Sony PVM 14L5 turns off after a few seconds

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
g6pkezG.jpg

TV turned off while playing Sega CD and now it will only turn on for a few seconds with this lovely column of light. I realize this is a long shot, but figured I'd ask if anyone has any easy and safe things I could try on my own. Things I've tried so far to no positive effect:

1. Different power cable
2. Unplugging everything from the back
3. Unplugging both adapter cards
4. Opening the case and looking for obvious loose connections

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about TV hardware so I'm not in a position to start replacing caps or anything like that. Also open to repairmen suggestions in the western Washington. If I can't get this figured out on my own, there's only one local-ish company I can reach out to that still lists CRT repair on their website. Last option would be to ship it to someone or somewhere for repair. I'd hate to have to recycle this guy since it's my only 480p set and the cost to get another one is probably too expensive for my tastes at this point. :(

Much love.

EDIT: In retrospect, the TV was also having brightness issues (i.e. it was pretty dim compared to my other monitors). Maybe a bad tube?

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Same thing happened to my old pvm.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Thanks for the info everyone! Turns out the seller I bought it from is an old Sony technician and is confident he can repair the issue if I send it back to him. I'm going to go that route instead of trying to fuck around with it myself.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Finally got the TV back yesterday in fully working condition. In case anyone reading this hits the same issue, one of the circuit boards needed to be replaced and cost $125 (not including shipping). For reference, the guy who did the repair has his email listed at the end of this article: http://retrorgb.com/bvmtechinterview.html

It would have been a lot faster to get the repair, but FedEx dropped the package hard on the way down to CA and resulted in additional damages. Took a long time to get the claim sorted with FedEx.

xga

n00b
additional damages. Took a long time to get the claim sorted with FedEx.

Damn, that sucks. Were the additional damages cosmetic only (damage to the monitor housing) or internal damage to circuit boards etc?

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Cosmetic. Unfortunately that includes scratches to the screen. They're relatively minor and mostly a non-issue when actually playing a game. Morale of this part of the story is to insure your shit and take good photos while you pack it. I didn't do the second part, but in hindsight it would have helped speed things up.