Your opinion on "same character vs. same character" fights

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
1. Do you like them or not? Why or why not?

2. Do you firmly believe that these kind of fights prove who's the better player? (at least for that specific character)

3. Misc. thoughts on same vs. same character fights go here

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I honestly don't like same character versus fights, but I have to deal with them alot when I play against people because whenever I go on a hot streat, my friends like to choose the character I'm using to try my shit against me.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
yes ............. especially Iori in KOF.

if you want to play/watch the best rounds, try Iori vs Iori

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Normally I don't like mirror matches, but there's one setting I love, I call it "Boxing 98", and it's a mirror fight of two Heavy-D!'s with different costumes and, most important, EX mode.

A Goro mirror match is also nice.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
If it would be against another fellow I would like it, but against the CPU I think it is a major letdown. Basically because it is like saying, “it was so hard for us to design another or some more additional characters”. If the game pretends to have a storyline how could you fight against yourself? This is so weird.

However some games create some stories or some arguments for your twin character, then is quite ok and even fun. What I do not like is when the twin character is used to avoid creating an additional character.

If, for instance, in a KOF there are supposed to be 8 matches, and there are 10 teams, I think it is very disappointing that one match should be against your teams.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
When I'm playing Kyo against Kyo, there is almost always a 50/50 chance that I can win or lose against him, because the CPU is super good at reactions and counters. So, I like it, gives one a challenge.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Mirror matches are one of my least favorite aspects of fighters.

If anyghing pisses me off more than playing a game like, oh, SF III and having players join in and use Ryu/Ken everytime, it'd have to be watching mirror matches; especially if they involve those two said characters. oh_no

I guess the rest of the characters are just there for beating up on.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Versus a Human I love it. Versus the CPU not.

I guess this should be an option we could enable disable in any fighter game options except for Mortal Kombats, where mirror matches are part of the storyline. wink

Priest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I HATE CPU same characterers, expecially in games witha story, when you fight youself, it makes it fake.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I think they're good for going against human competition. You can see who's the overall better player after a bunch of matches. However, I think it's cool in games like Breakers where if you're going against the CPU that's playing the same character they at least have a different name. Take for instance, Sho's mirror match opponent is named Jin. Kinda makes it more interesting than "Sho vs Sho", I think.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
EvilWasabi:
I honestly don't like same character versus fights, but I have to deal with them alot when I play against people because whenever I go on a hot streat, my friends like to choose the character I'm using to try my shit against me.
plus its not too realistic..... unless you have a character that is the same as you... except its evil... or its a some sort-of version other than your original self :)

†B†V†

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
I think mirror matches should be made illegal it just does not seem right fighting against yourself thats how I see it anyway.........

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Mirror matches are the best! Playing in the arcade you can learn new strategies with your character by playing people who are better than you. Plus you have the advantage of knowing what that character can do, no suprises (most of the time.)

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
It sucks in the context Wasabi put it, but if it's just your best character or one you play a lot, and is the same for the other person then that's different.