only 3 S.G. games worth owning imo but worth the hassle just for those.

yes. I have to consider that:
1) Ghouls n’ Ghost: I already have the Super Famicom game, i think that it is better than the Super Grafx porting so i can avoid to play it. Probably it is the same game...?! And there is in addition a MEga Drive version of this game, it is a good version it seems so I can buy that version (but ONLY if it is different from the Super Famicom version)
2) 1941: it's an arcade port, i can play this game in a lot of emulators or collecion released for a lot of console. It isn't necessary to have it for Super Grafx
3) Battle Ace: I don't like this game
4) Darius Plus: it's a better version than the PCE version. I don't really need it
5) Aldynes: yes, i think that this is the only game that i would like to play, but i can't spend (and i don't want spend) a lot of money for only one game, for sure!

I think that the best choice is Duo RX and i can play all the games releases with the only exception of Aldynes (but i can play it with emulators).

Is it necessary to buy the Arcade Pro card? Which are the games that need this card?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
yes. I have to consider that:
1) Ghouls n’ Ghost: I already have the Super Famicom game, i think that it is better than the Super Grafx porting so i can avoid to play it. Probably it is the same game...?! And there is in addition a MEga Drive version of this game, it is a good version it seems so I can buy that version (but ONLY if it is different from the Super Famicom version)
2) 1941: it's an arcade port, i can play this game in a lot of emulators or collecion released for a lot of console. It isn't necessary to have it for Super Grafx
3) Battle Ace: I don't like this game
4) Darius Plus: it's a better version than the PCE version. I don't really need it
5) Aldynes: yes, i think that this is the only game that i would like to play, but i can't spend (and i don't want spend) a lot of money for only one game, for sure!

I think that the best choice is Duo RX and i can play all the games releases with the only exception of Aldynes (but i can play it with emulators).

Is it necessary to buy the Arcade Pro card? Which are the games that need this card?

Ghouls'n Ghosts/Daimakaimura and Super Ghouls'n Ghosts/Cho Makaimura are 2 completely different games.

The Genesis version of Ghouls'n Ghosts is pretty good for what it is and it's nowhere near as expensive as the Supergrafx one.

EDIT: don't buy an Arcade Card Pro if you get a Duo-RX. It won't work. What you need is an Arcade Card Duo. And no, it's not necessary, unless you really want to play Sapphire or some Neo Geo ports.

Last edited:

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
Ghouls'n Ghosts/Daimakaimura and Super Ghouls'n Ghosts/Cho Makaimura are 2 completely different games.

The Genesis version of Ghouls'n Ghosts is pretty good for what it is and it's nowhere near as expensive as the Supergrafx version.

EDIT: don't buy an Arcade Card Pro if you get a Duo-RX. It won't work. What you need is an Arcade Card Duo.

ah ok thanks! I saw the game list that require this card, ok.

Yes the megadrive version is cheaper and in the comparison it seems that it is a good port. So, at last, only Aldynes is missing. This isn't a problem :)

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I just use my Turbo Everdrive in my Supergrafx. Buying those games in the current market makes no sense to me.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
I did not know about this "arcade card" until i looked through this lol

My goal is to just get a DuoR and a Turbo Ever Drive and call it a day. When ever that day comes lol

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I'm pretty sure you can put an image on the everdrive to use it as an arcade card.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I did not know about this "arcade card" until i looked through this lol

My goal is to just get a DuoR and a Turbo Ever Drive and call it a day. When ever that day comes lol

I did that and eventually dubdubdub sold his SuperGrafx w/3 games to me. Best of both.