SNK Playmore interview - Part 1

Shawn

snkusa.com
Get an inside look at current day SNK Playmore with Yoshihito Koyama, SNK's most veteran employee (on board since '91). This preliminary thread was opened to gather ideas from the community for specific questions for this event and this polished article is the culmination of those efforts.

Special thanks go to Massimiliano Macri of Italy (Neo-Geo.com forum member massimiliano) who conducted this comprehensive interview with SNKP at their Japan headquarters on December 26th, 2008.

Last edited:

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
1. Awesome article! Great photos as well. I'm glad to hear that they plan to continue supporting the arcade market with new games.

2. Also looking forward to part two.

3. What's up Shawn? Haven't seen you post in ages.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Thanks for the article, and nice to see you as well, Shawn.

sliceypete

Astra Superstar
15 Year Member
wow great article, can't wait for part 2, it left me wanting more:D

Shawn

snkusa.com
I totally agree that those photos were a real treat. I always get a kick out of seeing pics of the NeoGeo SNK HQ building (which is perhaps the ultimate NeoGeo heirloom right?!). It’s also refreshing to see SNKP staying strong and busy with their many ventures.

You know, I've said this before and I'll say it again: Imagine if we could pool our resources together to have SNKP finish Last Blade 3, Magician Lord 2, or Mark of the Wolves 2 but specifically for the NeoGeo. Yet such a project may not be viable without a widescale arcade release though. *ponders* Who knows, perhaps we’ll see these titles revised in the future as official downloads for the PC or on some other platform. As long as SNKP still thrives then anything is possible.

@ Ghost-Dog: Glad to see people staying active while the place has been on auto-pilot. I must admit, we are quite fortunate to have such top notch moderators keeping things in order after all these years, though we do possess a generally mature member base from a gaming perspective.

@ TonK: I received your email and will make a post about your idea in the mod forum. Thanks for your other helpful suggestions as well.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Thank you guys for the article. The pictures and the mention of a brand new overhaul on Metal Slug were great. I do hope they get around to Last Blade 3 as well.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Man, I would love to see a new Metal Slug with animation as good as KOF12's.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hi!

first of all thanks to Shawn, FTL and everybody on neo-geo.com, I tried my best and I'm really happy we did it and we are now enjoying an official document made just for the forum!
I think this board deserve it.

As time passed waiting for the approval, I would say once again that I sent them many questions before taking the interview, and they approved only the ones you find in the article (plus KOFXII-ptII related ones).
This means that unfortunately some straight-question, specially about old neo-stuff (i.e. Kizuna production runs), needs some mail-chit-chat to be "unofficially" answered...but a contact is made so maybe in the future ...who knows.

Anyway, part II is now waiting the all green from PR dept., so I'll keep in touch with them often until we made it too.:multi_co:

P.s.
Btw I apologize for the pictures size, but I'll post here higher resolution ones asap (^_^!)

Dampfwalze

Armored Scrum Object,
20 Year Member
Thank you for the interesting interview and pictures.

Great stuff and I eagerly await part II. :drool_2:

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
By the way, where is Adam Laatz based out of? Does he work in the Esaka office? (and does he have a Neo-Geo.com account?!)

I never would have imagined they'd actually have a foreigner working for them in Japan.

Too bad they didn't have an on-staff native-English speaker in the late 90's - they wouldn't have let Dion and Chris rape their IP's back then.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Massimiliano, Shawn,

thanks a bunch for all the hard work, hats off to you!

SNK(P) - where even the elevators are damn interesting! :D

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I have new hope for the future after reading this intervieuw,i even shed a tear of happiness.Thanks a lot for this.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Nice interview! I can't believe I sold you that rotation coil over at AO, I just didn't click that it was you. (I think) - as soon as I saw the name at the end of the interview I thought to myself, hey hangon I sent something to that guy recently. :)

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Nice interview! I can't believe I sold you that rotation coil over at AO, I just didn't click that it was you. (I think) - as soon as I saw the name at the end of the interview I thought to myself, hey hangon I sent something to that guy recently. :)

Hi Kernow! Yes it's me from AO (^_^!) and I still bless you every time I watch my cab properly rotated, thanks again!