Yakuza (Series)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I've always basically considered them to be like Asian action movies, which, f'ing Christ, you don't watch in English unless you want Jeebus to smite your nuts in the night. But this, man, it's bad. Yong doesn't have even a smidgeon of dialect like he did for that shit DLC in the other one.

It's laughably bad and reviews are going to be savage re: him. Game will be good don't get me wrong but Sega's dumbass English stuntcasting is going to backfire.

edit: Fuck do not read reddit for any reason. I like to think that I narrowly missed liking that shit due to being the very end of Gen X but sometimes I give in and regret it. Yong sucks, end of story. Can't even watch the trash on his channel anymore without being irritated. Seems like most of the world agrees but bothering with any or all discourse on the matter is an exercise in wanting to kill yourself.

Fuck Sega for this utterly stupid choice, fuck YY in general for sucking and for his petulant behavior (he posts shit and then blocks people who don't like it, TF is he George Santos?) and I hate to say it, but fuck this game. Gonna be harder to enjoy it than it should be.

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member

I looked up some of Yong's other VA worked after hearing this nightmare and most of it is sounded fine to me.

This is just a horribly bad casting choice that absolutely ruins Kiryu, but as others have said that playing these games in English is a weird-ass choice to begin with.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

I looked up some of Yong's other VA worked after hearing this nightmare and most of it is sounded fine to me.

This is just a horribly bad casting choice that absolutely ruins Kiryu, but as others have said that playing these games in English is a weird-ass choice to begin with.
I had that same reaction- I had heard his VA for the DLC in Lost Judgment and it didn't bother me at all. It fit the character (even at the end when he hulks up for the boss fight) fine and it also sounded, to my untrained ear at least, that Yong was putting a decent amount of effort into it. His anime work seems alright too. But man, that Kiryu, no bueno.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I finished Infinite Wealth a few weeks ago. Took me right around 60 hours for a NG playthrough, so definitely the longest game in the series. Overall, it was very good, but with some caveats. Played it with Japanese VO and English subtitles as I'm not a masochist.

Anyway, few items to note:
-Combat system is just incredibly fun. There aren't a whole lot of RPGs that could force me to grind for this many hours but not mind.
-Characters and interactions are done very well. You end up with 10 characters across two parties, and you're gonna care about all of them. I did every single interaction, every link, worth every bit of time spent.
-There's a lot of grinding. Of that 60-hour playthrough, I'd guess 15 or so was grinding in the two dungeons to get my parties up to par to do the main story missions. Some strange balance also, one mission would be dead-on for recommended level and then the next one I'd get annihilated unless I leveled up to 3-4 above the recommendation. Luckily the grinding wasn't too bad, see above.
-The main story was kinda weak IMO. I very much enjoyed seeing the fates of individual characters especially in Kiryu's portion but then getting back to the overarching plot and finishing that up was boring by comparison. Stretched too thin.
-(bizarre item here please indulge me) In the Japanese VO, Bryce's voice actor was just a terrible choice. Bryce is required to speak English for a handful of pivotal scenes, and the VA could barely do it. Zero feeling to his English lines, most of which are meant to emphasize how terrible he really is, but the VA sounds like he's reciting from a text he literally doesn't understand. Just weird and easily the second-worst VA casting RGG managed here.
-WTF with the decision from Sega to make NG+ paywalled? Loved the game but no, I'm not giving you $20 extra to skip a bunch of cutscenes and run more dungeons for a couple more achievements. Bad.
-and, finally, I hate to say this, but kind of following up on the story not being all that good, the ending doesn't really fit the ENTIRE REST OF THE SERIES. Kiryu spent like, 8 games trying to hide his identity in order to also hide all of the orphans but in this he kinda Iron Mans it up at the end? Eeesh.

So yeah. Game is incredibly fun to play, excellent mechanics and moment-to-moment writing and then it has BS monetization, a retarded final boss, and a WTF send-off for Kiryu. It's worth playing for sure but be prepared to be irritated by the story at the end IMO.