Neo-Geo Deck (Hotel Unit) bios dumped

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hi,

time passed and recently I decided to (finally) clean my Deck Unit, take a look at the pcb and the bios stuff.

As it was a socket type, I decided to dump it, as I was guessing it's afterall still an obscure object, even for those (few) people who actually owns one.

I was right, as the bios actually differs from the others dumped for MAME, so I submitted it and will be probably officially supported on the next version.

Here some screenshot for comparison:

MVS Jap (V1)
jap-V1.png

MVS Jap (V2)
jap-V2.png

MVS Jap (V3)
jap-V3.png

Deck Unit
deck.png

The features are of course the same of other MVS, the differences at a first sight are in the main menu screen, and the missing "Setting up the code number" (the deck unit doesn't support the memcard).

From a production point of view, I think the Deck bios should be placed beetween MAME's "Jap Ver2" and "Jap Ver3" as is the only one dated '93, but with the revision "6" on the upper right corner, logically after the "5" of JapV2.

The most similar bios is probably the "ASIA" (a "6" too) but dated '95 and with the clock feature present on the last JapV3.

asia.png

While RAS (Room Amusement System) is used to identify the Deck too on flyers and the manual, the only detail which makes me wonder is that "Neo-Geo GIT Ver. 1.3" acronym, which is probably referred to the Deck lineup alone:

GIT.png

I'm quite sure the first production run (wooden) was slighty different not only on the chassis.
I suppose mine was actually one of the latest runs, as it have metal chassis and stickers promoting games like Garou Densetsu Special, so it could be interesting to dig on previously made units.

Well, I'm following the MAME update, documenting the Deck pcb with pictures and numeration details, and after everything is done proprerly I think we all can "enjoy" a new NeoGeo bios, saved from oblivion (^_^).

Last edited:

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Good stuff! :) Interesting to see yet another BIOS revision. Does this BIOS enhance Mai's boob sway in any fashion?

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks for sharing this. Interesting to see this rare NG variant. If it's cool, can we see some pics here of this kick ass rig? Thanks!

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
If it's cool, can we see some pics here of this kick ass rig? Thanks!

Sure! Just gimme a couple of days so I can clean and well document the parts, I'll post them right here (^_^).

Btw, it seems that "GIT" is the board codename, as written on the pcb and daughterboards too... nice.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Ok,

pcb cleaned:

pcb.jpg

(yes, the only MVS board *without* a JAMMA connector!)

pcb-no-riser.jpg

the bios, (labeled!)

bios.jpg

probably the most interesting part, the s-video/rgb/stereo daughtercard:

pcb-back.jpg

video connector detail

video.jpg

soon with more pictures! (^_^)

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Great job man.

Folks, here you can see video game history preservation in action! :)

I find the hotel unit very nice but never had the means to get me one, would be cool to fool around with the bios in MAME, hope they will implement it.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
did you get the hotel book with this?

If you talk about the black cover for the MVS flyers presented by NeoBomberman, no.
I think it could be a companion of the wooden (previous) model Jonathan have:
ngdeck.jpg

As seen in many auctions, later metal models usually have only a black&white operator's instructions flyer (that I'm actually waiting from japan, cause the seller didn't shipped it with :blow_top:) but everything could be.

Btw, are you the guy who actually bought that black cover from Jonathan? In case please post pic as well!

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I'm the less expertise in tech stuff here, but nice pics indeed!

Mmmh, coming to think about it... since there's no JAMMA connector, how's the stereo sound output of the thing? This is interesting, may be the one and only true (unmodded) stereo-to-TV NeoGeo 'system'... :)

As for the black instruction book (the one with a leather-type cover), I saw that also with the one and only NeoGeoDeck that I personally came in touch with, that one being a metal type (complete with stickers and stuff). I guess that book was used in room/hotel environement also to present to the customers the MVS art for the cart actually inserted in the system, pretty much as with karaoke/dvd/cableTV room devices. The one I saw, had some kind of pocket for MVS art housing (actually filled with marquees for the MVS carts the system came with).

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I did read years ago that some of them came with metal sticks too , or is that lies.

I know theres at least two versions of the hotel deck.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I'm the less expertise in tech stuff here, but nice pics indeed!

Mmmh, coming to think about it... since there's no JAMMA connector, how's the stereo sound output of the thing? This is interesting, may be the one and only true (unmodded) stereo-to-TV NeoGeo 'system'... :)

Yes it's native, with s-video and rf too.
The stereo is driven by a dedicated (flat/white) connector, near the video round one.
I'll post more pics about the back panel, really rich of connectors expecially for that time.

Shito said:
As for the black instruction book (the one with a leather-type cover), I saw that also with the one and only NeoGeoDeck that I personally came in touch with, that one being a metal type (complete with stickers and stuff). I guess that book was used in room/hotel environement also to present to the customers the MVS art for the cart actually inserted in the system, pretty much as with karaoke/dvd/cableTV room devices. The one I saw, had some kind of pocket for MVS art housing (actually filled with marquees for the MVS carts the system came with).

thansk for confirming the presence of it also on new-type models, it is a "marquee holder+basic instructions" for room guests (this one about the wooden model, see the coin panel which is missing the TV selector):

ngdm-1.jpg

ngdm-2.jpg

I'm actually hunting down it, as it should be considered part of the documentation floating around the Deck, with the black&white operator manual and front stickers too.

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
What's really uber-cool of that 'book' is the official yet unique logo writing imho. :)

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I did read years ago that some of them came with metal sticks too , or is that lies.

I know theres at least two versions of the hotel deck.

I remember a really great thread about th eDeck, made by NeoBomberman, I started my "research" from that.

So with his wooden and my metal, it's possible to document the two models.

About joysticks, I never heard about "metal sticks" but I always saw the grey "pro" with golden logo.

Confronting the bios of the deck, and my production plate ('93, but is a metal later model), it's possible that those kind of joystick were builted for that unit, and not recycled from ngcd stuff (still to be commercialized, later on '94).

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
What's really uber-cool of that 'book' is the official yet unique logo writing imho. :)

yes, the third acronym "RAS" in it's full beauty!

I'm starting to be curious about "GIT", (maybe they changed name to the product!??)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
yes, the third acronym "RAS" in it's full beauty!

I'm starting to be curious about "GIT", (maybe they changed name to the product!??)

Mmmh, don't think so. You would remember some 'internal' codenames such as AEC (controller), AEP (product), NGL (don't know what the L refers to), etc etc etc... ;)

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Mmmh, don't think so. You would remember some 'internal' codenames such as AEC (controller), AEP (product), NGL (don't know what the L refers to), etc etc etc... ;)

yeah, but what still leaves some doubt in me, is the bios screen.
Why bohter placing "Neo-geo GIT ver 1.3" ?

I mean, I don't recall (but I'm old) if does any other console/board place the "internal" codename to the operator eyes?

Of course, this is really "for fun" speculation&chit-chat, way better than watching tv ;)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
yeah, but what still leaves some doubt in me, is the bios screen.
Why bohter placing "Neo-geo GIT ver 1.3" ?

I mean, I don't recall (but I'm old) if does any other console/board place the "internal" codename to the operator eyes?

Dunno really, as I never opened not a single piece of HW, but the AEP tag was super-quickly dropped by SNK, and the IC8 code for memcards, or the cords for RF/Scart cables also are yet to be understood. As for me, I'm still missing the actual meaning even of the NGL code..

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
Nice information Massi, thanks for sharing.

My unit looks quite a bit different to yours, especially the video output board. I didn't have time to open the unit up this morning, but you can see the connectors on the rear of the unit below (see also front coin panel):

ng_hotel.jpg

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Nice information Massi, thanks for sharing.

My unit looks quite a bit different to yours, especially the video output board. I didn't have time to open the unit up this morning, but you can see the connectors on the rear of the unit below (see also front coin panel):

Hi, thanks to you!

No differences, it's the very same unit both coin and rear panel (but did you posted a mirror image?)!
Mine just got a third yellow sticker on the left, under the neo logo and a grey vertical one, near the coin panel but nothing really drastic.
The inside board I posted goes to that back panel, trough cables.
Behind it lies an RF adapter (same sold separately for AES units) does yours looks different?

I'll keep posting pics after closing&cleaning everything (^_^)

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I'm just glad people are starting to call it by its proper name now. Cheers on getting the bios dumped, is there a download of it anywhere yet?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So how do these things work? You just choose what game you want from the ones available and stick it in to the slot and you get to play for x amount of minutes per coin?