Thoughts on going from CRT to LCD in a cab

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Sorry if this is a n00b/stupid thread, but I am wanting some opinions on this subject.

I picked up a good condition Dynamo cab last week. However, the monitor is missing the chassis and the tube has noticeable screen burn. I am wanting to pick up a proper arcade grade LCD monitor and saw a few in the $160 to $200ish range on ebay that goes from 15 - 80 khz. The response time was about 16 ms. All displays on www.displaylag.com that come in at 20 ms and under for gaming monitors are considered "excellent."

With all that stuff said, has anyone been satisfied enough with doing the conversion ? As long as the response time is low enough, is there any problems with motion blur or artifacting ?

Side Note: I think I am mainly going to use it with a NAOMI setup.

Last edited:

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Everything is going to look stretched unless you use a 4:3 monitor. Naomi games will look okay, but everything else won't look that great.

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I played an MVS recently that the owners switched out the original monitor for an LCD and everything just looked bad and stretched. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
The worst part about an lcd will be the introduction of lag into your games and is largely dependant on the monitor you choose. Not all panels are equal in that regard.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
The worst part about an lcd will be the introduction of lag into your games and is largely dependant on the monitor you choose. Not all panels are equal in that regard.

from the first post:

The response time was about 16 ms. All displays on www.displaylag.com that come in at 20 ms and under for gaming monitors are considered "excellent."

he's aware of the lag and has found one that offers "excellent" response time.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
i put in an LCD in a cocktail cab I have. With one of those GBS8220's in it going through a godlike controls scanline generator. I use it for Mahjong, which is perfectly fine on an LCD. That said, I tried to replicate the same setup for other JAMMA stuff and it was AWFUL. The GBS8220's have about a 1 frame lag on them, which makes all but the slowest games unplayable. Forget even trying a shmup. Just terrible.

Does anyone know of a better RGB--->VGA converter than the GBS ones?

fluxcore

Another Striker
Just to be a total pedant, response time on LCD panels is NOT the same as input delay, but is a component of it. It's easy to find panels with response times down to 2ms but there's no way that is the input delay value - which is never reported by manufacturers.

1:1 pixel display monitors can be useful, but at the resolutions we're looking at you'll only get a postage stamp sized screen.

You'll need an RGB->(something your panel will accept) converter, and if you like scanlines (I can't understand how people exist that don't), a scanline generator. For the former, you can go cheap and slightly-nasty with the GBS8220 as mentioned above. There are in the works a few hobbyist projects to create better solutions, but as of yet I don't know of any. There's the oft-mentioned xrgb devices, but I believe they also introduce lag.

But wow, the removal of maintenance burden by using an LCD instead of CRT is like a weight off your back... especially when you have to take the tube to be repaired :DDD

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
This is an out of my ass side comment, but I was having a "What If" moment today. I was wondering if "they" would ever make a curved LCD screen to mimic or recreate some of the form factor of CRTs (replacement arcade monitors in mind)? I know there are differences between CRT and LCD performance. However, as technologies improve... I could imagine something getting somewhat acceptable in performance.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
i put in an LCD in a cocktail cab I have. With one of those GBS8220's in it going through a godlike controls scanline generator. I use it for Mahjong, which is perfectly fine on an LCD. That said, I tried to replicate the same setup for other JAMMA stuff and it was AWFUL. The GBS8220's have about a 1 frame lag on them, which makes all but the slowest games unplayable. Forget even trying a shmup. Just terrible.

Does anyone know of a better RGB--->VGA converter than the GBS ones?
XRGB series.

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
Personally LCD will only go in my cabs the day I can't find CRT's anymore. Think I'm set for life.

Gonzo

n00b
I installed a Samsung computer LCD monitor along with a two slot Mvs that I had laying around in cheap Cab that I picked up. I spent less than $50 for everything. Good enough for my kids and I to have some Metal Slug fun. If I find a cheap CRT I'll install it but for the time being ill survive!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you must do it then make sure you add an SLG to make it at least look like a CRT.