Your greatest accomplishment, your biggest weakness

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Alright a little back story here. I just recently got into shooters. Back in the day I tried Gradius for the NES and despised it. Ever since passing on shooters and never giving them much thought.

Recently, I ran across Fast Striker. I love that game to a fault. I put a lot of time in. Right now, I'm #2 on the internet ranking for original mode, all without even finishing the game. Now I can 1cc original. But that along with my score is the best I've done.

Other shooters, I suck bad.
Blazing Star: On a good day can get to level 4 without dying. A good day.

Twinkle Star: I cannot 1 cc. Dead at level 7

Ghost Pilots: Can sometimes beat level 1 on 1 credit (not life, credit).

Gunbird 2 (DC): Yeah, I can finally 1cc level 2. This is called, "child" difficulty rofl! Bumping it up to level 3 (there are 7 total), I don't even come close.

Pulstar: don't ask...

So yeah. It sucks to really like shooters now but be terrible at them, save for FS. Of course, I think any other normal person that put the amount of time in that I did could do the same. I've no natural talent.

I do have Radilgy for DC on order. Maybe I can renew my confidence with that, but who knows.

So, where do some of you folks stand on shooters?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
prolly the only genre play on the regular.... ive given up on RPGs and other time stealing games. I could go on and on about how I liked this shmup or this one. but all in all? even if its bad ill give it a whirl

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I've only played 3 non-shmups over the course of 3-4 years.
(They were Osmos, Sword and Sworcery, and Child of Eden).

My greatest accomplishment would probably be ESPGaluda2 1CC on 360.
Also, before I sold my PS2 setup I had my scoreboard on ESPGaluda entirely full of All-clears.
Being able to get to Black Heart Mk2 in Garegga always feels like a huge accomplishment, even when I game-over against him. I haven't reached a letter score yet, but when I do, that'll be huge.

My weakness: Anything Psikyo, they are just brutal! Only 1-All I've managed was Gunbird and that took serious work for me.
I also suck at most old school horis, R-Type, Gradius, etc.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I love the shmups, but they don't love me. I've seen people say Zero Gunner 2 is easy, I'm also like Malignantpoodle, anything past child just destroys me, I've never 1 cc'd anything, but I enjoy the hell out of em, and keep coming back for more, I have never once tried to play for score, I only go for survival, because I suck.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I love the shmups, but they don't love me. I've seen people say Zero Gunner 2 is easy, I'm also like Malignantpoodle, anything past child just destroys me, I've never 1 cc'd anything, but I enjoy the hell out of em, and keep coming back for more, I have never once tried to play for score, I only go for survival, because I suck.

i try to approach shmups with a puzzle mentality, most are linking things together and memorization, steady focus is key :D

sp3ctr3

Mr. Big's Thug
My greatest STG accomplishment has to be 1LC on Strikers 1945. Got that back in 2006 and hasn't played it since. A couple of days ago I got my first Cave game 1cc. Played Deathsmiles all saturday and managed to 1cc it in the end.
Next up is DDP Resurrection on XBOX 360 and good old DoDonPachi PCB. Plan to 1cc both this year.

My weakness has to be classic/older horizontal shooters. My brain can't comprehend dodging bullets in those. Oh, and crashing into "the scenery" ...

VGCMax

n00b
Hmm, okay here goes...

GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENTS - Completed Lords of Thunder(duo) on hard difficulty with one man. Used the game breaking -earth armor- though. Having said that, not sure if this is much of an accomplishment but I'm proud of it. ;) I've also 1CC'd Raiden DX's (PSX) 'training' and 'normal' courses on normal. Probably one of my most proudest moments in gaming. I worked so hard to do that.

BIGGEST WEAKNESS Battle Garrega (Sat), no matter how hard I try, how many super play videos I watch, I simply cannot 1CC this. I get about as far as stage 6, sometimes 7 on one credit.