Workstation/Desk

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
So i finally decided to go do the whole 3 monitor setup. My third monitor is arriving tomorrow & will be hooking them all up to a fixed triple monitor stand.

I have an old tempered glass desk that i probably had for at least 10 years.

Its time for an upgrade & was thinking of just making my own desk from Ikea or Homedepot. Have any of you guys have experience, any recommended sites? Pics would be nice, trying to an L shape desk.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Get a nice table and a rolling set of drawers. It's much more versatile than a desk.
This might be tricky if you are going with a contemporary glass desk, but i like it much more than an actual desk.

I'd be interested in which triple mount you are using. I started looking at those recently.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
u can get high quality finish pine or maple from home depot just hand pick the best boards, a few non treated 4x4 studs, 2" - 3" deck screws (hex bit) and couple steel angles and a clear stain is all you need to build a quality desk or pretty much anykind of furniture.

Did this for a Queen size bed, night table, work desk and turntable coffin and they come out great. if you figure out all the dimensions before-hand the wood section guys will cut it for you too

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
This sounds aweseome. I wish I had the money to build a badass bench.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, I'd have to agree on the table/rolling drawer combo. Pre-built / IKEA desks tend to be unwieldy, inflexible and expensive. With a table, you have a lot more options re: size + shape so you can get buy based around your needs and move it in to whatever position / space you have available.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I use what I guess Ikea calls a desk, it's just a piece of wood (what Ikea calls wood), metal frame around the underside and 4 adjustable legs. Next to it I have a filing cabinet. I found most "desks" were too small for what I need since I work out of home and need a bunch of equipment on my desk. So I guess I second the table and rolling drawers comment, I've got my printer on top of the drawers.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Get a nice table and a rolling set of drawers. It's much more versatile than a desk.
This might be tricky if you are going with a contemporary glass desk, but i like it much more than an actual desk.

I'd be interested in which triple mount you are using. I started looking at those recently.

Yeah i ended up getting this one at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JG9RQ2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00 Its ok but its a bit bulky. I should have just went with a non fixed mount but with my current glass desk, it was not recommended. Its well built & can handle my 3 23" monitors but i did have a hard time lining it all up. I tried it for about an hour & i just gave up. Cant wait for the weekend to finally try out this whole 3 monitor gaming.

This is my current desk w/ the triple monitor. My plan is to get a desk all the way across & then another longer desk across the window.
20151216_132455_zpsgvlr1zuv.jpg

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I was using 3 monitors, but replaced them recently with a 43" 4k screen. I found myself grabbing one of the other 3 and hooking it back up again. Just a matter of time before another one is back...