I want to make my own 3P/4P to DB15 adapters for WWF Wrestlefest

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Excuse me if I'm misunderstanding the parts and their names, but I want to make DB15 (Neo Geo) adapters for arcade games with JST connections to use with my supergun for multiplayer sessions. Some games I'm interested in making adapters for are WWF Wrestlefest, New Zero Team, and possibly others, but let me start with WWF Wrestlefest.

Is it as simple as wiring the appropriate DB15 connector to a female 9 pin JST connector such as this one, making sure to wire based on this (the Neo Geo pinout) and this diagram (page 12 of the Wrestlefest manual for the pinout)?

If there's something I'm missing, let me know.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm pretty sure you need JST NH series connectors. But yes, that's all it is. Just keep in mind that if you need 5v supplied to the DB15s, you need to supply it somehow but Neo controllers don't need it, only those converters like USB to DB15 will. Oh and make sure you look at your board itself as some boards used a 9 pin molex while others used 9 pin JST.

JoeAwesome

Thanks, XX. I'm making sure to look at the wiring manuals to see 5v (or 12v) isn't required before attempting these harnesses. Wrestlefest looks like it uses a 9 pin JST, but I'll keep in mind about the molex connections for other boards. Are there any particular db15 male solder type connectors you (or anyone else) use for Neo Geo sticks? It seems because of the shape, some connectors out there aren't perfect unless you plan on modifying the female end of the NG stick, which I don't want to do.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The 5v I'm referring to would only be on the Neo side of the cable to power things you plug into the DB15. The 3P and 4P harnesses will only have the signals and ground.

JoeAwesome

The 5v I'm referring to would only be on the Neo side of the cable to power things you plug into the DB15. The 3P and 4P harnesses will only have the signals and ground.

Ah, ok. I planned on sticking with the NG sticks (as opposed to NG pads or a USB to DB15 device) because as you said, the Neo controllers don't need it.

JoeAwesome

Oh and make sure you look at your board itself as some boards used a 9 pin molex while others used 9 pin JST.

Well, shoot. I thought 9 pin molex was just in a square shape, but I see it can also be lined up in a row. The manual for Wrestlefest says molex connector, so how would I know for sure if it's 9 pin molex or 9 pin JST NH? It seems both get thrown around interchangeably.

Last edited: