Reunited with U.N. Squadron

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
I finally picked up U.N. Squadron again. It was one of my childhood favorites that I think ultimately set my interest and enthusiasm for aircraft that I've had all my life, so it's got a really special place in my heart.

I've only been able to beat it once when I was younger and I'm positive it was only on normal difficulty. It's probably worth it to try and tackle Hard eventually.

Ya know, I actually never even knew about the Arcade version until just recently. I was like, "2 players?! How fucking awesome is that???" But when I found out that you couldn't upgrade aircraft, my excitement really came down a notch. Be nice to have a version that gave the best of both worlds, one can dream.

Either way, I'm going out of town for work next week and when I get home Saturday, I should have the cart as well as all the stuff needed to get my XRGB Mini set up. Really stoked about this weekend. :)

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I finally picked up U.N. Squadron again. It was one of my childhood favorites that I think ultimately set my interest and enthusiasm for aircraft that I've had all my life, so it's got a really special place in my heart.

I've only been able to beat it once when I was younger and I'm positive it was only on normal difficulty. It's probably worth it to try and tackle Hard eventually.

Ya know, I actually never even knew about the Arcade version until just recently. I was like, "2 players?! How fucking awesome is that???" But when I found out that you couldn't upgrade aircraft, my excitement really came down a notch. Be nice to have a version that gave the best of both worlds, one can dream.

Either way, I'm going out of town for work next week and when I get home Saturday, I should have the cart as well as all the stuff needed to get my XRGB Mini set up. Really stoked about this weekend. :)

Which version are you referring too? On the arcade version you level up your aircraft. Was there a different kind of upgrade you were referring too? I vaguely remember playing the snes version and I thought it was the same, level up points and cash used to buy items. I'm guessing that's not correct based off your statement. What's the difference between the two?

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Which version are you referring too? On the arcade version you level up your aircraft. Was there a different kind of upgrade you were referring too? I vaguely remember playing the snes version and I thought it was the same, level up points and cash used to buy items. I'm guessing that's not correct based off your statement. What's the difference between the two?

Nope I have both the Arcade and the SNES versions and they are definitely much different. SNES version has purchasable planes and weapons and the bosses and levels are quite different from the Arcade version. In the arcade version when you pick your pilot you are stuck with the plane that goes with that pilot. for example if you pick Greg you get the A-10 Thunderbolt. In Arcade version you buy your weapons before the missions just like the SNES version but they are Very limited and specific to that plane, you can also purchase shields. Using Greg again for example you can only buy different types of bombs for his plane.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug

I guess I wasn't really clear when I said "upgrade.". I actually meant purchase completely different aircraft.

The pilot you pick essentially just has a special quirk. Mickey can fire off special weapons more quickly I think, Greg's "danger" timing after getting hit is a lot shorter, and Shin is quicker? I don't really know about Shin for sure because I always played with Greg.

They all start out with an F-8E Crusader and then you can purchase an F-5, F-14, A-10, YF-23 (I really wish they mass produced that one for real instead of the F-22) and the Efreet for greater amounts of money respectively. The Efreet could use all purchasable weapons and could have the biggest main cannon. It was still not as quick as the F-14 though.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
I guess I wasn't really clear when I said "upgrade.". I actually meant purchase completely different aircraft.

The pilot you pick essentially just has a special quirk. Mickey can fire off special weapons more quickly I think, Greg's "danger" timing after getting hit is a lot shorter, and Shin is quicker? I don't really know about Shin for sure because I always played with Greg.

They all start out with an F-8E Crusader and then you can purchase an F-5, F-14, A-10, YF-23 (I really wish they mass produced that one for real instead of the F-22) and the Efreet for greater amounts of money respectively. The Efreet could use all purchasable weapons and could have the biggest main cannon. It was still not as quick as the F-14 though.

Yeah your right on except for one thing Shin has the ability to power up his normal shot faster than Mickey and Greg

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
It's a great game, I picked up the CPS1 board recently and love it. Great shooter and not toooooo difficult even though I can still not finish it yet. :(

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Both SNES and Arcade versions are awesome. I got the cps1 board and I play the snes version on a flashcart regularly. I also have a soundtrack cd which is awesome. My cell phone ringtone is one of the boss musics from the arcade version. (boss2)

Some sprites in the arcade version are bigger than the sprites of the snes version, notably some cannons on boss platforms. Music is awesome in different ways on both platforms. 2-player simultaneous gameplay of course is the main pro of the arcade version. Single player exclusive stuff of the snes version includes level selection on overworld map, some short special missions and of course the ability to purchase planes.

Many of the levels are very similar but the arcade has some totally exclusive levels not present on the snes version. Highlight being the excellent level 7 where you rise higher into the air from ground while the music simultaneously gets more up tempo. I get nostalgic shivers from that part every time! Arcade version also features a couple exclusive bosses. Though you could argue snes has a couple as well. (the submarine comes to mind)

Some bullet patterns of bigger enemy aircraft (non boss) are quite different and bosses also seem to fire more stuff on the arcade version. This is probably to avoid slowdown on snes version.

UN squadron has also been ported to a number of home computers... but all of those ports are awful. For example Amiga version feels sluggish and features only one continuously looping music track... and even that is from my least favorite tune and arranged badly.

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
Surprisingly U.N. Squadron is one of those games I actually prefer playing on the SNES. I love the CPS1 arcade game, but the way the snes version is is fantastic.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I was talking to lolifox about this in chat a while back, but I actually prefer a lot of the SNES versions of Capcom games to their arcade counterparts. Most of them aren't better by any objective means, they often have stuff cut out to fit he platform, but they are more fun to play at home for various reasons. Knights of the Round is a great example of this, the SNES game is a better home game while the arcade is a better quarter muncher.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Hands down one of my favorite side-scrollers. Both arcade and SNES versions are fantastic games with cool level designs, music and just the right level of difficulty for me. I can 1cc but not every time ;)

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Great game ruined by giving it a retarded title in the US. Seriously, UN Squadron? The game has absolutely nothing to do with the UN. Area 88 is a much better title but some dumbass localizing the game that didn't know any better had to ruin it for us.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I have another theory.

Capcom had to pay for Area 88 license so that they could use the anime series name in their game in Japan. License only covered release in Japan.
Now, if they wanted to, they could have paid more to use the license globally... but then, Area 88 was almost totally unknown to people outside Japan. Why would they have paid for a global license when there would have been no gain from it?

Indeed. Then they would just rename the game and release it as something, anything else outside Japan. Now. Remember the game was to be released in Europe as well as in USA. (Maybe Australia and elsewhere too) What would be a possible military capable force that has global recognition? United Nations! Well, kind of.

They also did make sequel called US. Navy... but while it was a good game as well, it didnt really light the world in fire, did it now?

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I see your argument but they could have just called it Mercenary Squadron or just about anything that was at least somewhat related to what the game was based on. "UN Squadron" is just cringe worthy.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Surprisingly U.N. Squadron is one of those games I actually prefer playing on the SNES. I love the CPS1 arcade game, but the way the snes version is is fantastic.

It's not surprising. It appears that most people tend to prefer the SNES port.

"UN Squadron" is just cringe worthy.

This seems really extreme.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
(Maybe Australia and elsewhere too)

They were going to call it US FORCES here but Midnight oil threatened to sue them so they changed it back to UN Squadron.

YOU DON'T FUCK WITH THE OILS OR PETER GARRET WILL DANCE LIKE A SPASTIC UNTIL YOU DIEEEEEEEEE

Last edited:

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
i wish i never sold my un squadron. :(

Pick another one back up dude. I paid like $15.

Yeah, the name is probably the worst thing about it. I can remember not liking the name when I was younger because I didn't understand what it was. Now it's a little different because I know how much the UN is bullshit.

But I'm guessing the name came from the fact that the characters are from three different countries working together in the same force. Just a guess.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's not surprising. It appears that most people tend to prefer the SNES port.

That's true, not for me though... this "career" mode sucks and stretches the game in length like an old chewing gum. From a lithe and lissom arcade experience to shovel in money, like experience points in RPGs -- 27 minutes of jet versus 50+ minutes of consolized jet lag? I want a director's cut hack, because the presentation was amazing for '91 and still is.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I appreciate each version for what they are. You are right in that the SNES game is more like a shmup/RPG (which is a rarity) with what is essentially gold and experience and the ability to buy items and upgrades. There is even grinding in the form of destroying the convoys. If you are not a fan of RPGs I can see the SNES version being a let down, but for me I do appreciate this hybrid style.

The Arcade version is much more streamlined than the SNES port and is also an awesome game in it's own right. I really do love both versions and I'm glad they decided to make the port something different, because now we have 2 different games to enjoy as opposed to most arcade ports which are basically just water down versions of the arcade version with almost no reason to play.

My biggest issue with the SNES version is that you can counterstop the game very easily (well, it does take forever, but requires almost no brainpower to achieve).

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up on this gem! I remember seeing the box art for this game years ago in stores, never thought about buying it, but man is it awesome!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah, I prefer AC Un Squadron myself as well.

Well, I remember another arcade gem on the Mega Drive, 16:9 stretched to meet the console folks expectations as to the "length" of a game a/k/a if not, then I'll credit feed myself through in 15 minutes, which is way too $hort... it's Toki. What a damn shame.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Been playing UNS for the last month or so. Got back into the swing and beat it on Normal. Now I'm working on getting through it on Hard, but I keep getting stuck on the infamous ceiling crawler in stage 9.

Just now after another game over, I decided to hop on YouTube and see some strategies. I came across a comment of some dude saying basically, "you're making this harder than it is, look at my channel to see a better way."

So I came across this:

Did anyone know you could go under the ground guns like this?

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Yeah, I used to think that boss was impossible on gamer difficulty until I figured out you can just go under the flame turrets.

Last edited: