New Product - Daedalus NeoGeo Converter

DavidG

I'm proud to introduce today a new converter that has been in the works for a very long time: Daedalus!

When I started this project it was to make a working converter but with some restrictions:

- No need for a computer to take updates.
- No need to adjust the timing of the device.
- No need to add on any upgrade boards.
- No need to add 40+ wires.
- No need to add a new power supply.
- No scaling issues.
- Would work for newer condition systems as well as older more worn systems.
- Won't require two people to insert and remove a game.
- No need to buy 3 versions.

My list was quite a challenge and I required over a year to make sure every point was met. I've had a version of every production converter ever made and all were documented, some were upgraded. Only by understanding the issues of the past converters can you really move forward with a new one.

Design:
I went with the Pranslation style converter due to feedback from owners of the top loading converters. Most didn't like a game standing almost two carts high above the system. The top loading designs also add more stress on your system, Phantom-1 owners will know what I mean first hand.

Daedalus was designed to take all of the MVS carts weight off the cart slots and place it on the converters case. The inner converter boards are not forced forward and use new cart slots that push far outside the case.

Cartridge Slots:
Each connector has 120 pins (60 on each side). Each pin is measured in pounds of force. The MVS original cart slots were measured at 1lb of force. The Phantom-1's cart slots were measured at 9lb's of force. While in testing a pair of cart slots with a insertion force of 1lb with a side design would run the risk of the MVS cart slipping out of the converter and hitting your system. We know that 9lb's is far too high so I went with new cart slots that measured 5lb's of force. This allows the MVS cart to stay connected with no worry of it falling out and is much easier to use than the Phantom-1 was.

Compatibility:
Does anyone really test every game before they release a new converter? I'm unable to speak for the other groups but I have personally played every SNK title that doesn't require special hardware on Daedalus - and they work. Examples of special hardware would be the original Irritating Maze which does run 100% but is unplayable as it needs a trackball add-on. The add-on's are not converter related but if the missing hardware is added the games do work. Another example is FastStriker v1.0 - this game does work with Daedalus but requires a new backup ram upgrade board added to your home system before it will start.

The PCB's used in this design were adjusted to have thicker copper layers which helps on all systems to allow the games to work perfectly the first time.

Support:
Every NeoGeo revision as well as all power supplies were tested with all original SNK games. If your home system can run any of the newer home releases you will be able to run this converter just fine. NG Dev Team titles have been tested to work as well as the 150 and 161 multigame carts. Metal Slug X works on all neo revisions.

If you should find any original SNK MVS cart that has trouble with Daedalus you can contact me directly via email or use the tech forum. I've requested from the forum moderators a converter and upgrade forum to use for support.

Limited Edition:
I've set the total production run for this converter to be at 100 only. Each unit comes with a custom printed box, instruction insert and one converter. Each converter has a tamper proof holographic serial number sticker added to the bottom of the cart. It was placed in such a way where it can be seen but will not be hit by the system while in use. This products ID number is 205xx with the first converter leaving with serial number 20501.

Six converters will be ready to ship as of this post. The next set will be ready in the new year.

Artwork:
I would like to extend a very special thanks to Debujin for all his work. I honestly couldn't have done it without your help. Please take the time to visit his gallery at http://debureturns.deviantart.com.

Cost:
The cost of the converter is $395.00 CND. Shipping cost will depend on your area.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Sweet...
I also have every converter made so far, and so I would like to officially sign up as customer number one! I am ready to pay. Please advise. Thanks!

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Looks really sharp. I am really tempted to get one.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
Good work and congratulations for your project. I wonder, what is the reason for producing only 100 copies? I keep seeing that tendency with other Independent neo geo related brews.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nice choice of name. Glad I don't have to keep this a secret anymore. A lot of people will be very pleased. It amazes me that still in 2011 the Neo Geo still gets so much support and new stuff is still coming out for both AES and MVS hardware and software. Nucking Futs yo.

I would buy one but I just spent $6k on my daughter's 1st bday party.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Looks sweet, I'm considering one now. Question...does this require a unibios upgrade to your aes system? I have an unmodded us aes system.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I can't believe you made this. Member of the year right here for sure. I am very tempted to get one since I have every game on MVS, but since I already have a consolized MVS perhaps it's not practical. I will be considering. Hope if your first run goes well you can consider another batch in the future.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Good work and congratulations for your project. I wonder, what is the reason for producing only 100 copies? I keep seeing that tendency with other Independent neo geo related brews.

that way you can charge $400 for it.

its super nice, though.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
Originally Posted by gegrago

that way you can charge $400 for it.

its super nice, though.

Well, that just helps making the Neo an expensive and exclusive system.

Last edited:

DavidG

Looks sweet, I'm considering one now. Question...does this require a unibios upgrade to your aes system? I have an unmodded us aes system.

You don't need a unibios, a stock un-modded system will work just fine.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
David, congrats man! Great job on this, so glad you're doing hardware stuff!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
baller :lolz: kids are so expensive when you want them to be ;)

It's a Filipino custom to have a huge party for your 1st born when they turn 1. Her 2nd bday is not going to be anything special...lol

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
What do you think is the demand for this kind of product? Overproduction is very risky in such a niche hobby.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I think the demand may be a little higher then most may think. 100 sounds about right to me for a production of post-market neogeo related goods. The market is always "International" for such products.

For me personally, I prefer this style of side plugging converter because with other top loading converters, playing my MVS carts on my home system is a major pain in the ass. My entertainment center has to house dozens of game consoles throughout its' shelves and compartments and so space is tight and the height limit on my neogeo home console is a home cart plugged in. So when I have to create a "tower" of an adapter with a cart plugged into it, it does not "clear" the roof of that section and so I have to pull out the entire system and put it on the floor, etc. So I have always just used my pranslation style converter instead. So for me, this particular converter is just perfect.

cr4zymanz0r

Kuroko's Training Dummy
This is awesome......but out of my price range since I just bought a new car to replace my near 2 decade old one. I don't suppose I could receive a large (yet reasonable) discount If I traded my Super MVS Converter 2011 version (latest version, baby blue) could I? :P

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Looks sweet! Personally I have one of the older Super MVS converters for the few titles I decided to get on MVS instead of home cart, but if I was in the market for a new one the Daedalus would be what I'm after.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Good job bro. Wish this was released years ago before I bought my candy cabs and consolized mvs systems, although if it was within my price range I could see picking this up.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
So, $400 for a converter that plays MVS on AES or $600+ for an AES 161 games in 1 or $650 for a slim CMVS...lots of expensive choices!

DavidG

The next run of converters will be in March - if anyone wants one early I have one left available.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
It's a Filipino custom to have a huge party for your 1st born when they turn 1. Her 2nd bday is not going to be anything special...lol

Brah, I thought that was strictly a HI custom to spend that much on the 1st baby luau. I wanted to do something like that for my daughter's 1st birthday, but it's not what my wife wanted to do... I still got to make pancit, though.:drool_2:

Awesome job, DavidG! If I didn't go the CMVS route, I would so get one...hmmm, maybe I still might for future use...